• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Chu

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had no luck fixing the tonality with swapping tips. (didn't really expect it to work, because it mostly influences the bass region) I tried Spinfit 240 L. The seal with those is great. The comfort is ...so, so ... (deep insertion).
So next tip-rolling attempts are experiments purely for my own comfort and fit.
I really need to find a good EQ that works with FB2000 on Android (Wavelet doesn't work). ...or get a better player on Android with PEQ integrated.
Or a dongle with EQ like Qudelix.

RHO

Major Contributor
Or a dongle with EQ like Qudelix.

I'm quite happy with my iBasso DC03. If I can't find a satisfactory Android solution that could be an option for the future.
I actually don't use my phone as a source too often. But since I had to change my desk setup my IEM cables are too short. (extension cable coming in soon ;) ) So this is temporary.

RHO

Major Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that PEQ is an in app purchase. Is that right?
I can't recall if crossfeed is included in the free version but if not its in the DSP pack. Main eq is either 6 band with a graphical display or 10 bands without. Well worth it for local files, qobuz or tidal streaming but doesn't work for Spotify /amazon etc

RHO

Major Contributor
I did a graph comparison and discovered an interesting tweak while doing so.
Still doesn't explain why I think these are so bright and shouty compared to the B2Dusk.
B2Dusk_vs_Chu.png

The Chu is a little louder from 1kHz to 8kHz, but not dramatically so.

RHO

Major Contributor
I can't recall if crossfeed is included in the free version but if not its in the DSP pack. Main eq is either 6 band with a graphical display or 10 bands without. Well worth it for local files, qobuz or tidal streaming but doesn't work for Spotify /amazon etc
My main use is local files and albums purchased on Qobuz and Bandcamp. Either way I can download the purchased albums and play them as local files. So I should be fine.

stephen4567

I did a graph comparison and discovered an interesting tweak while doing so.
Still doesn't explain why I think these are so bright and shouty compared to the B2Dusk.
View attachment 206460
The Chu is a little louder from 1kHz to 8kHz, but not dramatically so.
I see two vents on the back of my Chu, which one are you covering? Both?

RHO

Major Contributor
I see two vents on the back of my Chu, which one are you covering? Both?
None, because I'm also not sure which one they mean. I think it's the one furthest from the nozzle, but not 100% positive on that.

I got them to sound really good now. How? I shoved them really deep into my ears.
I guess the nozzles on these are just too short, for me, creating some annoying resonance and some seal issues I do not have with the B2Dusk.
I have plenty of different tips to try out. So maybe there's a type that will create a good seal and fit deep enough without getting too uncomfortable. (Yes, I have strange ear canal entrances and have struggled with this in the past. => Tin T2 plus)

Last edited:

Astojab

I got the Chu Wednesday and after listening for a bit longer I really like them. Compared to the other cheap IEM's Iown, the CCA CRA and the KZ CRN they are better and more neutral. The CCA has more base and more Highs, but drown out mids while the CRN is....weird. The Chu is the most balanced. The base is imo the weakspot, since its there and you can here alle the deep notes, but its nothing exceptional. As stated before with the default tips its actually pretty weak, with the Moondrop Foam tips better.

Compared to my current daily driver the AKG N400 (bascially the closes you get to the Harman Target without EQ) it again has less base and more mellow upper Mids and Highs highs, but actually similar clarity and interestingly enough a better soundstage (probably because it has no ANC). All in I really like it. To my ears its pretty relax, while having good clarity and a great fit. For people that don't like the Harman bass boost its probably worth the buy.

RHO

Major Contributor
Moondrop Foam tips
I'm actually using them now too. Best fit of any tips I had tried. Sounds great now that I have a good seal.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
So these arrived today. Looking at the packaging, I was wondering if drunk me ordered something that I shouldn't have

rzyz04m7viy81.jpg

But then I remembered :D

As I said, these are my first IEMs. I put them in my ears and was wondering how they are supposed to fit.
So I started googling and then I saw they come with ear tips hahaha.

