• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ for very low impedance headphones? (Hifiman Edition XS)

propaganda1

Hi guys,

I need some help picking out an amp+dac stack/combo for my Hifiman Edition XS's. According to Hifiman, the Edition XS has an impedance of 18ohms (which is very low from what I have seen, I am a noob so bear with me) and a sensitivity of 92dB. When I was reading the review of the Topping DX3 Pro+, Amir mentioned that the amp doesn't like very low impedance headphones. Would you be able to recommend me an amp/DAC around the same price that would be suitable for my headphones?

Thanks,

staticV3

Master Contributor
Amir mentioned that the amp doesn't like very low impedance headphones.
I suspect that was a measurement error. When WolfX-700 measured the DX3Pro+ on his APx555, it didn't mind a 16Ω load at all:
THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level (2).jpg

When you compile the data into max Vrms vs load graphs, it looks like this:
Adobe_20220427_111802.jpg

Needless to say, something went wrong during one of those measurements.

OP
P

propaganda1

I suspect that was a measurement error. When WolfX-700 measured the DX3Pro+ on his APx555, it didn't mind a 16Ω load at all:
View attachment 202735

View attachment 202737

I see, thank you very much for the response. Would you say the DX3 Pro+ would be the most suitable for my headphones? It is very feature-rich but a lot of the things I am not really going to use, so I'm just looking for a bunch of recommendations from people that know much more than me. I'd be happy to spend up to £200.

Thank you!

Hamster

You did not state your player source so I assume you are using USB from a PC desktop/laptop and currently you don't care about balanced. I would advice you to go for a stack instead of all-in-one because it is easier to upgrade one part at a time (which you will, if your interest in audio grows).

Bare minimum DAC: Topping D10s ($99)
I recommend Topping E30 ($150) for AKM DAC chip. I prefer AKM sound (more musical & natural) than Sabre sound (more digital, artificial reproduction).
King of budget amp will be Topping L30 ($150)

I limit my suggestions to one brand for simplicity and for their performance-to-price ratio. Of course you can look at other brands like SMSL, Schiit etc for their similar offering.

Edition XS is getting all the rave reviews in 2022 and I hope to own one some day too. Happy listening!

-Hamster

Zoide

There is no such thing as a musical or "digital" sounding chip if your DAC circuit is properly designed.

jasonhanjk

For IEM I don't recommend DX3 Pro but with your HP I think it's fine. :p

Hamster

Reading this kind of stuff always makes me smile, and let's not say if it's posted in an audio science oriented forum. :D
It has been my consistent (anecdotal) experience with ESS 9018 9028 9038 & AKM 4490 4493 4497. If you want to show me a graph and laugh at me, fine, it is your opinion. I listen with my ears, not my eyes.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It has been my consistent (anecdotal) experience with ESS 9018 9028 9038 & AKM 4490 4493 4497. If you want to show me a graph and laugh at me, fine, it is your opinion. I listen with my ears, not my eyes.
Do you listen and compare using blind testing methodology or do you use it sighted for a week and then try another one?

Merkurio

And that's the main flaw of your "consistent experience", naively ignore that your ears are not immune of being biased by your brain. :)

That's what controlled blind tests are for, to actually listen with your ears and not skew the results with your eyes and brain knowing which is which.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
According to Hifiman, the Edition XS has an impedance of 18ohms (which is very low from what I have seen, I am a noob so bear with me) and a sensitivity of 92dB. When I was reading the review of the Topping DX3 Pro+, Amir mentioned that the amp doesn't like very low impedance headphones.
Topping DX3 Pro+ has 0.1 ohms output impedance for headphones, that fits really well with Hifiman Edition XS.

View attachment 202735

View attachment 202737

I just ordered this unit because of your clarification. Thank you! I will try it with the Sennheiser 18ohm IE600 and the latest firmware upgrade. I think this DAC/AMP is the perfect match for my setup. Constantly having to turn off and on a dedicated Amp and DAC is so tedious, and this unit measures so well that I doubt I will hear a difference. I noticed that the multitone test seems slightly better than on my L30 II. I just use the Oppo PM-3 + IE600, both of which have SE 3.5mm cables. The exact level readout is great, and having the exact output jack with no need for an adapter is a minimalist's dream. I love the interface and the design, especially in black. I wonder what the channel match is, though. I am guessing the attenuation is done digitally with a chip, which means there is no risk of this unit ever "crackling," I suppose?

My Sennheiser IE 600 work fine. I run sine wave sweeps and they are clean. Music sounds nominal. No distortion/clipping at all. Even at super loud volumes.

Only problem is a ground loop when I use it with the IE 600. Not with the Oppo PM3 ???

I had to ground the unit to the ground pin of the electrical socket. Ground noise gone.

Anyways this thing is the best sounding DAC / Amp. If anyone spends a dime on anything more than this they are just religious fanatics. There is no difference between this and a D30Pro + L30 II "with better specs". At least if you don't need to run these inefficient headphones this just killed any other amp on the market.

Love the exact level readout and the time out. Be nice if the input indicator would turn off as well. Hard to mod this as the front panel connector is pretty tricky to reinstall do to the way the chassis is designed.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Only problem is a ground loop when I use it with the IE 600. Not with the Oppo PM3 ???

I had to ground the unit to the ground pin of the electrical socket. Ground noise gone.
That's because the IE600 housing is metal and is touching your skin. With a plastic or resin housing, the hum would be gone.

ASR member MC_RME described this phenomenon in more detail here.
He was referring to the ADI-2, but the concept is the same for the DX3Pro+.

Last edited:
That's because the IE600 housing is metal and is touching your skin. With a plastic or resin housing, the him would be gone.

ASR member MC_RME described this phenomenon in more detail here.
He was referring to the ADI-2, but the concept is the same for the DX3Pro+.
That is very weird. Thank you.
I wonder why they wouldn't use the ground pin on the electrical socket for such "audiophile" products. Anyways best dac and best amp ever. Love it. Hope it lasts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom