• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFi or not HiFi? That is the question!

D

Deleted member 46664

Edit: I just went to your blog, really interesting. Good job!

:cool: Glad you liked it. There's more to come.

So, can we subjectively compare with TPA3255? (Amir shown it was technically awesome)

I might be able to help with that one a bit ... I've been playing with these mini-amps for quite some time now. One of the things I do for friends and their friends is build "soundbar killers"... basically a mini-amp and a decent pair of speakers that you can hook up to your TV set for better sound. In the process I've used TPA3116, TDA7492, TDA7498, TPA3221 and, most recently, TPA3255 based amplifiers.

The TDA series chips provide excellent sound quality and run cooler than the TPA chips ... but they also hiss when quiescent. It's not loud, but once you hear it... you can't un-hear it, if you know what I mean.

The TPA series chips are quieter but run hotter. The 3116 is not very happy on 4 ohms. The 3221 and 3255 are more able to handle the lower speaker impedances. The 3255 is obviously the most powerful.

A secondary concern is the output filtering networks on these amplifiers. The make or break for a Class-D amplifier is the output filter. Some of the really cheap ones use little bobbin style inductors that have rather high series resistance and do not carry output currents well at high volumes. Others use dirt cheap capacitors that really don't do the job of taking down the high frequency pulse chain, allowing it to leak into the speakers. So be sure you're looking at quality parts in the output filters... or buy something else.

Listening impressions seem to bear out the practical observations... The 3116s are very impressive on 8 ohm loads but sound a bit weak on the 4 ohm speakers. The same is true of the 7492 chip ... great on 8 ohms but a bit weak on 4. The 7498 is a powerhouse chip, sounds clean and powerful no matter what you hook up to it... but then there's the hiss...

The 3255, with a proper output filter, suffers none of these limitations, It just produces really great sound.

That said... there's my notice above about the fake 5532 chips ... For best results, given the less than $1.00 cost, I would suggest swapping out the 5532s and putting in RC4558s in their place. (on any of these boards, actually)

Last edited by a moderator:

DanielT

Major Contributor
It seems this is the holy grail!... for some bucks ;) But I rode nothing about the chip?
I do not really remember what chip it is based on. Mr. designer JohnYang1997 himself from Topping writes in that thread. But where in that thread, hm ..somewhere it is mentioned which chip it is. I think.:)

You have fun 220 pages to read.:)

Edit:
PA5. It undeniably seems really good.:D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-06_155943.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-06_155943.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
The ones you mention, TLHP, I have made some orders from them. Superb service, also personal service, fast delivery and well packed. I can really recommend them. They also have really good prices. That makes it even better.:)
I've seen it recommended at avforums.co.za for speaker components.

wow - excellent!
Noted the handles.
And the nice work with the alloy plates + connectors+controls.

D

Deleted member 46664

Did you tried Wondom/Sure Electronics TPA modules? I have built some 2.1 mini setup for friends: I think they sound good with 8R speakers (I never compared with 4R because I don't own it).

No I haven't. For what I do with them, the little ready to go mini-amps are best.
I would imagine your discoveries would be the same as mine, since it really is all about the chip and filters.

OP
Larudakote

Larudakote

I found this TPA3255 2.1 amplifier very interesting but:
  1. I can't get any precise information from the seller about crossover frequency and slope
  2. if it is a LFE & HFE crossover or - more often - only filtered sub output (all pass satellites)
Note the 6 dual OPA could tell us all channels are LR4 filtered (LR4 2.1 needs 3 or 4 dual OPA, except buffer and LF mixer)

H2b752b8140b44dd0b87d630a9d29e83e8.jpg

However, I found another seller which purpose this amp; when you focus on photos... it's worrying!

Hfcdb398a1a5747198829c34ee90d3b2fu.jpg

D

Deleted member 46664

I found this TPA3255 2.1 amplifier very interesting but:
  1. I can't get any precise information from the seller about crossover frequency and slope
  2. if it is a LFE & HFE crossover or - more often - only filtered sub output (all pass satellites)
Note the 6 dual OPA could tell us all channels are LR4 filtered (LR4 2.1 needs 3 or 4 dual OPA, except buffer and LF mixer)

Looking at your link ...
Right off the top ... those wattage claims are plainly ludicrous.

The 3255 will be configured as 1 btl and 2 se power amps.
Per the data sheet that only gives you 60 + 60 +110 watts with a 50 volt supply.

Attachments

• tpa3255.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
D

Deleted member 46664

OK. First of all, I didn't know the 3255 could run in "Stereo, Mono, 2.1 and 4xSE" (datasheet inline)

But see my link again: if you scroll a lot you'll see 2 TPA3255:

Yep... I see that... okay so one chip is in PBTL mode ... this does not provide any higher speaker voltage than BTL ... but it does allow the chip to load into lower impedances. So BTL on 4 ohms and PBTL on 4 ohms will give you the same power.

In BTL Mode you get this...
a.PNG

Notice the clipping point where distortion takes off nearly vertically ... that's 200w on 4ohms.

Same with PBTL mode ...
b.PNG

Still 200 watts on 4 ohms.

So if you build the pretty typical 2.1 system with 8 ohm satellites and a 4 ohm sub you end up with 100 + 100 + 200 ... not to be sniffed at, but certainly not what they claimed. (FWIW ... the Aiyima A07, with it's 32 volt supply gives you 60 clean watts per channel)

The numbers quoted in the link you provided are for 10% distortion ... which is a "survival" rating not a "daily use" rating. It's pretty common for Chinese companies to misrepresent their products that way.

