• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What amp/DAC do you recommend for my Audio-Technica ATH-R70x headphones?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better you try first. There is a presentation of rob watts about this EQ feature. It really works. There is no degradation at all even at full +9db to -9db range. It's worth trying.
Neither is there any degradation with any other 24 or 32bit based EQ. Or do you have facts to the contrary other than your personal opinion?

rkt31

Neither is there any degradation with any other 24 or 32bit based EQ. Or do you have facts to the contrary other than your personal opinion?
There is presentation by designer rob watts about this EQ. If 24bit was sufficient then there was no need of 104bit. You first go through that presentation. And then listen to mojo 2. And btw many dsps like in j river are already using 64bit processing.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is presentation by designer rob watts about this EQ. If 24bit was sufficient then there was no need of 104bit. You first go through that presentation. And then listen to mojo 2. And btw many dsps like in j river are already using 64bit processing.
Apparently no evidence but your opinion and the marketing statement of the designer / company who wants to sell you beliefs so customers pay extra. Happy you are happy with it. I am out.

There is a blind test somewhere in this forum. People can’t even tell the difference between 16 and 24bit. Take it and post your score, if you want to convince

Last edited:

rkt31

Did you know that that 16bit or 24 bit file went through 64bit processing in daw for equing or compression etc ? Why at all good dsp have 64bit processing ? If you don't want to listen mojo 2 or don't want to go through rob watts presentation then wait for asr to test mojo 2.

RHO

Major Contributor
Better you try first. There is a presentation of rob watts about this EQ feature. It really works. There is no degradation at all even at full +9db to -9db range. It's worth trying.
And there is with other EQ software?
104bit EQ....

rkt31

And there is with other EQ software?
104bit EQ....
I have tried other EQ and mojo 2 EQ. In mojo 2 it seems the EQ was part of original music it is so transparent. Total 18db range available which may not be needed actually in most cases. As I said I used only single clicks of +20hz, +treble shelf and -20khz with R70X and it became the end game.

RHO

Major Contributor
I have tried other EQ and mojo 2 EQ. In mojo 2 it seems the EQ was part of original music it is so transparent. Total 18db range available which may not be needed actually in most cases. As I said I used only single clicks of +20hz, +treble shelf and -20khz with R70X and it became the end game.
I have tried many things and heard many differences... That I wouldn't be able to differentiate in a blind test.
So show us the results of the blind comparisons you did and we can talk about your experiences.

rkt31

I have tried many things and heard many differences... That I wouldn't be able to differentiate in a blind test.
So show us the results of the blind comparisons you did and we can talk about your experiences.
Rob watts is not just any person. If he used 104bit processing instead of 24,32 or 64bit, there has to be some reason. Reason he discussed in his presentation. If 32bit was ok, he could have saved space on FPGA and utilised it elsewhere. It's not just marketing gimmick. If you don't want to try it's your choice. Till then wait for asr review.

RHO

Major Contributor
Rob watts is not just any person.
Yes, he is. He's not some sort of magician or super human that lives outside of our laws of physics.
If he used 104bit processing instead of 24,32 or 64bit, there has to be some reason.
Marketing.
Reason he discussed in his presentation.
Marketing.
If 32bit was ok, he could have saved space on FPGA and utilised it elsewhere.
Marketing.
It's not just marketing gimmick.
Yes, it is.
If you don't want to try it's your choice. Till then wait for asr review.
Test it blind and come back to us.

rkt31

Yes, he is. He's not some sort of magician or super human that lives outside of our laws of physics.Marketing.Marketing.Marketing.Yes, it is. Test it blind and come back to us.
So he is not super human then who are you ? What laws of physics he is not following ? It is well known fact that you need much higher accuracy in processing for better results even for final 16bit output. Didn't you know many daws and playback softwares are already using 64bit processing like j river and izotope. Now please don't say that they are also having a designer who is super human. :p I have already listened mojo 2 so don't need the test. It is for you who is refuting it even before listening. So go get and do blind test and come back or else wait for review and measurements . Btw are you some designer of dac or experts in electronics or what ? :p

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have already listened mojo 2 so don't need the test

Consider a lot of ASR members conclude you drank too much 'Chord kool-aid' and verified by, not so objective, sighted listening test is why you have been getting some flak.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the indicators that an eq isnt transparent? How would you know if you applied the same eq on the mojo 2 vs a different DSP solution in the same chain? What are the audible tells?

Reactions: RHO

rkt31

Consider a lot of ASR members conclude you drank too much 'Chord kool-aid' and verified by, not so objective, sighted listening test is why you have been getting some flak.
I thought none of them seen rob watts presentation. He is one of few designers who have very clear vision and understanding of digital processing and he knows very well what he is doing, unlike many other boutique dac brands which rely on all things other then pure tech to push their products. no wonder chord dacs measure well too. So imo all those experts here may very well wait for the asr review instead of discounting it straightaway.

rkt31

What are the indicators that an eq isnt transparent? How would you know if you applied the same eq on the mojo 2 vs a different DSP solution in the same chain? What are the audible tells?
Distortion and phase issues. Unlike simple volume control and normalisation EQ works differently. I would suggest you to go through rob watts presentation.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Distortion and phase issues. Unlike simple volume control and normalisation EQ works differently. I would suggest you to go through rob watts presentation.
I don't want to go through his presentation. I'm asking you how you discern the same eq profile applied to the chord vs somewhere further up the chain.

You are claiming you can tell the chord is superior. I want to know how the phase and distortion effects manifest in your listening to other eq solutions. Mr Watts is doing his job.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I thought none of them seen rob watts presentation. He is one of few designers who have very clear vision and understanding of digital processing and he knows very well what he is doing, unlike many other boutique dac brands which rely on all things other then pure tech to push their products. no wonder chord dacs measure well too. So imo all those experts here may very well wait for the asr review instead of discounting it straightaway.

Most ASR members know about Rob Watts's presentations. ;)
This has been discussed to death here.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So who is your favourite dac designer and why or you are also nos believer ? :)
Why do we need to know the names of any dac designer, much less have a favourite? Isn't D to A conversion a solved problem? £20 gets you competent, £150 gets you very good indeed with features.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So who is your favourite dac designer and why or you are also nos believer ? :)

Don't have a favorite DAC designer and I 'believe' in proper engineering.
Topology is just a different method of achieving the same goal with their specific properties.
Price and quality do not seem to have a clear relation either.

Last edited:

rkt31

Don't have a favorite DAC designer and I 'believe' in proper engineering.
Topology is just a different method of achieving the same goal with their specific properties.
Price and quality do not seem to have a clear relation either.
Ok then who are those engineers you like most and why ?

Top Bottom