• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 639 94.2%

• Total voters

kthulhutu

Same for every kind of product, all the time.
But then you never buy anything, except if it was just refreshed.
And the previous model isn't necessarly obsolete (at least for Genelec) anyway.

Some people are waiting for a Revel Salon3. I hope they still enjoy music decently in the meantime.
With speakers this competent, time is better spent focusing on the room acoustics. When you apply psychoacoustic smoothing you realize how little minor differences above Schroeder matter.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is my absolute pleasure to strongly recommend the Genelec 8361A. I killed my back (and that of my wife's) carrying it around to measure and listen to but it was all worth it. If you can afford it, run, don't walk to get them for your system!
Even if I had the financial means to buy them (and I don't have them) why should I take all the fun out of my hobby? Looking for little pearls, trying out speakers, reading about dac ... I'd probably be sad to know that whatever I can see and hear will be no better than my boring but perfect active monitors.
It would make me a little sad

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Even if I had the financial means to buy them (and I don't have them) why should I take all the fun out of my hobby? Looking for little pearls, trying out speakers, reading about dac ... I'd probably be sad to know that whatever I can see and hear will be no better than my boring but perfect active monitors.
It would make me a little sad
GU_Evo_White_PT_08_preview (1).jpg

1236_8010-e1448436832988.jpg

Don't worry there will always be something better even better than the 8361;)

lherrm

Also i guarantee you the 8361 would sound better if it had a beryllium tweeter
Maybe someday... :cool:
Sorry @Pearljam5000 but this kind of statement is just laughable.
Beryllium is nowhere in Genelec lineup, yet you, as a consumer, "guarantee" it would make their TOTL speaker not only measure but sound better ? Make sure you drop an email to their R&D to help them.
Come on.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Sorry @Pearljam5000 but this kind of statement is just laughable.
Beryllium is nowhere in Genelec lineup, yet you, as a consumer, "guarantee" it would make their TOTL speaker not only measure but sound better ? Make sure you drop an email to their R&D to help them.
Come on.
Dude
Every beryllium tweeter I've heard was Amazing, especially Focal
Also as a material it's 7 times more rigid than aluminum so I'm assuming it will sound better I'm also assuming they're not using it because it's much more expensive

lherrm

Dude
Every beryllium tweeter I've heard was Amazing, especially Focal
Also as a material it's 7 times more rigid than aluminum so I'm assuming it will sound better I'm also assuming they're not using it because it's much more expensive
The fact you had a good experience with some beryllium tweeter doesn't mean anything.
You can find Beryllium tweeter in the 960€ Focal Solo 6. This price is amongst the least expensive of Genelec speakers.
You really think Genelec cuts on cost vs quality ? From my point of view and their market positionning, their philosophy is quite the opposite.
Yes, Beryllium is more rigid than aluminium, but what does it bring to the table, if aluminium is stiff enough ?
From https://community.genelec.com/forum/-/message_boards/message/933654#/ :
1650805237828.png

What use is a breakup frequency higher than 25KHz if the hearing and signal stops at 20KHz ?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The fact you had a good experience with some beryllium tweeter doesn't mean anything.
You can find Beryllium tweeter in the 960€ Focal Solo 6. This price is amongst the least expensive of Genelec speakers.
You really think Genelec cuts on cost vs quality ? From my point of view and their market positionning, their philosophy is quite the opposite.
Yes, Beryllium is more rigid than aluminium, but what does it bring to the table, if aluminium is stiff enough ?
From https://community.genelec.com/forum/-/message_boards/message/933654#/ :
View attachment 201970
What use is a breakup frequency higher than 25KHz if the hearing and signal stops at 20KHz ?
Every company cut costs
The solo 6 is an exception
Genelec themselves think there is use for frequencies higher than 25KHZ(8361 specs)
Screenshot_20220424-160603_Chrome.jpg

lherrm

1) Every company cut costs
2) The solo 6 is an exception
3)View attachment 201971
1) This means nothing. Each company has a philosophy/goals and tries to achieve them. Genelec seems to consistently aim at giving the best sound quality, use expensive die-cast aluminium enclosure, but cuts on tweeter to keep the cost low ? How logical is that ?
2) How so ? Did you participate in the design of the speaker ?
3) Maybe because it can handle it, but doesn't mean it's useful. Their biggest main 1236 only handles frequency up to 26 KHz :
1650806474634.png

Does it mean its treble handling is flawed by design ?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
1) This means nothing. Each company has a philosophy/goals and tries to achieve them. Genelec seems to consistently aim at giving the best sound quality, use expensive die-cast aluminium enclosure, but cuts on tweeter to keep the cost low ? How logical is that ?
2) How so ? Did you participate in the design of the speaker ?
3) Maybe because it can handle it, but doesn't mean it's useful. Their biggest main 1236 only handles frequency up to 26 KHz :
View attachment 201972
Does it mean its treble handling is flawed by design ?

lherrm

Well, if PSAudio and Paul McGowan say so.

