• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

bakker_be

Thanks for the reply but the question is for owners of the board on here. The Pi combo can definitely deliver it, no question (and does so for me into a DAC2).
I know it can, but it's also dependent on which HW is connected, that is the case with I2S dac's anyway. I also remember quite some stuff going on to fully support the Pro-Ject dac.

Nybto

Forum Donor
Wouldn’t be worth pursuing if it wasn’t even implemented on the Tone Board though, would it? I thought one or two folks on here might have been able to give me a definitive answer .

jackenhack

Forum Donor
I think they turned whatever is causing it off. I doubt it has anything to do with internals or power, just chip set-up (which is probably shooting in the dark, not sure how much detailed information manufacturers get from ESS). But Oppo seems to have pulled it off!

I have the datasheet for the ESS DAC, but I'm under NDA. But I can at least say that the THD correction is on by default. I'm about to order a Khadas Tone Board, so I can hook up my logic analyzer on the I2C bus. I should be able to fiddle the settings of register 22-23 (which is on by default) with a Bus Pirate to turn off the compensation and then measure before and after. But first I need to replenish my wallet because this forum has put a serious dent in it. Topping D50 DAC, Behringer UMC202HD and now the THX AAA amplifier. Ah, and a subscription to Roon of course!

I don't want to disassemble my D50 (yet,) because you know, music.
:D

Veri

Master Contributor
I have the datasheet for the ESS DAC, but I'm under NDA. But I can at least say that the THD correction is on by default. I'm about to order a Khadas Tone Board, so I can hook up my logic analyzer on the I2C bus. I should be able to fiddle the settings of register 22-23 (which is on by default) with a Bus Pirate to turn off the compensation and then measure before and after. But first I need to replenish my wallet because this forum has put a serious dent in it. Topping D50 DAC, Behringer UMC202HD and now the THX AAA amplifier. Ah, and a subscription to Roon of course!

I don't want to disassemble my D50 (yet,) because you know, music.
:D

Super valuable information !!!

Ben1987

Audio Company
Hi guys,we did a volume control DEMO and you Can use USB to directly upgrade your xmos firmware.
Download here:https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/test/ToneBoard/
TIM图片20181116183331.png

If you have a certain hands-on ability, you can experience it as soon as possible. Here’s how to experience it:
Step 1:
TONE VOL.png

Step 2:
Inkedsolder_LI.jpg

ok.jpg

The simplest way to do this is with your hand, but there may be static volume controls.
DEMO:
We will make an accessory for this hardware volume control, which will probably be completed next month.
Have fun!(* ̄︶ ̄)

helloworld

Hi guys,we did a volume control DEMO and you Can use USB to directly upgrade your xmos firmware.
Download here:https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/test/ToneBoard/
View attachment 17655
If you have a certain hands-on ability, you can experience it as soon as possible. Here’s how to experience it:
Step 1:
View attachment 17656
Step 2:
View attachment 17657
View attachment 17658
The simplest way to do this is with your hand, but there may be static volume controls.
DEMO:
We will make an accessory for this hardware volume control, which will probably be completed next month.
Have fun!(* ̄︶ ̄)
So only install the new xmos driver or we have to flash this board with the flash and dfu zip file?

Nango

Major Contributor
Ok, I think I can live without the volume control feature using the volume amp-wise, I thought the new firmware could also be responsible for better SQ.

WoodyLuvr

Good day all. Just ordered a Khadas Tone Board.

Quick question... would a 2 x Male RCA to 1 X Male 3.5mm TRS Audio Jack Adapter fit or is the spacing between the RCAs not standard? For example

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Quick question... would a 2 x Male RCA to 1 X Male 3.5mm TRS Audio Jack Adapter fit or is the spacing between the RCAs not standard? For example
What are you planning to connect to that? In general it is better to use cable versions of these as to not put too much strain on the connectors.

WoodyLuvr

What are you planning to connect to that? In general it is better to use cable versions of these as to not put too much strain on the connectors.
Howdy.
Khadas Tone Board RCA Outputs to a wired Amplifier 3.5mm input jack... both will be affixed together on a board inside my amp case... so absolutely no strain concerns whatsoever. The connection needs to be short as possible so as to conserve space and to avoid unneeded coiled up cable inside the case. I rather not solder lines in as I have two perfectly functioning connections to utilize that only require a very short connector.

So very short is the goal here and thus why I am looking at adapters instead of interconnect cables.

Do you happen to know of a 2 x RCA Male to Male 3.5mm TRS interconnect with a cable length shorter than 5cm in between? I probably could make <10cm work if I put some thought into it.

I wouldnt put that kind of cheap stuff there to compromise sound quality.......something like this instead..

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=49
Appreciate the feedback. I was not planning to use that exact model linked above... I was just giving an example of the connector type I was speaking of. With that said, a simple connector well under USD 5 will more than suffice (both sonic'ally and electrically speaking) if one ensures a solid connection is made.

My specific question again was about the RCA output spacing... is it standard as seen on audio receivers and other such audio equipment or not?

Respects,

Last edited:

derp1n

My specific question again was about the RCA output spacing... is it standard as seen on audio receivers and other such audio equipment or not?

@TimW published plans for a case for the Tone Board here, which includes measurements for the face plate that may be sufficient to answer your question.

WoodyLuvr

@TimW published plans for a case for the Tone Board here, which includes measurements for the face plate that may be sufficient to answer your question.
Awesome, EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! I had completely missed that! Hmmm looks to be very close if not to standard. Much appreciated good sir!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Howdy.
Khadas Tone Board RCA Outputs to a wired Amplifier 3.5mm input jack... both will be affixed together on a board inside my amp case... so absolutely no strain concerns whatsoever. The connection needs to be short as possible so as to conserve space and to avoid unneeded coiled up cable inside the case. I rather not solder lines in as I have two perfectly functioning connections to utilize that only require a very short connector.

So very short is the goal here and thus why I am looking at adapters instead of interconnect cables.

Do you happen to know of a 2 x RCA Male to Male 3.5mm TRS interconnect with a cable length shorter than 5cm in between? I probably could make <10cm work if I put some thought into it.
Ah OK, I understand. I have the female version of the adapter you posted before and for sure its is more compact than what is on Khadas board. I measured the distance between the centers of Left and Right RCA connectors and it is 18 millimeters. So you are going to have to go with wires, not a rigid adapter.

And no, I have not seen on that short. Shortest standard adapter cable is 6 inches.

WoodyLuvr

Ah OK, I understand. I have the female version of the adapter you posted before and for sure its is more compact than what is on Khadas board. I measured the distance between the centers of Left and Right RCA connectors and it is 18 millimeters. So you are going to have to go with wires, not a rigid adapter.

And no, I have not seen on that short. Shortest standard adapter cable is 6 inches.
Gosh darnit... yep, 18mm is too wide for a rigid adapter. I'll need to DIY a cable then which is gonna be a nightmare with my hand tremors... LOL. How bad is it to coil up RCA cable?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How bad is it to coil up RCA?
Shouldn't be a problem if it is not close to a transformer. Make it figure 8 or something if it is.

Top Bottom