• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The R11 is still passive, about 1K cheaper and will go louder and probably lower (it’s a reflex design). I bet the LS60 spinorama will be better though. LS60 for home cinema is also not ideal. You can only buy them in pairs, there is no center (LS50WII possibly?).

They should sell them individually, with WISA support for wireless home theater, and release a center version. That would make for a really cool setup!
Let's see what happens tomorrow.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The R11 is still passive, about 1K cheaper and will go louder and probably lower (it’s a reflex design). I bet the LS60 spinorama will be better though. LS60 for home cinema is also not ideal. You can only buy them in pairs, there is no center (LS50WII possibly?).

They should sell them individually, with WISA support for wireless home theater, and release a center version. That would make for a really cool setup!
You know extension is pointless with an active design right?

The KC62 technology will offer much more displacement than the R11.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You know extension is pointless with an active design right?
Dsp cannot fix maxSPL, only add compression to elevate driver destruction.
The KC62 technology will offer much more displacement than the R11.
How? Your still limited to xmax. The KC62 might have more xmax than the R11 drivers (it’s still 2 vs 4), yet the LS60 will not have as much Xmax, simply because there is no room. Best guess is that total displacement is about the same as R11, possibly a tiny bit better. But by all accounts it’s a closed design, so the R11 reflex will have a considerable advantage around the tuning frequency.

Reactions: Zvu

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a reasonable product. An LS666 could have 2000 watt of amplification for the added subwoofers. Unselleable? Sure! Fun? Even more so!
I wasn’t proposing any of that though..

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mh, then I prefer to save for additional 2 weeks and buy the portable version, it will be sold as Lotus Elektre.
For more or less the same money I will get 23 pcs. KEF speaker including a battery pack and some tiers for easy movement... :facepalm:

Lotus-Eletre-Hyper-SUV-mit-KEF-Reference-Sound-System-11.jpg

I tried the nice way to say the LS60 is overpriced, especially if you can DIY something compareable with a reasonable effort.
Yeah, I was thinking I was going to drop-ship one to @amirm but I was afraid he would take two years to fully test it, so I gave up on that idea.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I wasn’t proposing any of that though..
I would. :D

Now, on a more serious note, a center and atmos LS-based (aesthetically) would be something I´d love to use. Considering Erin´s recent review of center speakers, I´m sure the engineers on Kef could actually push them to interesting levels of excellence.

Yeah, I was thinking I was going to to drop-ship one to @amirm but I was afraid he would take two years to fully test it, so I gave up on that idea.:rolleyes:
Way back in the 90´s, Kef had a line of car speakers. I have no idea how good they are, I have never listened to them. I´m sure that some of us would love to have a renewed line available for integrating them on our vehicles.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The market wants an LS series. Give us LS series! lol :D

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The KEF KC62 has comparable max output to (one of) the 6.5 inch Purifi woofer. Which has like 10 cm of Xmax.
What? 10cm of excursion? Source of that info?

You do realize that the whole LS60 is only about 14cm wide…

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I meant that the Purifi has 10 cm xmax, and that nevertheless the KC62 offers comparable output while being the size of a football.

F1308

Major Contributor

14 cm wide plus 10 cm outboard times two sides...we need 34.01 cm for each.
Mmmm...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant that the Purifi has 10 cm xmax, and that nevertheless the KC62 offers comparable output while being the size of a football.
mm my friend, not cm ;)

You could probably fit two purifi’s in the same enclosure and get the same output. Parameters are obviously not ideal to do that efficiently, but other woofers can be found that might do better. This Tangband comes to mind for instance. It obviously won’t fit the 14cm of the LS60.

What makes the KC62 special though, besides to dual motor structures, is the feedback system. I hope the LS60 gets it too. Will be interesting to see how high that still works.

Reactions: Zvu

jstownse

As a LS50 WII owner I'm very glad that the LS60 is reported to use the same app. I know the LS50 WI users were not all that thrilled to be "left behind" with using the two original apps.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You mean like this? ;)
I´m quite surprised it actually feels like an evolution of something I used to have for years:

original.png

Make it with a passive option and yes, it´d have it blasting Carcass as the very first music played on it. :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
mm my friend, not cm ;)
I shouldn't browse this forum past my bed time lol.
You could probably fit two purifi’s in the same enclosure and get the same output.
It baffles me to this day how small the KC62 is while providing very respectable output, we're talking about 25cm cube. While you can physically fit two Purifis they would be practically choking.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It baffles me to this day how small the KC62 is while providing very respectable output, we're talking about 25cm cube.
lots of excursion and lots of power (handling), combined with a thin enclosure and feedback system makes that work.

Now imagine chopping another 10cm away from the width. I wonder what those drivers look like? Loose 10 cm from this structure:
1652304509546.jpeg

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
lots of excursion and lots of power (handling), combined with a thin enclosure and feedback system makes that work.

Now imagine chopping another 10cm away from the width. I wonder what those drivers look like? Loose 10 cm from this structure:
View attachment 206118
It's honestly one of the things that i really want to own a pair off.

but the 300 euro combo of a vintage speaker with a gigantic woofer paired with an Aiyima A07 is very hard to beat.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Techie question from a guy who has next to no technical knowledge: the blades and Ls60´s have a position for the woofers that remind me a lot from a dipole. How comes they (the blades at least, because I have listened to them) do not sound even remotely like a dipole? Does it have to do with the frequencies played by the woofers being low enough to not be positional?

However, what they did archive that did remind me of dipoles is that sense of "sound thickness". The blades felt like sound was coming from something far wider that the tower, as if the sound were played by the wall behind them.

Top Bottom