OP
Larudakote

Larudakote

not to be sniffed at, but certainly not what they claimed.
You are certainly right. Is it surprising chinese Ali shop to do so?
The point is: the claimed 1200W PSU is clear enough for HiFi purpose (near field in my case) and a little party in the living room ;)
The question is: what is overall quality of this product? I still waiting answer about crossover.

Edit: I think I found the PSU as a part. It look like exactly the same. It seems not 1200W but 350...
The comments are good from many guys.
H9ab5ba25489b457896b6f209b3be2df1d.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

You are certainly right. Is it surprising chinese Ali shop to do so?

Not surprising in the least. In fact it's expected. That's why you should always consult spec sheets and power supply ratings etc.

The point is: the claimed 1200W PSU is clear enough for HiFi purpose (near field in my case) and a little party in the living room ;)

The TPA3255 chip is a good one, definitely "hifi" and I would suggest "high end" if properly implemented.

I've got the Aiyima A07 and as soon as I straightened out a small problem with it, I've stopped amplifier shopping. It's everything I need.

I still waiting answer about crossover.

I wouldn't know about that.

You might want to swap out the 5532 OpAmps and replace them with RC4558s from a trusted supplier. I've discovered there are a huge number of counterfeit 5532s out there. They will have ground off the old designation and re-labelled them... who knows what they actually are or how old they are??? The 4558s are very cheap (50 cents each in Canada) and won't change the amps behaviour, but at least you know they aren't scavaged from something else and getting ready to die.

Edit: I think I found the PSU as a part. It look like exactly the same. It seems not 1200W but 350...
The comments are good from many guys.

Is that the exact same PSU ... as in same part number and rated for the same voltage and current? Because the one in your picture is only 24 volts.

24 volts will give you at best about 30 + 30 + 60 watts.

From the spec sheet...
c.PNG

You asked my assessment of the quality...
Lets just say that my opinion would not be favourable.

You might like to investigate this one instead ...
Based on the photos it's far better made.

OP
Larudakote

Larudakote

Because the one in your picture is only 24 volts.
Douglas, the picture is a sample! You had to follow my link because many options:

Capture.JPG

Note this is exactly the same PSU you'll find in Aiyima amp (see picture here in example).
No mistake: no brand here but many Chinese sellers for few different factories.

The main issue about Ali is the vendor doesn't know the product he sell: a technical question is often a mystery for him :)

You might like to investigate this one instead ...
I'm not sure about that. You can find the PCB everywhere for few bucks...
For instance on Ali this Aiyima (which is not a brand but a simple seller).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

My experience with AliBabba was anything but good. I refuse to buy from them anymore.

I've been trying to offer some guidance from over 100 purchases of these mini-amps.

Sorry if that's not helpful.

OP
Larudakote

Larudakote

Sorry if that's not helpful.
It is.

But what I mean is 3E Audio, Aiyima or your Amazon link (and so on) are coming from same Chinese factories. These shop are just different distribution channels or methods.
The 3E Audio 3255 I just bought from Audiophonics is coming from China (15 to 25 days to order). It is just a warranty, for me, to got the good product at a fair price (no surprise charges or taxes).

PS: I have a lot of very good experiences from Ali (or Ebay Chinese shop) when you know exactly what your paying for

D

Deleted member 46664

But what I mean is 3E Audio, Aiyima or your Amazon link (and so on) are coming from same Chinese factories. These shop are just different distribution channels or methods.

Of course they are. But look at the differences ... especially the output coils and caps... they are crucial to proper sound.

The 3E Audio 3255 I just bought from Audiophonics is coming from China (15 to 25 days to order). It is just a warranty, for me, to got the good product at a fair price (no surprise charges or taxes).

AND it is honestly specified. The heat sink is about what is needed and the output coils look to be substantial.
None of which you can say about the other one you linked to.

OP
Larudakote

Larudakote

I still browsing!
Audiophonics sells exactly the same 350W PSU as Aliexpress - it's not a surprise - but in a case :
adaptateur-secteur-alimentation-100-240v-ac-vers-48v-7a-dc.jpg

Planing DIY tiny 2.1 system for my son, because I'm not confident about crossover section of "ready to use" 2.1 amplifiers, I'was looking for the 3E Audio TPA3255 mono version (EAUMT-0480-1-A) but sold out!
For now, the only similar product is this one.

Edit: the amp above is not available. Audiophonics offer this one (seen on Ali). Interesting point: option full range or low pass 95Hz (2 summing RCA) by external switch.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Planing DIY tiny 2.1 system for my son, because I'm not confident about crossover section of "ready to use" 2.1 amplifiers, I'was looking for the 3E Audio TPA3255 mono version (EAUMT-0480-1-A) but sold out!
For now, the only similar product is this one.
Can this be a solution? It costs almost nothing so you can test one, if you think it has functionality that fits::)
Those who sell them themselves say that they help so they may have good service if you have any questions?

Solder yourself ::

Assembled:

Edit:
They sell various gadgets, I now see:
If it's good stuff, do not know. But there was a lot of stuff anyway.:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-11_154151.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-11_154151.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_2022-05-11_154200.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-11_154200.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Top Bottom