• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Arya Review (headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 54 18.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 135 45.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 96 32.3%

• Total voters

abhishek

I've read through this several times, and I'm still not sure what you mean by "the drivers can make use of substantially more power" and how that differs from any other electromechanical transducer? Do you really mean they are a low distortion driver?
Yes, Arya can handle huge deep bass notes without distorting highs, but my dynamic driver hd 598SE open-back starts distorting and clipping for normal bass content itself.
Previously I was using topping a50s amp which output 2W/ch, even at full volume and gain maxed, bass response was weak, less layered, less punchy, but with A30 pro with 5W/ch, deep bass notes can go way beyond my expectation without distorting highs.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some more calculations for you.

90dB/mW = 104dB/V (35 ohm)
Amir measured 107dB/V (30 ohm) = 92dB/mW

Slightly more sensitive than HD650 but way less efficient (HD650 = 100dB/mW)

I have actually measured the voltages applied to a HD650 which was playing at uncomfortable loud levels and reached peaks of 5.3V
As the sensitivity is closely the same you also will probably not have exceeded 5V = 0.7W

Edition XX:
Impedance: 20Ω
Efficiency: 93dB/mW
Sensitivity: 110dB/V

As you are a retired electrician... When you have a lightbulb that is 6V and 10W and you feed it via a regulated power supply that can provide 20W or one that can provide 1000W yet both supply 6V (and thus the power draw = 10W) does the lightbulb suddenly shine differently ?
Ha, I like the lightbulb analogy solderdude! Hard to refute that.

@Ezees you surely understand as an electrician how you you can't be right with your assertions about using overpowered amps with excess headroom translates to better listening experience with your headphones, it's just illogical that you can believe what you are posting. Surely you can understand the explanations that solderdude has been giving you. My personal opinion is that you are trolling......I think you've got a history of posting nonsense about DACS, etc, so this just inline with other nonsense you've posted in the past. Oh well.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning

@Ezees you surely understand as an electrician how you you can't be right with your assertions about using overpowered amps with excess headroom translates to better listening experience with your headphones, it's just illogical that you can believe what you are posting. Surely you can understand the explanations that solderdude has been giving you. My personal opinion is that you are trolling......I think you've got a history of posting nonsense about DACS, etc, so this just inline with other nonsense you've posted in the past. Oh well.
I came to a similar conclusion.

Ezees

I've tried the HE6 on a speaker amp. Waste of desk space. It literally doesn't matter.
So....you're saying that there was literally no change in the HE-6's presentation btwn a lower powered desktop amp and a much higher powered speaker amp??? While I respect your impression, it's hard to accept that a low powered desktop HP amp has the same capabilities as a much higher powered speaker amp on any HP - especially the HE-6 - what with the power differences btn the two amps (that is, unless both were listened to at the same lower volume). It seems to me that where the real differences lie are when the volume is increased and bass dynamics come in to play - with the speaker amp having more drive capabilities. There's also a point of going in with preconceived notions of what/how things will or won't sound with the volume turned up - with either pre-judged denial or acceptance of what is happening at high volume (this can be applied both ways). Oh well....some will, some won't....some do, some don't.

Ezees

First... you would have to make a speaker-tap to 6.3mm adapter. Most power amps have audible noise when connected to the speaker terminals directly.
The output VOLTAGE will be the same when playing equally loud so NOTHING will change.
You can claim it does but it isn't in reality.

It could well be that your hearing (due to age) has become less sensitive and you need 10 to 20dB more power than younger folks.
In that case it would make sense that you need 130dB peaks to get a sensation of playing 'impressively loud' (110dB peaks).
This is the only thing that would make sense that you need that power.
Your profile states you are 53 that's younger than I am so you will have retired at a young age or your actual age is higher than your profile mentions.

gr1.jpg
Yep, on both accounts. I have been able to retire/claim disability as a result of injuries to my shoulders during my Marine Corps service years, my age, and the nature of my injuries. On the latter, I can still hear well up to about ~17Khz in both ears - with anything higher I would have to strain but it is discernable as a very low volume tone - no need to "boost volume due to insensitivity" to hear under ~17K. PSA: Always use hearing protection folks - no matter if in the field, on the range, or building something at home. The last point is pretty cynical - why would I lie about my age???...I'm a survivor and really fortunate to still be here....

