• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 DAC & HO100 Headphone amp

OP
S

Steamrolly

I have also attached a PDF of a the user manual.
Funny story, after I bought my AO200, January 2022, I sent a message to Aoshida Audio, joking that they should bring out a DO100 since the DO200 was more than I wanted to spend. I also joked that it should have balanced output, internal power and no MQA. To my surprise the response was that it would be available in March or April...

Attachments

• DO100 User Manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 321
Last edited:

flz

The funny story is after I bought my AO200< January 2022, I sent a message to Aoshida Audio, joking that they should bring out a DO100 since the DO200 was more than I wanted to spend. I also joked that it should have balanced output, internal power and no MQA. To my surprise the response was that it would be available in March or April...
Don't mean to go off topic but are you happy with the AO200? Did you also consider SMSL DA-9 and if so, just wondering why you picked the AO200? FYI, I'm considering one of those two models for my next purchase. Already have the SMSL SU-9n which I'm very happy with.

OP
S

Steamrolly

Don't mean to go off topic but are you happy with the AO200? Did you also consider SMSL DA-9 and if so, just wondering why you picked the AO200? FYI, I'm considering one of those two models for my next purchase. Already have the SMSL SU-9n which I'm very happy with.
Yes, I am happy with the AO200. The primary reason I chose the AO200 over the DA-9 was availability in Canada. I could buy the AO200 directly through Amazon.ca and for the DA-9 I would have had to order from the US or Ali Express and I was more confident in not having any delivery unknowns with Amazon.ca. Sorry, probably not all that helpful in making your decision. I did also watch a few YouTube reviews and their comments, while subjective, also helped in my decision. That said if I already had the SU-9n I would probably be inclined to go the route of the DA-9 since they match, unless for some reason you need two sub-out connections.

As far as the DAC I will most likely buy the DO100 when available on Amazon.ca. It gives me the balanced output to go with the AO200 and it should be an (small) upgrade from by SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII.

MalinYamato

Funny story, after I bought my AO200, January 2022, I sent a message to Aoshida Audio, joking that they should bring out a DO100 since the DO200 was more than I wanted to spend. I also joked that it should have balanced output, internal power and no MQA. To my surprise the response was that it would be available in March or April...
they took your joke seriously and responded by making this one.....if you say that DO100 is still too much, SMSL will gladly respond and release a DO50 the next month and ure in the loop..... this release of new DAC craze must end and instead of asking for more we must say we had enough -- enuf is enuf. Every member on ASR has at least three SMSL DACs and we have to ask ourselves, do we need a new DAC?

Last edited:
OP
S

Steamrolly

they took your joke seriously and responded by making this one.....if you say that DO100 is still too much, SMSL will gladly respond and release a DO50 the next month and ure in the loop..... this release of new DAC craze must end and instead of asking for more we must say we had enough -- enuf is enuf. Every member on ASR has at least three SMSL DACs and we have to ask ourselves, do we need a new DAC?
Fortunately, so far, my count is only one SMSL DAC (plus one Topping DAC and an Allo hat) :). I was hoping that the DO100 would incorporate a new AKM chip and was a bit disappointed when I realized that it is the same chip configuration as a Topping D50s. I may end up still buying one for the balanced output we shall see. My preference would be a new version of a Topping D30, a very simple DAC with a high quality chip, no display, no filters, no preamp section, no remote, no MQA, XLR output and internal power. You know, you are right they could call it the SMSL DO50!:D

flz

My preference would be a new version of a Topping D30, a very simple DAC with a high quality chip, no display, no filters, no preamp section, no remote, no MQA, XLR output and internal power. You know, you are right they could call it the SMSL DO50!:D

Schitt Modius?

OP
S

Steamrolly

Schitt Modius?
Not a fan of Micro USB; I already have that on my SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII which has similar performance (same DAC chip) sans the XLR. Comparing the two ASR reviews the10th MKII unbalanced SINAD is virtually identical to the Modius XLR balanced.
I probably should just wait a few more years and spring for a bigger upgrade.

Last edited:

shinewu

I just placed an order for HO100. It is the perfect amp for me:
1) Enough output power.
2) Only amp, not pre-amp, etc.
3) Built-in linear power.

