• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compact Class D Amp Recommendations For Elac DBR-62

dfgoiuj

I've just ordered a pair of ELAC DBR-62 and I'm super excited! I had planned on going for active speakers for the living room to replace my pair of Beoplay S3, but I couldn't find anything I truly wanted. The problem is that I've not got a lot of space for a typically sized hifi amp. I know these speakers work best with beefy amps, but if it helps, my sub will be doing most of the work at the lower end (suggestions on crossover frequency would be good - 80Hz?). I've got a Topping E30 DAC that doubles as my volume control, so I don't need an integrated amp.

Budget wise, I'd rather keep costs as low as possible; maybe £200, but wouldn't mind upping it a bit for the right gear.

For what it's worth, I'll be making use of DRC-FIR to get the sound I want.

qec

I'm running my DBR-62's with a Topping PA5. I too also have a powered subwoofer. Three months so far and very happy with it. My only complaint is the form factor. I wish it was rack with like the rest of my components.

Smitty2k1

Topping PA3s would be my vote. The PA5 seems overkill and also appears to have QC issues.

PS: enjoy the Elac. I just finished demoing a pair and shipped them back out yesterday. They sounded great and were BEAUTIFUL. Something I think needs more attention.

OP
D

dfgoiuj

I'm running my DBR-62's with a Topping PA5. I too also have a powered subwoofer. Three months so far and very happy with it. My only complaint is the form factor. I wish it was rack with like the rest of my components.
A Topping would be ideal aesthetically to match the E30 DAC. The PA5 seems a little pricey though!

OP
D

dfgoiuj

Topping PA3s would be my vote. The PA5 seems overkill and also appears to have QC issues.

PS: enjoy the Elac. I just finished demoing a pair and shipped them back out yesterday. They sounded great and were BEAUTIFUL. Something I think needs more attention.
Hmm, I could have the PA3s delivered tomorrow for £150, hopefully in time for my speakers arriving. This could be the quickest decision I've made on an electronics purchase :D

Yes, I'm really looking forward to getting them hooked up. I've still got my Denon AVR-1803 I can use to test them out with if I don't get a new amp delivered before, plus it will be interesting to compare. The wife will kill me when she sees it in the living room though - it's comically big and we just don't really have anywhere to put it these days.

OP
D

dfgoiuj

I got my ELACs and PA3s today! The speakers are great, of course. I didn't get much of a feel for their bass output as I hooked them straight into the sub and corrected with DRC, but I've loved everything I've thrown at them so far. Particularly vocals.

The amp is also impressive. They get the speakers plenty loud enough for my listening position 3 meters away, and all while staying cool and being so tiny that I've just tucked it away in the TV cabinet, with the DAC on view so I can control the volume. I've set it up so that maximum volume on the DAC takes the speakers to louder than I'd normally want to listen, but hopefully without pushing the amp too much; I'm concerned about clipping.

I did discover some undesirable behaviour with this combo though - initially, with the DAC at max volume, I was getting a nasty sound from the tweeters in louder sections of music. And this happened no matter how low I set the amp's volume. It seemed as though the DAC's output was overloading the amp's input. In the end, I had to use a preamp filter on Equalizer APO to ensure this didn't happen - I had to lower it by 6dB! Has anyone else experienced this?

Top Bottom