Ezees

Yes, Arya can handle huge deep bass notes without distorting highs, but my dynamic driver hd 598SE open-back starts distorting and clipping for normal bass content itself.
Previously I was using topping a50s amp which output 2W/ch, even at full volume and gain maxed, bass response was weak, less layered, less punchy, but with A30 pro with 5W/ch, deep bass notes can go way beyond my expectation without distorting highs.
This^^^ is part of what I mean. The real differences show up in the bass and it's pretty easy to discern with HPs (and speakers) capable of deep bass. Low power vs high power makes all the difference with capable HPs and speakers, IMO - if not in HF SQ proper, definitely in bass (and the low mids presentation if the bass distortion influences those).

Last edited:

Ezees

I've read through this several times, and I'm still not sure what you mean by "the drivers can make use of substantially more power" and how that differs from any other electromechanical transducer? Do you really mean they are a low distortion driver?
Yes, low distortion drivers are a part of what I mean - esp. in the bass, when driven with lo power vs a hi power amp. The HP or speaker must first be able to play at higher volumes w/o gross distortion - the Arya has them.

Ezees

No such thing as too much power. More power simply allows one to use higher volumes w/o the amp reaching high distortion levels - headroom. Definitely translates to a better listening experience vs low powered amps via the higher distortion due to the strain of clipping. Not trolling, real world experiences. Some choose to disbelieve and disparage w/o even putting it to the test....blinders on.

Last edited:

Ezees

You say nonsense, but don't own the HPs and won't even try to experiment....wow.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No matter how much power an amplifier has the frequency response does not change.
At higher levels, if anything, most headphones start to compress/softclip at higher levels reducing bass levels and increasing odd harmonics.
Planars (not only Arya) usually do not do this.

Below the frequency response of the (very similar) Edition XX at 4 different SPL levels (input power levels)
compression EdXX.png

Below the same traces but overlaid so you can see if the tonal balance changes at higher power levels. (note different scale
compression EdXX overlay.png

You see... no more bass at higher (power) levels, no change.
What does happen is that your perception changes at higher levels.
You would need to increase listening levels substantially and reach peaks well over 125dB peak SPL which according to you is unlikely as you would need to be wearing hearing protection to listen to these at power levels well above 2W.

Given the fact that your hearing is dear to you you never play loud you probably never reach >110dB (so power drawn is well below 0.1W,
What would be the mechanism responsible for your observations.

And please don't come with the 'you have to try it' there has got to be science behind it.
It would have to be measurable for this to be audible.

Last edited:

edahl

So....you're saying that there was literally no change in the HE-6's presentation btwn a lower powered desktop amp and a much higher powered speaker amp??? While I respect your impression, it's hard to accept that a low powered desktop HP amp has the same capabilities as a much higher powered speaker amp on any HP - especially the HE-6 - what with the power differences btn the two amps (that is, unless both were listened to at the same lower volume). It seems to me that where the real differences lie are when the volume is increased and bass dynamics come in to play - with the speaker amp having more drive capabilities. There's also a point of going in with preconceived notions of what/how things will or won't sound with the volume turned up - with either pre-judged denial or acceptance of what is happening at high volume (this can be applied both ways). Oh well....some will, some won't....some do, some don't.
This was a blind AB test. Both I and someone convinced there was an enormous difference did it. A Primare speaker amp vs the RME ADI-2 DAC. There was no discernible difference, we both failed, the emperor has no clothes, stop bullshitting and let's move.

