• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli JNOG Review (Balanced DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 39 18.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 98 46.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 32.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

H-713

That 2020 interview was the only one I recall existing at the time. No one is expecting a "gabfest" but he came across as disengaged and disinterested. His wife had to fill the vacuum to keep the discussion flowing. Contrast this with the countless YouTube interviews with Jason Stoddard and the one I linked to with John Seaber. Those are engaging and enlightening.
There are a good many engineers who would come across that way on video. Most of the really good engineers I know are pretty quiet and do not interview well.

I don't see why you're judging the company based off how much their engineer talks in an interview. Seems pretty irrelevant to me - I just care if they can produce a good product, which it looks like they can.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These comments are pathetic and very sexist. How about YOU interact with Geno, ever think of that rather than being so judgmental from a video? He talks quite a bit in my interview and quite frankly, in person; he's a different person. Teddy Bear like.

While JDS and Geshelli sell similar products, there are reason(s) one would choose one or the both of them and that's certainly up to the buyer. I'm glad that there isn't a one size fits all...both have SOTA objective quality run by USA companies and that is certainly something us within the USA should be embracing.

dseong

1652368357681.jpeg

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I think responding to all your comments at once is an easier task.

I purchased my first DAC from them, the original JNOG. I started to use it with coax and everything was dandy. Paid 50 for usb so I gave that a shot and noticed there’s a ticking sound during any audio transmission.

I reached out and they told me try the driver. I installed the driver on my pc and was using coax to feed it and coax stopped working. The driver did something to my pc so the usb output was not working on other devices for audio out.

So I reached out to them and said what gives. Gino was like well it’s your pc and there’s nothing we can do which is fair.

However I paid 50 dollars for that usb and to use it my computer basically becomes crippled. Did you not double check to see if this may have been issue.

I wasn’t trying to be rude, but asked for my money back on the USB. They said we can’t do that even after I clearly explained the situation.

Honestly I realize they are a small business and that’s the first time they ever use usb but if there’s a flaw whose fault is that?

My pc is just a standard windows 10, not sure what that driver is doing but either way I can’t use the usb without it and if I did use it I can’t use any other device.

Just kind of feel like the approach wasn’t right, they never apologized or tried to be considerate or worse thought I was a liar.

That’s why for me I was like this is dumb, I tried to support small business and basically got left in the dust. Losing one customer may not be anything to them but leads me to question their practices.

I can’t say how jds or Schitt would of handled it. But I’m certain it would have been in that manner. I know the usb was very limited on that first run of the JNOG as when I requested they had to check if it was still available to add to my unit.

So who knows how many people this may have affected and I am running a fairly common operating system
Well I can tell you that Schiit was so upset about me finding out that exact problem in 2017 that they tried their best to destroy me. This is before I found this forum and overall they got exposed.
However they were scamming everyone super hard with broken USB modules and garbage audio quality and the HeadFi leadership was helping them to do it. Other brands were afraid to even say something because their grip on the forums was so large that the other brands didn't want to be de-platformed.
They did offer me a refund for everything I had purchased though if I would promise to go away and not talk about their problems anymore LOL

MacCali

Major Contributor
There are a good many engineers who would come across that way on video. Most of the really good engineers I know are pretty quiet and do not interview well.

I don't see why you're judging the company based off how much their engineer talks in an interview. Seems pretty irrelevant to me - I just care if they can produce a good product, which it looks like they can.
Hmmmm I don’t mean to create a stir, but according to Geno it’s not even him who chooses the dacs in his products.

They have some expert who listens to his “work” and chooses the best dac based on what sounds good. These are words out of his mouth lol

I don’t think it takes an engineer to produce a dac in this decade. Remember he started his own DIY dacs even further back. Ironically dude himself is saying it’s not even his final call what is the final launch product. There’s an audiophile who calls the shot.

Remember the mission was he couldn’t afford good dacs so he had to go diy to make something good and affordable.

Clearly those days are over and I think that company with that type of customer service isn’t going to last unless we start to see numbers.

I’m not upset about that he isn’t an engineer or quiet one that is shy. But I know that would turn many heads on here, we listened and it sounded good. Cause we all know how that goes when something sounds good yet measures caca.