The tips are very frustrating to get on if you've never done it. Best method I found was flipping them over so you can hold the harder part in your fingers and then "roll" them on by twisting them against the IEMs. At first the sound was really not good, it was lacking bass, very trebly kinda hollowed out. I thought it had to do with the fit, so I tried all of the tips included which didn't change anything to my frustration.

I thought maybe it was the headphone amp (Geshelli Archel 2) so I connected them to my phone. They sounded much better. Long story short, my 6,3mm -> 3,5mm adaptor didn't fit the Moondrop plug correctly :facepalm:.

Soundwise, if this is the Harman curve, it is too bright for me. Too much highend and not enough bass. I am really surprised people like listening to music like this. Like yes there is a lot of detail but it just lacks soul. I am clearly in the minority here since I belong to the 14% who voted "No, I like even more bass!"

I hope it will be included AutoEQ soon so I can play with EQ. In this ticket https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/issues/450 somebody posted some settings and they already make it better.

Code:
Preamp: -12 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 1.000
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 6000 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 2.000

166138922-62cda02c-8798-4df3-9bbe-d41b36082386 (1).png

So for music they are ok, but where they really shine for me is gaming. I tried a lot to hear enemies better in competitive FPS games and these IEMs are a gamechanger. I can hear so many details and locate enemies so well it's amazing, and I don't even have to turn them up very loud for that. Would definitely recommend to check this out, for the price you can't go wrong IMHO.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So these arrived today. Looking at the packaging, I was wondering if drunk me ordered something that I shouldn't have

View attachment 206623

As I said, these are my first IEMs. I put them in my ears and was wondering how they are supposed to fit.

The tips are very frustrating to get on if you've never done it. Best method I found was flipping them over so you can hold the harder part in your fingers and then "roll" them on by twisting them against the IEMs. At first the sound was really not good, it was lacking bass, very trebly kinda hollowed out. I thought it had to do with the fit, so I tried all of the tips included which didn't change anything to my frustration.

I thought maybe it was the headphone amp (Geshelli Archel 2) so I connected them to my phone. They sounded much better. Long story short, my 6,3mm -> 3,5mm adaptor didn't fit the Moondrop plug correctly :facepalm:.

Soundwise, if this is the Harman curve, it is too bright for me. Too much highend and not enough bass. I am really surprised people like listening to music like this. Like yes there is a lot of detail but it just lacks soul. I am clearly in the minority here since I belong to the 14% who voted "No, I like even more bass!"

I hope it will be included AutoEQ soon so I can play with EQ. In this ticket https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/issues/450 somebody posted some settings and they already make it better.

Code:

View attachment 206625

So for music they are ok, but where they really shine for me is gaming. I tried a lot to hear enemies better in competitive FPS games and these IEMs are a gamechanger. I can hear so many details and locate enemies so well it's amazing, and I don't even have to turn them up very loud for that. Would definitely recommend to check this out, for the price you can't go wrong IMHO.
I suspect you still haven't got the seal correct/ deep enough. When you get it decent, you should get the same effect when you speak /hum as if you'd put your palms over your ears.

This may be to do with how the shell sits in your ear contours, might be tip size /type or just be not pushing deep enough in.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I suspect you still haven't got the seal correct/ deep enough. When you get it decent, you should get the same effect when you speak /hum as if you'd put your palms over your ears.
I have that. The effect is very apparent I think

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have that. The effect is very apparent I think
Then yup, you just need more bass! Mine still havent left Shenzhen so I have no frame of reference other than other IEM with similar FR.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 206623

Code:

View attachment 206625

This is not supposed to be tuned to Harman. Actually it has less bass than Harman curve, and if you prefer more than the Harman curve, that is why you felt it too bass light.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I extracted crinacle's plots https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/moondrop-chu/ and put them through AutoEQ. This is how I like it:

Code:
Preamp: -5.2 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 12 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 0.29
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 180 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 0.04
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1476 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 2.24
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2406 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 1.29
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 19323 Hz Gain -11.7 dB Q 0.52
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6582 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.49
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 9077 Hz Gain 1.9 dB Q 1.36
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 15401 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 1.67

chu.png

Top Bottom