• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
FB_IMG_1652568561909.jpg
FB_IMG_1652568565878.jpg

Daka

I own a Purifi Eval 1 and LS 50 Metas, and I would have no problem switching to these as my primary L+R provided they deliver full range, with low distortion at higher volume, and similar levels of smooth Kef directivity. Seems like a poor man's Blade, but with one issue---long term support. My understanding is that KEF has already stopped supporting their original Wirless LS 50's which is, I think, outrageous. I can't imagine how I would feel if I forked over $6k for LS 60 Wireless speakers and found out that a scant 4-5 years later they would have to go to a landfill first time something busted on them. Also, how long is the warranty on these guys? Longer than the warranty on the LS 50 Wireless, I hope, which was only one year. I'll be following the support aspect for this product with avid interest.

I'll probably get an audition on these sometime later in the year, and if I do anything, it will be next year's project.
That’s what I was wondering about - how long the support will be for. That is a good reason why we don’t see more active design speakers in audiophile space. If amp section dies you will have a problem. You can bet, as they already hinted, power section is custom so repairability is unknown. Someone should ask them that. Spending 6k on something that will have less then 10 year life is not ideal.

sweetmusic

Indeed, it looks like WiSa is indeed supported by LS50 Wireless II, and probably LS60 as well:

View attachment 206684

If there is some other big annoucement coming from KEF this summer, I bet it has something to do with this...

At the moment WiSa is probably already in use when you wirelessly link up the second speaker.
If I worked for KEF, here's what I might be planning:

- launch LSX wireless ii
- develop a proprietary home theater streaming hub with Dirac, Dolby Atmos, and all of the inputs their wireless speakers already have
- support multi-room audio with the hub
- launch a ceiling mount speaker for Dolby Atmos
- offer a slight discount for bundles, like 5.2, 7.2.2, and 7.2.2

If their existing wireless speakers won't support all of that, enough people will sell them and upgrade. WiSa isn't sufficient, if I understand correctly, since it doesn't support that many speakers. I'm not sure what the technical solution would be, but I'm sure there are ways.

The prices definitely add up. But people could build the system gradually, and if the tech stabilizes a bit, KEF could make it possible for people to upgrade their main left/right speakers and move the old generation to surrounds or other rooms. Keep them on the upgrade treadmill until they've got 20 KEF speakers around the house, plus a streamer or satellite in every room.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s what I was wondering about - how long the support will be for. That is a good reason why we don’t see more active design speakers in audiophile space. If amp section dies you will have a problem. You can bet, as they already hinted, power section is custom so repairability is unknown. Someone should ask them that. Spending 6k on something that will have less then 10 year life is not ideal.
Personally, I think support should be indefinite. I understand McIntosh still repairs stuff it sold from the 1950's. If Kef wants to sell me something that costs $6000, I should be given the assurance the product will not only outlive me, but also my descendants.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I own a Purifi Eval 1 and LS 50 Metas, and I would have no problem switching to these as my primary L+R provided they deliver full range, with low distortion at higher volume, and similar levels of smooth Kef directivity. Seems like a poor man's Blade, but with one issue---long term support. My understanding is that KEF has already stopped supporting their original Wirless LS 50's which is, I think, outrageous. I can't imagine how I would feel if I forked over $6k for LS 60 Wireless speakers and found out that a scant 4-5 years later they would have to go to a landfill first time something busted on them. Also, how long is the warranty on these guys? Longer than the warranty on the LS 50 Wireless, I hope, which was only one year. I'll be following the support aspect for this product with avid interest.

I'll probably get an audition on these sometime later in the year, and if I do anything, it will be next year's project.
One year on electronics!

Descartes

Major Contributor
The release of the LS50 did not phase out the R3, so I wouldn't be too sure.

To think of it, I haven't seen a multichannel system with ls50's, but I guess it is doable.
Done 7.2.4 in a small room and they work wonders with two subs!

Ciobi69

Do you have the room size to use them? Because the cheap part will be the amp, the place to put them, not so much.

The idea of the separate box for streaming and connections is quite clever. It streamlines the process of getting a multichannel system without having to overpay for several pairs. KEF engineers, listen to this man! And release a center and atmos self powered versions!

I think Dali has the active options too.
I will have a bigger room at the end of the year, they probably fill my space good,and i already have the amplifiers, i did find a pair for 13k euros, sounds a normal/good price for a pair of blade 1,now that the meta version is available i think they could cost a little bit less,i think they are definitive for a speaker

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"totally not true" because you're the anecdotal exception? lol. i guess we'll ignore the "totally not true" decades of sales and marketing et al data, because one persons says "i totally would". tbh, not unexpected considering what else i've seen from you
Actually that is the way logical statements work. A singular exception proves a generic statement wrong. Logic 101. Catch up sometime. And by the way my statement got good support. I can live with the fact you're not onboard.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Actually that is the way logical statements work. A singular exception proves a generic statement wrong. Logic 101. Catch up sometime. And by the way my statement got good support. I can live with the fact you're not onboard.
It's not the way "totally not true" works though. :cool:

stren

Forum Donor
Indeed, it looks like WiSa is indeed supported by LS50 Wireless II, and probably LS60 as well:

View attachment 206684

If there is some other big annoucement coming from KEF this summer, I bet it has something to do with this...

At the moment WiSa is probably already in use when you wirelessly link up the second speaker.

When I realized how thin this was the first thing to come to mind was the ls60c version. The thinness is perfect to fit under a tv. Re center the speakers add in some feet to lift it up and let the side woofers have space, put in multichannel decode and use it as a wisa hub.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I will have a bigger room at the end of the year, they probably fill my space good,and i already have the amplifiers, i did find a pair for 13k euros, sounds a normal/good price for a pair of blade 1,now that the meta version is available i think they could cost a little bit less,i think they are definitive for a speaker
Go for them then. Those speakers are super, super cool. Don't quote me on this, but I think I red about a user over here who got the drivers and crossovers updated to the new version.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think I would lose any transparency and clarify by not using my Purifi amp, relying only on the LS60's own amplification? In other words, if I feed a comparable passive floor speaker with a Purifi amp would I get any better quality?

I really hoped that KEF had used Purifi for powering LS60, and then it would be a no-brainer for me. I am just so happy with my Purifi amp+ RME ADI set up and I don't want to get any less of what I'm getting now,

Removing the passive xover more than makes up for anything lost , so I see no need to worry and some things actives do are simply impossible or very hard to do with passive .
For example the feedback and distortion cancellation done for the woofers in the ls60.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That doesn't sound good. Where is the crossover to the woofers and any idea how loud it's supposed to be able to play?

I'm starting to think my rig with two SB 2000s crossed over at 140 Hz will outperform it.
Crossover is at 390hz so it’s a true 3 way speaker , it will go louder than a ls50

Top Bottom