Dgob

I needed less time than I thought to make up my mind about the need for subwoofers with the 8361A's. Remembering that I can only state what applies in my listening room with dimensions of (L x W x H) 15ft x 13ft x 8.5ft, and specific room treatments.

I was advised by Marcel Schechter at Genelec and made adjustments using the SAC and various comparative group profiles, which could be tested and compared at the same time. I ultimately selected the one that suits my ears and environment best and saved this to the monitors as well as saving it to the Genelec cloud.

Well, any semblance of superior midrange fullness that I favoured in the Revel F208's has now completely evaporated with the midrange that I am getting from my Genelecs. Also, and more relevant here, the bass is simply superb. So much so that I will now also have a pair of the original Velodyne DD12 subs for sale. (These monitors are truly proving to be cost effective! :)).

So in short, "no", I do NOT need a sub with these monitors. Blown away, completely!!
I've just managed to set up my 7360A subwoofer to drive both my 8361A's. In my room, I ended up with a 75Hz crossover and it makes a BIG difference. Midrange detail and overall timbre are hugely enhanced by the monitors not having to do the heavy lifting of the bottom end. Space and funds left me with a single 7360A (rather than two), but at this crossover point it has no negative impact on perfect 3D stereo imaging.

Had I space enough and funds, I might have gone for 2 of the 7370A's (or two of these 7360A's) for perfect stereo, but I really cannot see/hear how things could get any better. No doubt, when I pull the trigger on a second 7360A, I will have to revise my opinion on the basis of being able to use an even higher crossover point - and therefore taking even more strain off the monitors. I just cannot find a limit to the Ones and Genelec set ups. Unbelievable realism. :cool:

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I've just managed to set up my 7360A subwoofer to drive both my 8361A's. In my room, I ended up with a 75Hz crossover and it makes a BIG difference. Midrange detail and overall timbre are hugely enhanced by the monitors not having to do the heavy lifting of the bottom end. Space and funds left me with a single 7360A (rather than two), but at this crossover point it has no negative impact on perfect 3D stereo imaging.

Had I space enough and funds, I might have gone for 2 of the 7370A's (or two of these 7360A's) for perfect stereo, but I really cannot see/hear how things could get any better. No doubt, when I pull the trigger on a second 7360A, I will have to revise my opinion on the basis of being able to use an even higher crossover point - and therefore taking even more strain off the monitors. I just cannot find a limit to tne Ones and Genelec set ups. Unbelievable realism. :cool:
Damn
That's an end game setup for sure;)

Kervel

Forum Donor

Had I space enough and funds, I might have gone for 2 of the 7370A's (or two of these 7360A's) for perfect stereo, but I really cannot see/hear how things could get any better. No doubt, when I pull the trigger on a second 7360A, I will have to revise my opinion on the basis of being able to use an even higher crossover point - and therefore taking even more strain off the monitors. I just cannot find a limit to tne Ones and Genelec set ups. Unbelievable realism. :cool:
Wouldn't a single 7360 severely limit the overall system SPL? That sub hits 109db while the 8361 goes 119 according to Genelec. Did you try cranking up the volume?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't a single 7360 severely limit the overall system SPL? That sub hits 109db while the 8361 goes 119 according to Genelec. Did you try cranking up the volume?
That depends entirely on the content and crossover. If you have bass light content it probably doesn't matter. If you have bass heavy content, basically ANY setup is sub-limited. The 8361A itself only goes to 109dB with pink noise as the source, and it rolls off higher than a good sub. There was a user who had 2x7370s and found they couldn't keep up with 8351Bs! It took two JTR RS2s to remove the sub-bass bottleneck.

To actually keep up with 8361As on bass heavy content you're looking at something like 2-3 7380As at a minimum or a 7382A. Even that might not actually be enough for HT content in a large room.

Kervel

Forum Donor
That depends entirely on the content and crossover. If you have bass light content it probably doesn't matter. If you have bass heavy content, basically ANY setup is sub-limited.
Are you sure about that? I had guessed that GLM just reduces the max SPL digitally on the monitors to cope with the sub being the 'weakest link'. This way, the whole system gives consistent SPL for all content. If you allow the system to play SPL as a function of content, then bass light music would go extremely lound, but then suddenly the volume needs to be reduced when the kick drum kicks in.

I had seen the other thread. I asked to get more balanced feedback, being aware of some members having rather extreme SPL requierements:)

samysound

Are you sure about that? I had guessed that GLM just reduces the max SPL digitally on the monitors to cope with the sub being the 'weakest link'. This way, the whole system gives consistent SPL for all content. If you allow the system to play SPL as a function of content, then bass light music would go extremely lound, but then suddenly the volume needs to be reduced when the kick drum kicks in.

I had seen the other thread. I asked to get more balanced feedback, being aware of some members having rather extreme SPL requierements:)
GLM does not reduce max spl to cope with the "weakest link". The monitors and subs have clipping protection circuits that kick in to prevent damage to the respective speaker depending on the input signal. so if the sub is the weakest link, the clipping lights may show and output would be limited only on the sub while the monitors would be playing just fine

Top Bottom