• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

CaptObvious

I'm interested in how the D1 will compare to the topping D70. Looks like we are hitting an new level of audiophile dacs from China.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, the new board arrived today and spent some time replacing the old one with it. The work was fairly involved with some 30+ screws and desoldering/soldering the power supply wires. But it is done.

If you all recall, the problem was with unbalanced output using 192 kHz where we had a set of distortion components that were there with or without signal:

index.php

That caused the SINAD to drop by some 20 dB.

The new board nicely remedies that:

SMSL VMV D1 Unbalanced 192 kHz Dashboard Measurement.png

Note that the above is with 90 kHz of bandwidth (to go with 192 kHz sampling). At 44.1 kHz, SIAND climbs to 114.5 average as reported in the original review.

I also ran the jitter test since unbalanced performance was not as good as balanced:

SMSL VMV D1 Unbalanced  jitter and noise Dashboard Measurement.png

We see a nice improvement here with the spikes at 8 and 16 kHz gone as are the other smaller peaks. We also have a slight reduction in high frequency noise.

I ran some of the other tests but there is nothing material to report there.

So assuming this is typical of production boards, we have state-of-the-art performance here.

It took a while but I appreciate SMSL following through and providing the updated board. I know the owner of the VNV D1 will be happy to see this problem resolved.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Nice pairing with the THX AAA then!
Or even the JDS Atom xD
$100 amp with $1300 DAC?!

But basically some stuff that need not be replaced for a very long time ( as long as they don't spoil of course.) and yet remain completely relevant to whatever else that might come next !

Well worth it in audiophile terms for under US$1500/- for this and the THX AAA789 ! ( the V-1 can be had for under US$1.2 K with some discount.)

bennetng

Major Contributor
OK, the new board arrived today and spent some time replacing the old one with it. The work was fairly involved with some 30+ screws and desoldering/soldering the power supply wires. But it is done.

If you all recall, the problem was with unbalanced output using 192 kHz where we had a set of distortion components that were there with or without signal:

index.php

That caused the SINAD to drop by some 20 dB.

The new board nicely remedies that:
View attachment 17825

Note that the above is with 90 kHz of bandwidth (to go with 192 kHz sampling). At 44.1 kHz, SIAND climbs to 114.5 average as reported in the original review.

I also ran the jitter test since unbalanced performance was not as good as balanced:
View attachment 17826

We see a nice improvement here with the spikes at 8 and 16 kHz gone as are the other smaller peaks. We also have a slight reduction in high frequency noise.

I ran some of the other tests but there is nothing material to report there.

So assuming this is typical of production boards, we have state-of-the-art performance here.

It took a while but I appreciate SMSL following through and providing the updated board. I know the owner of the VNV D1 will be happy to see this problem resolved.
Does it change the ESS hump as well?
PS: It is VMV, not VNV

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does it change the ESS hump as well?
PS: It is VMV, not VNV
No it doesn't unfortunately. And thanks for catching that. I got that wrong in the original review and keep doing it. Fixed.

helloworld

Yes, it is essentially in tie with Opp UDP-205 as the best I have ever tested.
Thank you @amirm, could you please run a quick test of THD+N vs frequency and compares it with Benchmark DAC3 HGC? I am curious to see which one is better.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
But basically some stuff that need not be replaced for a very long time ( as long as they don't spoil of course.) and yet remain completely relevant to whatever else that might come next !

Well worth it in audiophile terms for under US$1500/- for this and the THX AAA789 ! ( the V-1 can be had for under US$1.2 K with some discount.)
Yes I think that the performance is great.
But I think my DX7 would probably end up with a SINAD close to 110 without the ESS Hump of the DX7S and even if it scored like 106.... its hard for me to justify $1300 for 6 SINAD increase.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you @amirm, could you please run a quick test of THD+N vs frequency and compares it with Benchmark DAC3 HGC? I am curious to see which one is better.
Unfortunately the only saved results I have on that test for Benchmark is at 24 dbu, not 16 dbu that SMSL VMV D-1 outputs. Here is the comparison anyway:

SMSL VMV D1 Unbalanced THD versus frequency Measurement.png

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Amirm will send the old D1 board to us, and we will find out the cause of the failure.

We have checked all the machines in the warehouse and didn't have the problems.

The owner of this broken D1 bought it from ebay at around $1000 which is significantly below our suggested retail price. Hopefully the seller is our official distributor so that we can check all of his products, we will find out.

Last edited:

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Is this a new board revision?
How can one be sure he is getting the new version when ordering now?

And... what about the SU8? :D

No it's not a revision.
There's no difference between this board and those we are currently selling.

The new su8 has been sent to amirm.The test will be published soon.

Last edited:

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, it is essentially in tie with Opp UDP-205 as the best I have ever tested.

Will you update the SINAD bar graph showing the new positions of SMSL D1 Balanced and SMSL D1 Unbalanced?

Top Bottom