• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

sjeesjie

You label this as a USB Dac in the review, that’s not the case is it? I.e. the Coax and toslink are also inputs.

RHO

Major Contributor

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"They’re both balanced connection types that have little to no difference save for TRS being more balanced and robust than XLR".

Source:
That quote and article seems contradictory.
I wonder what is meant by “more” balanced?

I’m kind of a fan of connectors that lock for home audio

Olli

Forum Donor
Hi folks, 2 quick questions to those of you who own or have designed (@JohnYang1997 - :)) the Topping E50:

I want to extend my 4 Channel RME Adi 2 Pro with to more balanced outputs.
  • Do I need to power on the unit by pressing a button or does it turn on once it gets powered via AC Mains?
  • Does it remember the latest input (in my case SPDIF) or do I need to select the input by pressing a button everytime it gets reconnected to AC Mains?
Reason I am asking is that the RME has a setting where it will power on once it is connected to AC Mains - I am turning it on via the On/Off Selector of my power strip, and so would I like the topping to turn on/off the same way...

Thanks!

trivenge

What cable would you guys use to pair a topping l30 with an e50? Is there a trs to rca or should i just go rca in this case?

FuzzTone

Same SINAD at both 2V and 4V which is crazy at 120dB for BOTH. But alas, the 50mV spec is missing. (I wonder, could we get SINAD and not just SNR for 50mV?) I know you don't do it for DACs, but still :\

Alas, I just have to say it.. I HATE not having XLR for balanced duty (both input and output), I really like how solid and instant a connection is with XLR. I can somewhat understand for portable devices that use 4.4 or 2.5mm (though 2.5mm creator should be flogged, it's far too fragile at that size).

Also like the new LED screen, using more sectioned LED's, just looks better plainly put. Though dread the plexi front as always.
XLR (3) vs 4.4 (4)?
Kumquats and grapefruits. 6.5 TRS is THE solution.

FuzzTone

Wow... A missing detail (probably dumb question but still)... Can the remote control the output level? (for driving a pair of active speakers)
Default is "pre mode" in which the attenuation is enabled via remote, switchable. That's why I turned in a D10 Balanced for it. There is no level control on the M50.

FuzzTone

You can't go balanced to unbalanced over a simple cable, so just go with rca-rca lest you break something.
RCA is just 1/2 of balanced. All you're doing is adding a homemade connector to access it via balanced outs.

Cadguy

Has anyone tried connecting a CD player digital out to the E50 through the coax input? Any issues?

AndyLewis

Has anyone tried connecting a CD player digital out to the E50 through the coax input? Any issues?
Yes & none to report. Sounds excellent listening to Yes : & You & I with my Pioneer PD7300 as an early test.The complexities of the track are dealt with well - first bass notes off to the left then corrected & centralised, triangle/milk bottle ding shines through repeatedly a little like the vinyl version & the panning of guitar & the timbre of JA vocals with filter 2 are clearer than the "slow" filter version of the 6000a built in dac. 2 is my favoured filter on the Topping. Bass punch may be slightly lighter but it's a close thing. No interference or drop outs. I use a double shielded but budget Fos cable & keep the coax well away from mains power cables. Use a 30000ma power bank (Baseus) to power the E50. It has 2.5 watt + 1 watt usb outlets - but as it's just the dac it has no problems so far.
Well pleased!! ; )

Toku

Major Contributor
I bought two E50s and rigorously tested them, but I haven't had any problems with the E50s. (There was a big problem at the beginning of the release, but it was improved immediately.) It is one of the most stable DACs at present.

I connect a SONY Blu-ray player and a Topping D10s / D10B COAX output to the E50's COAX input, but it works perfectly.

Top Bottom