• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ringing in ears, how to EQ it out.

Darkscience

When I am running room measurements, I use ear plugs. I notice a constant buzz, something I do not usually pay much attention too, it is faint and I am sure a lot of us have it. When I put ear plugs on, I do not go to a black background. Do you also have to take this into account for EQ? Should I EQ it out? Does it add to what I listen to, even though I do not notice it? This might be a dumb question but whatever never hurts to ask.

OP
Darkscience

Darkscience

I think it might be called tinnitus, do we need to EQ it.

DeepFried

I'm not going to give you any authoritative answer, but I think its true that certain frequencies can be tinnitus triggers, varying from person to person. So I suppose in theory you could EQ down those frequencies to avoid the trigger?

I do have to mild tinnitus myself that comes and goes, but for some reason violins can trigger it pretty reliably, probably frequency related.

D

Deleted member 46664

When I am running room measurements, I use ear plugs. I notice a constant buzz, something I do not usually pay much attention too, it is faint and I am sure a lot of us have it. When I put ear plugs on, I do not go to a black background. Do you also have to take this into account for EQ? Should I EQ it out? Does it add to what I listen to, even though I do not notice it? This might be a dumb question but whatever never hurts to ask.

How loud are those sweeps?
How loud do you listen to your music and movies?

What you are describing is most likely Tinnitis (as @Darkscience suggested). It is literally your inner ear screaming in pain ... and if it gets bad enough it's never going away.

I had a couple of bouts with it back when I was mixing for live bands ... 40 years later, I still get it once in a while.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How loud are those sweeps?
How loud do you listen to your music and movies?

What you are describing is most likely Tinnitis (as @Darkscience suggested). It is literally your inner ear screaming in pain ... and if it gets bad enough it's never going away.

I had a couple of bouts with it back when I was mixing for live bands ... 40 years later, I still get it once in a while.

I get it too and have no idea why. No history of extremely loud music. It sounds like maybe 8KHz to 9Khz and sounds very steady and does not change pitch or frequency.

D

Deleted member 46664

I get it too and have no idea why. No history of extremely loud music. It sounds like maybe 8KHz to 9Khz and sounds very steady and does not change pitch or frequency.

Mine is up somewhere near 10khz ... and man oh man is that massively annoying.
I've found that if I put my fingers in my ears and gently press-release in a cycle it will stop... but it always comes back.

Fortunately it's at a low enough level that almost any in-room sound will drown it out.

D

Deleted member 46664

Actually that would make a really interesting poll ... How many ASR users have tinitis?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is up somewhere near 10khz ... and man oh man is that massively annoying.
Interesting we are both in a similar zone of frequency.

I've found that if I put my fingers in my ears and gently press-release in a cycle it will stop... but it always comes back.
I've attempted massaging my ear and surrounding stuff and that makes no difference.

Fortunately it's at a low enough level that almost any in-room sound will drown it out.
Mine comes and goes, rarely gets loud and is something I can ignore if I am preoccupied with something that takes my attention away from the ringing.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this is the several years of using a chainsaw bucking up firewood and trimming trees.

D

Deleted member 46664

The only thing I can think of that would cause this is the several years of using a chainsaw bucking up firewood and trimming trees.

Yep ... that'll do alright. Not all ear damage is immediate, some can accumulate over time. I have a cousin who also has tinnitis and she swears it came from years of using manual typewriters.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If you mean you ear is oversensitive to a frequence, best is to lokate this fr with a tonegenerator.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you mean you ear is oversensitive to a frequence, best is to lokate this fr with a tonegenerator.
I located my ringing via a tone generator. It's not a sensitivity to a frequency. It's a actual ringing frequency that maintains a steady level just like if a tone generator was set at 8KHz to 10KHz and set at a very low level that is barely audible and then let it run for minutes or hours.

D

Deleted member 46664

If it's tinnitus you're going to hear it constantly, even in a silent room.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If it's tinnitus you're going to hear it constantly, even in a silent room.

Sure but if it is tinitus a eq wont help, if your ear is just oversensitive at some fr or fr band, a eq could help. I dont know what it is. My left ear is oversensitive in the 4k region, so eq helps.

egellings

Major Contributor
I do not see how you can "EQ out" tinnitus. It's generated in the brain, and I don't know how you'd adjust that. Playing music louder at the tinnitus ring frequencies could just worsen the problem.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not see how you can "EQ out" tinnitus. It's generated in the brain, and I don't know how you'd adjust that. Playing music louder at the tinnitus ring frequencies could just worsen the problem.
Yeah. I have tinnitus sometimes. My experience is listening to the "ring" frequency, especially loud, just makes it worse.

Top Bottom