All while being super clean!

melvinjames

Forum Donor
I ordered the DO100 today from Aoshida. Shipping estimate is anywhere from 10-30 days. Hopefully I won't have to wait a month. In the meantime, I've had the SU-6 for about 2 months now and like it very much. So why the DO110? Well, it's basically the balanced version of the SU-6 and I have an AO200 arriving tomorrow. Haven't a clue if I'll actually hear a difference between these 2 DACs but I'm very curious if the balanced architecture will be worth it to me. Nonetheless, the price is good and the SU-6 will be used in another system. I didn't actually need 2 new DACs or an amp!

OP
S

Steamrolly

I ordered the DO100 today from Aoshida. Shipping estimate is anywhere from 10-30 days...
I am looking forward to hearing your impressions, both for the DO100 and AO200 combination and a comparison with the SU-6. I have my suspicions, that for the audio configurations that I own, there wouldn't be a significant audible difference between either DAC and my Sanskrit 10th MKII . I expect that many on this forum are in the same boat regarding the number of systems we own.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just purchased the HO100 for my Hifiman He400se and the HD560s to give them more juice.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Well, the AO200 arrived today. Sounds good right out of the box with the SU-6. Looking forward to the DO100.

OP
S

Steamrolly

So I ended up ordering a DO100 today and it should arrive mid next week. I will compare it to my two existing DAC's and see if it makes any audible difference in any of my systems. I expect that it would test better than my older D30 and SK10th MKII (I did e-mail Aoshida Audio and encourage them to send one to Amir for testing, time will tell if they actually do) but it is more important to me to see if that translates to a better listing experience. I have my doubts.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
My DO110 cleared customs in Cincinnati, OH and has left the building! Delivery estimate is May 9th. Hoping it will arrive sooner as I'm only 1 state away from OH.

Boxermotor

Excited to see the DO100 and HO100. A bit confused why there's not an AO100. It would make sense to have a matching power amplifier to round out the set...and with a subwoofer out.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
The DAC arrived today as hoped. I'll post impressions vs. the SU-6 a few days from now if you want my subjective opinion.

OP
S

Steamrolly

Excited to see the DO100 and HO100. A bit confused why there's not an AO100. It would make sense to have a matching power amplifier to round out the set...and with a subwoofer out.
Shenzhenaudio - SMSL SU-6 and SH-6
Aoshida Audio - SMSL DO100 and HO100
In both cases they don't include a speaker amp in the stack.
There certainly are enough speaker amps to chose from; I suspect that the demand for a desktop triple stack is fairly limited. What I like about the DO100 is it's a fairly simple cost effective balanced DAC option to go along with my A0200.

There is the SMSL A100 but it it isn't a matched set if that is what you are looking for; same amp chip as the A0200 without the balanced input.

Boxermotor

Shenzhenaudio - SMSL SU-6 and SH-6
Aoshida Audio - SMSL DO100 and HO100
In both cases they don't include a speaker amp in the stack.
There certainly are enough speaker amps to chose from; I suspect that the demand for a desktop triple stack is fairly limited. What I like about the DO100 is it's a fairly simple cost effective balanced DAC option to go along with my A0200.

There is the SMSL A100 but it it isn't a matched set if that is what you are looking for; same amp chip as the A0200 without the balanced input.
I like what you're thinking by pairing the DO100 with the AO200! For my office I'm wanting to add the flexibility of using headphones when people are around, hence the desire to see the O100 series rounded out with a power amp.

What I would really like is a good 2.1 all-in-one unit, but they are few and not well-rated (I tried out the Loxjie A30 and Fosi DA-2120D, but the headphone amps were lacking on both). Leaning toward the SMSL DA9 paired with a balanced DAC and HP amp combo unit like the Topping DX5 or EX5.

OP
S

Steamrolly

So my SMSL DO100 and Monoprice Premier Series XLR 16AWG interconnect cables (P/N 4749) arrived today. I haven't had a chance to do any comparative listening however I figured I could at least post some photos for those who are interested. The protective film is still on the DAC.

Side note:
I had read in a previous post that the Monoprice XLR cables are both not flexible and not really16AWG. The ones I received are definitely flexible enough and the packaging and cable itself both show 16AWG but I won't be taking my cable apart to confirm. They appear to be more than adequate for my application.

Attachments

• DO100 - 3a.jpg
    DO100 - 3a.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 290
  • DO100 - 1.jpg
    DO100 - 1.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 639
  • DO100 - 2a.jpg
    DO100 - 2a.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 291
Top Bottom