Probably why they ran away from measurements

But I am upset that they sent me a faulty product with 3rd grader developed driver. Maybe amanero just send a bunch of useless USB’s for a dirt cheap price. Who really knows.. but that was a waste of time and my money. Maybe the audiophile Golden ear chose that too.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Being a troll doesn't do anything. If you have read this thread, Geshelli's own website or watched any interview you'd know that they own a $35k Audio Precision APx555. So no, they're not running away from measurements. :facepalm:

Swtoby

But I am upset that they sent me a faulty product with 3rd grader developed driver. Maybe amanero just send a bunch of useless USB’s for a dirt cheap price. Who really knows.. but that was a waste of time and my money. Maybe the audiophile Golden ear chose that too.
I had the same USB issue, but the driver worked on my Windows 10. They were also very responsive to a defective item and replaced immediately and paid for shipping. I also requested another case to swap out one I had for variety and they gave it to me for free. My experience with their customer service has been excellent and I have read of similar experiences. I suspect you are omitting some details from your account.

H-713

"Ran away from measurements" isn't a term I'd use to describe a company that sells a DAC with a SINAD of 109 dB.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Being a troll doesn't do anything. If you have read this thread, Geshelli's own website or watched any interview you'd know that they own a $35k Audio Precision APx555. So no, they're not running away from measurements. :facepalm:

Don't call forum members trolls.

Isn't it true that you are financially compensated by Geshelli Labs to promote the company? You run a YouTube channel where you possibly do paid "interviews" for companies such as Geshelli Labs to boost their social media presence. If that's the case you would in effect be acting as press relations agent and media curator. I see no difference between that and the paid-promotional mock interviews that appear on late-night television.

Finding you pop up on this thread running defense for Geshelli Labs so ardently and attacking other members does strike me as unseemly if you have been compensated by that company.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Isn't it true that you are financially compensated by Geshelli Labs to promote the company? You run a YouTube channel where you do paid "interviews" for companies such as Geshelli Labs to boost their social media presence. In affect you are a press relations agent and media curator. I see no difference between what you do and the paid-promotional mock interviews that appear on late-night television.

Finding you pop up on this thread running defense for Geshelli Labs so ardently and attacking other members does strike me as unseemly if you have been compensated by that company.
hahaha. paid? Clearly you haven't read or listened to anything I've said. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that FAQ. But your aggressive defense of the company doesn't seem to jive with it.
That's because my defense of facts do not align with your agenda.

H-713

I read that FAQ. But your aggressive defense of the company doesn't seem to jive with it.
And your aggressive attack on the company doesn't seem to be based off anything solid. It's almost like you have a strong desire to hate the company, and had to look really hard to find something to complain about.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I’m not the one saying that, the original post that lit this thread up mentioned that. That they are not submitting their products to asr or something along those lines.

Then they were riding D when their products were shining.

But the fact is I’m not trolling. You know the company history probably better than me, you know more about them then I do

So you should know why the company started and how now it’s reaching obsolescence

MacCali

Major Contributor
I had the same USB issue, but the driver worked on my Windows 10. They were also very responsive to a defective item and replaced immediately and paid for shipping. I also requested another case to swap out one I had for variety and they gave it to me for free. My experience with their customer service has been excellent and I have read of similar experiences. I suspect you are omitting some details from your account.
Yea man wth they didn’t do that for me and they’re just like let it be. @jtwrace says they got a 35,000 dollar analyzer but they didn’t want to give me 50 dollars back for a messed up usb.

Or offer to fix or replace or any alternative.

Let alone simply say sorry we weren’t aware of this issue, it didn’t happen for us. Maybe try a different pc and see if the issue continues. I got none of that

AKA being professional. Not broski vibe, can’t do nothing for you bud it’s on you and this is my first DAC how could I ever suggest this company to anyone

And is it wrong of me to provide my experience to others who ask about company? Hell no

Geshelli

Audio Company
Wow... Where to begin....

First for all in case you didn't know...I own Geshelli. I started the company. My concept, my money and my gumption got it off the ground. Yes, love it or hate it, there is an audio company owned and operated by a female. We are going on our fifth year so we're doing something right. I am proud of what we've built and yes, I will do the talking if I feel like it,

I guess I'd like to address @MacCali The situation you described doesn't sound like something we would normally do. Please send an email so I can look into the situation.

As far as choosing the DAC chip, where did you hear that? Geno designs everything we have. We are working with his longtime friend on our amp, but the DAC is all Geno.
Hmmmm I don’t mean to create a stir, but according to Geno it’s not even him who chooses the dacs in his products.

