• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta vs KEF R3

envydd

Forum Donor
There is a 500 discount on the Rs. Probably the meta Rs are on their way. There is a discount on the wireless ls50s too so it might be excess inventory issues.

envydd

Forum Donor
I have the LS50 OG, the R3s and recently borrowed a LS50 meta from a pal. Have compared the three extensively in my rooms. I cant hear much of a delta between the LS50 versions except that new metas are a little less bright but still as clear as the OGs. The R3s are darker/neutral and shine in large rooms at louder volumes and the bass is awesome. Personally I prefer the looks of the LS50s, the only speakers that beat it (and the R3s) are the B&W 805s at 4-5x the cost!

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
I have the LS50 OG, the R3s and recently borrowed a LS50 meta from a pal. Have compared the three extensively in my rooms. I cant hear much of a delta between the LS50 versions except that new metas are a little less bright but still as clear as the OGs. The R3s are darker/neutral and shine in large rooms at louder volumes and the bass is awesome. Personally I prefer the looks of the LS50s, the only speakers that beat it (and the R3s) are the B&W 805s at 4-5x the cost!
Yes I like the look of the LS50 meta as well the R3 just look like ordinary box speakers unfortunately!

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that's not important, the meta only marginally improved some minor internal reflection issues as far as I read, and the original LS50 was already fantastic speakers with similar limitations to the meta being the bass frequencies, in which you already have the subs to compliment, I would say for the ease of placement, price and look just get the meta
But it doesn’t have the creative write up of the metas. “Confused and ham fisted”. With words like that I’d pay to upgrade. All of a sudden one of the best speakers in the world is now “confused and ham-fisted”. If I didn’t grow up with decades of reading this kind of tripe I’d believe it too.

Also meta is the new “i”. Just like 10 years ago everyone wanted to put a lowercase “i” in front of their product name now it’s “meta” everything. Entire companies are changing their name to it.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
But it doesn’t have the creative write up of the metas. “Confused and ham fisted”. With words like that I’d pay to upgrade. All of a sudden one of the best speakers in the world is now “confused and ham-fisted”. If I didn’t grow up with decades of reading this kind of tripe I’d believe it too.

Also meta is the new “i”. Just like 10 years ago everyone wanted to put a lowercase “i” in front of their product name now it’s “meta” everything. Entire companies are changing their name to it.
Where did you get that quote from? “confused and ham-fisted”
In KEF’s advertising or marketing material

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you get that quote from? “confused and ham-fisted”
In KEF’s advertising or marketing material
What hi-fi wrote it. It’s in the OP’s post. It bothered me when I read it. I wanted to say “just eq your existing LS50s”. However when a man is on a mission to spend money you can’t really stop him. Those kind of words get money out of wallets quickly.

muad

What hi-fi wrote it. It’s in the OP’s post. It bothered me when I read it. I wanted to say “just eq your existing LS50s”. However when a man is on a mission to spend money you can’t really stop him. Those kind of words get money out of wallets quickly.
Two things.

1. Whathifi is complete garbage and only lay people take them seriously (most people)

2. You can eq the ls50 but it will never be the same as the metas. Take a look at the directivity index.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay just looked: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ls50-meta-vs-ls50-with-eq.26217/page-3

I would care and if the urge to buy new product exists I would go for it. I don’t think it’s that unreasonable.

If I didn’t have the urge and I were using it for 2 channel stereo I would arrange to be within 20 degrees of on axis at my listening position and eq as needed.

For home theater and multiple seats I would do the upgrade. If I cared that much about movie soundtracks. Some people do and I can see why they would upgrade. The new driver is indeed better.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
…….For home theater and multiple seats I would do the upgrade. If I cared that much about movie soundtracks. Some people do and I can see why they would upgrade. The new driver is indeed better.
Yes I care about Home Theater

muad

Okay just looked: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ls50-meta-vs-ls50-with-eq.26217/page-3

I would care and if the urge to buy new product exists I would go for it. I don’t think it’s that unreasonable.

If I didn’t have the urge and I were using it for 2 channel stereo I would arrange to be within 20 degrees of on axis at my listening position and eq as needed.