Ezees

Given the fact that your hearing is dear to you you never play loud you probably never reach >110dB
Conjecture. I do on occassion play loud with both HPs and speakers - though not continuously. To do so during extended listening sessions is just inviting ringing and more long-term hearing problems. I try to avoid that.
And please don't come with the 'you have to try it' there has got to be science behind it.
There is no such "need" nor requirement to have a whole science project behind a simple at-home listening experiment...no need to complicate a simple listening experiment/experience.
It would have to be measurable for this to be audible.
Not at all necessary to be measureable to be audible or discernable....

P.S. You may be mistaken about what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that having extra power on tap changes how the Arya (or a speaker) fundamentally sounds (as far as FR goes, and outside of lower distortion) - as a result of the extra power. What I am saying is that the extra power will allow the Arya (or speaker) to be driven to much higher levels (without restraint other than ears or the drivers), while facilitating much better bass depth and dynamics from it - and overall a much different listening experience (better, IMO) than when powered from low-powered HP amps that can't be turned up w/o sounding lean or distorted. They will no longer be called "lean" or "wimpy" in the bass - an altogether fun, impressive, and fulfilling listening experience, IMHO.

Ezees

This was a blind AB test. Both I and someone convinced there was an enormous difference did it. A Primare speaker amp vs the RME ADI-2 DAC. There was no discernible difference, we both failed, the emperor has no clothes, stop bullshitting and let's move.
Let me guess, volume matched and at a medium (or lower) volume. The difference lies when the volume goes past a point that the RME is uncomfortable with. Moving on indeed....

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh boy, sublime to ridiculous. Even when presented with evidence you're in denial, so there is no basis for a rational or logical argument, and have no objective data to support your theory. This is the premise literally of flat earthers.

edahl

Let me guess, volume matched and at a medium (or lower) volume. The difference lies when the volume goes past a point that the RME is uncomfortable with. Moving on indeed....
Normalised at a high but listenable volume, higher than I usually listen and at a level where sighted the Believer was convinced the difference was completely obvious.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What I am saying is that the extra power will allow the Arya (or speaker) to be driven to much higher levels (without restraint other than ears or the drivers), while facilitating much better bass depth and dynamics from it

And I already shown you that the extra Watts will not be used so there is no benefit.
Yes, a higher output voltage does allow the Arya to play louder but the power levels you speak of means SPL levels well over 120dB SPL peaks.
It seems you have no idea how loud this is. Playing at peak levels over 2W is anything but enjoyable on the Arya so it is highly unlikely you ever reached those levels when it comes to music enjoyment.

Speakers is a totally different matter by the way. Not comparable in any way.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point I think we should stop feeding the troll, multiple people have explained how "overpowered" amps will not improve/change any area of headphone listening experience. I think the dude's just bored.

Ezees

Oh boy, sublime to ridiculous. Even when presented with evidence you're in denial, so there is no basis for a rational or logical argument, and have no objective data to support your theory. This is the premise literally of flat earthers.
Doubting w/o trying is simply a pre-judgement belief. I have nothing to prove to you - also, the Earth is a wobbly orb.

Ezees

Normalised at a high but listenable volume, higher than I usually listen and at a level where sighted the Believer was convinced the difference was completely obvious.
What levels were those?...and with the Arya v2 which has been described as "lean" and/or "wimpy bass"? Not so with much more power though...

Ezees

And I already shown you that the extra Watts will not be used so there is no benefit.
Yes, a higher output voltage does allow the Arya to play louder but the power levels you speak of means SPL levels well over 120dB SPL peaks.
It seems you have no idea how loud this is. Playing at peak levels over 2W is anything but enjoyable on the Arya so it is highly unlikely you ever reached those levels when it comes to music enjoyment.

Speakers is a totally different matter by the way. Not comparable in any way.
I stand by the my experiences with the V2. I also had the Stealth/V3 side by side with the v2 and it doesn't require nearly as much power nor as much effort in amplifier matching compared to the v2. Altogether a substantially more dynamic HP in the bass in comparison.

Top Bottom