They have some expert who listens to his “work” and chooses the best dac based on what sounds good. These are words out of his mouth lol

I don’t think it takes an engineer to produce a dac in this decade. Remember he started his own DIY dacs even further back. Ironically dude himself is saying it’s not even his final call what is the final launch product. There’s an audiophile who calls the shot.

Remember the mission was he couldn’t afford good dacs so he had to go diy to make something good and affordable.

Clearly those days are over and I think that company with that type of customer service isn’t going to last unless we start to see numbers.

I’m not upset about that he isn’t an engineer or quiet one that is shy. But I know that would turn many heads on here, we listened and it sounded good. Cause we all know how that goes when something sounds good yet measures caca.

WE DO NOT PAY FOR REVIEWS-We don't even have affiliate links, and no, people speaking positively on forums are also not paid by Geshelli.

Isn't it true that you are financially compensated by Geshelli Labs to promote the company? You run a YouTube channel where you possibly do paid "interviews" for companies such as Geshelli Labs to boost their social media presence. If that's the case you would in effect be acting as press relations agent and media curator. I see no difference between that and the paid-promotional mock interviews that appear on late-night television.

The rest of what @Tortie said I'm not going to address. He can say what he wants about the product, design, philosophy etc. I am only going to address the false statement that we pay for reviews.

Lastly, @JohnSeabar is an awesome person who we think very highly of at Geshelli.

MacCali

Major Contributor
And your aggressive attack on the company doesn't seem to be based off anything solid. It's almost like you have a strong desire to hate the company, and had to look really hard to find something to complain about.
Honestly not here to attack, debate, or anything besides being forthcoming about my experience. I mentioned everything I said way way back on this very thread and there was no flurry.

Am I mad about 50 dollars? Nope.
Do I feel people should be aware this is the possible service you will receive? Yes.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Wow... Where to begin....

First for all in case you didn't know...I own Geshelli. I started the company. My concept, my money and my gumption got it off the ground. Yes, love it or hate it, there is an audio company owned and operated by a female. We are going on our fifth year so we're doing something right. I am proud of what we've built and yes, I will do the talking if I feel like it,

I guess I'd like to address @MacCali The situation you described doesn't sound like something we would normally do. Please send an email so I can look into the situation.

As far as choosing the DAC chip, where did you hear that? Geno designs everything we have. We are working with his longtime friend on our amp, but the DAC is all Geno.

WE DO NOT PAY FOR REVIEWS-We don't even have affiliate links, and no, people speaking positively on forums are also not paid by Geshelli.

The rest of what @Tortie said I'm not going to address. He can say what he wants about the product, design, philosophy etc. I am only going to address the false statement that we pay for reviews.

Lastly, @JohnSeabar is an awesome person who we think very highly of at Geshelli.
I’m not here to now fix an issue that wasn’t taken care of originally.

I just was typing at the same time you were posting. Read what I said.. I ain’t mad but I feel people should know this.

I clearly seen your videos and it is what it is, not hating on that, your measurements or anything. Some people on here have different agenda than mine.

Other than that I am certain there isn’t much for you to say on my opinion as mostly everything is or very close to accurate cause it’s not an attack. Rather what I feel is reality.

Ain’t nothing here I said that I wouldn’t say to your face and that’s how I roll

Geshelli

Audio Company
I’m not here to now fix an issue that wasn’t taken care of originally.

I just was typing at the same time you were posting. Read what I said.. I ain’t mad but I feel people should know this.

I clearly seen your videos and it is what it is, not hating on that, your measurements or anything. Some people on here have different agenda than mine.

Other than that I am certain there isn’t much for you to say on my opinion as mostly everything is or very close to accurate cause it’s not an attack. Rather what I feel is reality.

Ain’t nothing here I said that I wouldn’t say to your face and that’s how I roll
I have no problem with you not liking something, You description is what didn't make much sense to me. If something didn't work with your setup, we offer a return. I looked back through my emails trying to find one that basically said "too bad, so sad, you're out of luck" I couldn't find anything like that so I would like to see your situation.

I would also like to know where you heard Geno didn't choose our designs/DAC chips. Again, that is misinformation and I wrote in to correct it.

If you do not feel the need to write in, that's ok with me. I was just trying to clarify the situation you had as it isn't our norm.

Top Bottom