For home theater and multiple seats I would do the upgrade. If I cared that much about movie soundtracks. Some people do and I can see why they would upgrade. The new driver is indeed better.
Just be careful in thinking that directivity represents the listening angle. It does but it's not the real issue.

When you listen to a loudspeaker, approx 40% is direct sound (listening angle), 40% is due to 1st reflections, and the remaining 20% is the total of all reflections. These numbers are approximate and will vary depending on how absorbant your room is.

You can have a flat direct response, but the sidewall reflections will alter the response at the listening position.

horizontal directivity and listening window are king.

harkpabst

There is a 500 discount on the Rs. Probably the meta Rs are on their way.
Think I have heard that before ...

KEF just announced a very nice sale!

Looks like the R and reference series are getting Meta upgrades!
... in October 2021. :)

My guess: Not gonna happen any time soon as there's absolutely no need to. BTW: At least in Germany list prices have gone up along the introduction of Reference Meta and Blade Meta. For all models, including R series and LS50. This is not just KEF, though.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Yes everything is going up in price, inflation is creeping up!
Well it could be that the R Series will get meta material next year so that they can sell the Reference series now!

envydd

Forum Donor
Yes everything is going up in price, inflation is creeping up!
Well it could be that the R Series will get meta material next year so that they can sell the Reference series now!
yes indeed. I am thinking of buying another pair at the sale prices. Ideally I wanted a good front ported speaker (e.g. B&W 805) but can't find a white one.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
yes indeed. I am thinking of buying another pair at the sale prices. Ideally I wanted a good front ported speaker (e.g. B&W 805) but can't find a white one.

I am curious as to why you want a front ported speaker? What is your application?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Easier to place?

Also I find my KEF R3 to be a little darker than the B&W 805 ....

Nearly everything is darker than B&Ws made after ~year 2000. ;)

B&W 805 D4 Listening Window from Soundstage! Network and NRC:
fr_listeningwindow.png

This turns out it could be a very common myth. About a year ago, I posted a shootout between my front ported Revel F206s and my rear ported Philharmonic BMRs. Effect on room modes was essentially identical according to my in-room measurements. Rear ported speakers at least give you the opportunity absorb any port noise with broadband panels. This usually only matters if you listen loud.

Where I have measured a difference is when placing bookshelf speakers in actual bookshelves with shelving surrounding them. DSP can probably help with that, but I did not have it available at the time, so I settled on front ported speakers in that room.

Last edited:

envydd

Forum Donor
Nearly everything is darker than B&Ws made after ~year 2000. ;)

This turns out it could be a very common myth. About a year ago, I posted a shootout between my front ported Revel F206s and my rear ported Philharmonic BMRs. Effect on room modes was essentially identical according to my in-room measurements. Rear ported speakers at least give you the opportunity absorb any port noise with broadband panels. This usually only matters if you listen loud.

Where I have measured a difference is when placing bookshelf speakers in actual bookshelves with shelving surrounding them. DSP can probably help with that, but I did not have it available at the time, so I settled on front ported speakers in that room.
Thx for the thread and the interesting observations. My bookshelves are on 24" wooden bookshelves (hence no stands needed) but are only about 9" from the wall. Hence was thinking front ported.

I thought the B&Ws are bright and have a more "airy" sounding midrange esp for jazz/vocals. If I can EQ/DSP and get similar frequency response, I can be happy with white KEFs. Need to find some REW configs that someone more knowledgeable than myself has figure out that I can use with my new miniDSP flex that I need to setup.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Before anyone can answer that you need to figure out your max SPL C or Z weighted, have you done this? The R3 can play louder than the LS50 for sure but if you don't play beyond the LS50's capability that doesn't really matter. I've had both and I realized I don't listen super loud and prefer the LS50 for its pure point-source presentation. Someone who listens louder than 85db at the listening position may prefer the R3. Subwoofers are more important with the LS50, if you cross them over at 100Hz or so, the distortion won't be much of an issue.
I don’t listen above 85db I want to protect my hearing!

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t listen above 85db I want to protect my hearing!

That's how most of listen, in that case there isn't much reason to go for the R3, they play louder with lower distortion but the LS50 Meta with a 100Hz 2nd order high pass will play as loud as you need and do everything else better in my opinion.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Looking forward to seeing and hearing the R Meta in 2023!

Top Bottom