• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions about the different ICEpower module series

Roland68

Major Contributor
I'm less concerned with technical questions and data, but rather with areas of application, tonal aspects and differences.
The technical possibilities and connections of the modules can be viewed in the data sheets and brochures.
I left out the extension modules (hanger modules) because otherwise it would become even more confusing.

ASX2 series
- are audiophile (manufacturer's statement) 2-channel/stereo hi-fi consumer modules, the ASX2BTL is bridged by default. But they are also intended for professional use.

ASP series
- Modules are particularly robust for professional use, especially on tour.

AS series (for me the most obscure series)
- Rock-solid sound solutions, intelligent performance audio amplifiers, for highly competitive consumer devices and professional audio applications.
- The main differences from other modules are said to be excellent audio performance, reliability, ease of use, flexibility, as well as a wide range of features.
- among other things, the series consists of former modules of the ASC series (300ASC, 700ASC).
- All modules are also available as stereo/2-channel.

ASC series (currently only 200ASC, see AS series)
- for hi-fi and consumer applications and guitar/bass amps
- Sound Imports writes: ICEpower 200ASC is a fully integrated, intelligent audio power converter module specially designed for high-performance private and professional audio applications? and further: sound-optimized soft clipping

I find the AS series by far the most opaque.
- Where do these modules stand in terms of robustness and reliability? About the ASP or below?
- How do the mono modules compare to the ASP modules in terms of sound?
-- How do the stereo modules compare to the ASX2 modules in terms of sound?

Where is the 200ASC module? The module has been around for a very long time and I have version L here.
- Where do these modules stand in terms of robustness and reliability?
- Where are you generally tonally classified?
- How does the 200ASC relate to the sound of the 200AS1 or 250ASP?
- How do 2 pieces of 200ASC behave in terms of sound compared to a 125ASX2/250ASX2 or a 200AS2?

Are the ASP modules the most robust? And sonically?

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a pair of PS Audio Trio A-100's that have been rebuilt using the latest revision of the 200ASC module purchased from Parts Express. Unlike a lot of implementations of the 200ASC, the Trio does have an input buffer board that sits in front of the module, so it's not really the best example ever.

For what it's worth, I think they sound great, the tonality is very neutral/transparent, and I've never encountered a speaker load that seemed to challenge the amps in any way.

How do 2 pieces of 200ASC behave in terms of sound compared to a 125ASX2/250ASX2 or a 200AS2?
My Trio A-100's are a dual mono design, if that matters.. Here's a pic of what it looks like inside:

IMG_20210110_114652.jpg

What are you planning on using them for?

OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
I have a pair of PS Audio Trio A-100's that have been rebuilt using the latest revision of the 200ASC module purchased from Parts Express. Unlike a lot of implementations of the 200ASC, the Trio does have an input buffer board that sits in front of the module, so it's not really the best example ever.

For what it's worth, I think they sound great, the tonality is very neutral/transparent, and I've never encountered a speaker load that seemed to challenge the amps in any way.

My Trio A-100's are a dual mono design, if that matters.. Here's a pic of what it looks like inside:

View attachment 206131

What are you planning on using them for?
I can only assume that PS-Audio filters out DC components with the input circuit board and creates balanced signals for the modules from unbalanced signals.

I have different areas of application for the modules, mono blocks, stereo and multi-channel power amplifiers, active loudspeakers and subwoofers.
Unfortunately, the information on the area of application, durability and sound classification is very sparse or non-existent, or even contradictory.
I currently have two ASC200 modules to test on my workbench.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
As you pointed out, each ICEPower amp has its own data sheet freely available on their website. Data sheets which provide a ton of information and have been confirmed to be relatively accurate through various third-party testing, including several tests conducted here at ASR. You'd be hard pressed to find that sort of information and data published by most amplifier or amp chip manufacturers, with a few notable exceptions - Hypex, TI, Topping, etc.

As far as the sound of one amp being compared "sonically" to the sound of another... That request appears to be incredibly subjective in nature and probably doesn't fit in with the overall ASR culture, at least not in my humble opinion. But I am relatively new, so I would certainly defer to the opinions of other, more senior folks at ASR.

DWPress

Forum Donor
I've used a few ICEpower modules in recent years and do currently but for specific duties. I use active XO's done in software in front of an 8 channel DAC so even though I'm using a 1200AS2 it's only sending signals for the woofers. I used some 125ASX2's in BTL for my tweeters for a while as well. Sorry, never heard them hooked up to traditional speakers with passive XOs but I imagine they'd pretty much all sound the same in that application at any given SPL until individual distortion figures start making a difference at any given frequency.

I'd say the amps do just fine and have been tested by enough sources to pretty much trust the data sheets. Longevity? They've been around for some time now, the only complaints I ever hear about failure is usually the very common and numerous 125ASX2. There are many commercial branded amps and active speakers out there using these modules as well, some for over a decade.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I use the 1200as2 along with the 300a2 (the new edge hanger module) in my semi active setup for a couple of months.They have tons of control and indexing capabilities,they run 24/7 (auto stand by mode aftet 13 minutes) and they have been tested hard on occasions but yet I haven't see the clip of thermal limiting index go on. I have tried a lot of amps during the years (some exotic ones too!) but I think these did the trick for me.
Fully satisfied!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as I understand from their naming scheme:

Number - power in 4 ohms per channel
A - amplifier
S - power supply
X - multiple configurations (bridgeable)
P - professional, maybe an old code that was retired?
C - unknown, maybe an old code that was retired?
1/2 - channels

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Interesting to see speakers output cables enclosed by ferrite noise suppressor sleeve, what I only knew about 110/220V plug or HDMi/USB cable...
Perhaps because of SMPS?
Perhaps.. I hadn't noticed that to be honest, but it is unique in the audio world. I don't think the ferrite cuff could do any harm though, right?

Gis

Hi, I need to convert from unbalanced to the balanced input of 3 icepower modules;
200as, 700as and 1200as.
I’ve been looking buffet boards and transformer options. I think I would like to go the passive transformer way, but need more info on which ones have a wide and flat enough frequency response for a reasonable cost (around usd50-60 per stereo pair) and what impedance would be best; 600 x 600 or 10k x 10k ohm (no attenuation)

Does anybody have suggestions or recommendations for transformers or active unbalanced to balanced front end boards?

Thanks

Gis

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I need to convert from unbalanced to the balanced input of 3 icepower modules;
200as, 700as and 1200as.
I’ve been looking buffet boards and transformer options. I think I would like to go the passive transformer way, but need more info on which ones have a wide and flat enough frequency response for a reasonable cost (around usd50-60 per stereo pair) and what impedance would be best; 600 x 600 or 10k x 10k ohm (no attenuation)

Does anybody have suggestions or recommendations for transformers or active unbalanced to balanced front end boards?

Thanks

Gis
A belated welcome to ASR and congratulations to your first post!

Sparkfun offers a unbalanced to balanced converter board that is based on the THAT Corp 1646 IC. This module includes the 6 dB gain which raises the 2 V nominal voltage output of unbalanced signals to the 4 V nominal voltage of balanced signals. Member @rdenney built a converter using a pair of these modules and he seemed to be happy with them.

Top Bottom