• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since then, I bought my first proper speakers, the Elac DBR62, as a lot of people did it seems. With a step back, I would probably have buy something else, made in France or in Europe at least, but whatever.
I think you have to dig a lot deeper in terms of money if you want made in €urope. Don't think for a minute that for example Focal doesn't get their stuff from China as well, like everyone else in that price bracket. They buy our Peugeots and VWs, we buy their speakers. Fine with me :cool:

As for music, because that's what we're here for, I am a CD person, and local stream for music bought on Bandcamp. I rarely stream anything except from Youtube when discovering new music. I have an old Technics SL-220 turntable in box somewhere, not my cup of tea.
Sell it, make someone else happy. Bonus: you got more money for your next amp.

Welcome to ASR :cool:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought them used, in immaculate condition, I paid approximately 8 thousand dollars. In Chile, the audiophile market is small, and things like speakers that are very heavy are not convenient to import.
I drove almost 1000km to get my current ATC SCM19v2, however, the price for them was really good and the seller didn't want to ship at all.
This hobby of ours is a blessing and a burden at the same time. :cool:

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello everyone. I'm Adrian. I'm polish, who living and work in Netherlands. I read ASR two, three weeks, so I decided to create an account here.
I think it is very friendly here, so I hope to meet a lot of friendly people.
Greetings :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone. I'm Adrian. I'm polish, who living and work in Netherlands. I read ASR two, three weeks, so I decided to create an account here.
Welcome to ASR, my dude :cool:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Welcome aboard Adrian. Lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks here, so expect to learn a lot.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
..and now you'll have to explain us what "my dude" is... vs "someone else's dude", I recon. :)
I don't have to explain anything to any dude, my man.:p

D

Deleted member 47224

I think you have to dig a lot deeper in terms of money if you want made in €urope. Don't think for a minute that for example Focal doesn't get their stuff from China as well, like everyone else in that price bracket. They buy our Peugeots and VWs, we buy their speakers. Fine with me :cool:

Sell it, make someone else happy. Bonus: you got more money for your next amp.

Welcome to ASR :cool:
Thank you !

There is a lot of unknown manufacturers in France, and I guess as much in other countries, who make somewhat affordable speakers. The problem for me was, and still is, I have no way to know how they measure. For some of them, there isn't even a subjective review to read. A few offer to try at home.

Gdub

Hello all: Gary here

Been lurking on ASR for a while - thought this a good time for first post. First off, I'm humbled by the experience and knowledge of the contributors of this forum - can't believe what I've only scratched the surface in learning. I stared setting up my 2.1 system before I found ASR. I'm 61 - grew up playing guitar and still do; always interested in building up a good audio system but have up till recently only dabbled. Here's what I got:

ROOM system:
12X12 room with moderate amount floor/wall furnishings. No sound modifications.
Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra (glorified Raspberry pi)
Topping D90 SE dac
Topping Pre90 preamp
Topping A90 HP amp
Senn HD 800S and HD 650 HP's
Schitt Lokius (used as my 'loudness' compensator for late night low level listening)
Arcam PA240 amp
Roon Nucleus +
Roon lifetime subscrip
Kef R11 towers
Rel S/510 sub hooked up to amp hi level speaker outs (yes, I am doing that)
Harmony companion remote (so I don't have to ultra accurately point the Topping remote across the room)

DESKTOP system:
Imac
Topping E50 dac
Topping L50 HP amp
Adam A7X monitors
Adam Sub10 Mk2

Stream 99% of music: Tidal, Apple Music +, internet radio on Pro-ject Volumio interface.
Not a whisper of background noise/hiss in Room system with ear right up to speaker

Next purchase: minidsp SHD to have parallel pathway in Room system to integrate DSP.

Am happy with where it all is, but welcome any advice/comments from those much smarter than me -
I know there are several 'ASR non-preferred' components I have. wonder if I'm overlooking any obvious flaws to correct in the search for better SQ and if making a good choice for planned DSP.

Grateful for this forum.

IMG_0350.jpeg

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Welcome Gary @Gdub!

What a very nice set you have. Looking forward to reading about your SHD adventures!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sweet. Consider this to get the cables nice:
I bought the 19mm, should have bought the 13mm.

And maybe add a plant :)

It's all nice stuff you have there, little to complain.

Welcome to ASR. :cool:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I know there are several 'ASR non-preferred' components I have. wonder if I'm overlooking any obvious flaws to correct in the search for better SQ and if making a good choice for planned DSP.

Welcome!

You've made some great choices there, and I'll bet it sounds awesome. Playing around with the DSP will be a fun next step for you.

Edit: Is there no way to center all of that under the picture on your wall? I'm sure that would make it sound MUCH better... ;)

Gdub

Knew I’d be opening up to all fathoms of responses! Appreciate any and all input. I now see my purpose here will be to share, learn . . . and entertain.

Madraf

Hello,

I'm from France, but I live in Taiwan. I don't think I will post a lot of messages here: I'm an ignorant amateur and my english is not good enough to have interesting dialogues.

I bought recently a basic setup, not too expensive for me :
- Focal Aria 906
- Topping PA5
- Topping E50

My sources are a TV and a Raspberry Pi 3+, and I love the perfect neutral consistent sound I obtained.

I registered just to report that these two Topping electronics are not listed in the page of reviews, here. It could be useful to add them.

And thank you to Amir, his forum and its members for permit me to find the best setup I could afford.

Top Bottom