• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

pogo

Major Contributor
Sound improvement possible with M23: Link
Addendum:
The M23 was used in horizontal bi-amping mode on the Epicons with the audible improvements described.
The testers did not like the Bridge Mode as much as bi-amping on the Epicons, and that was probably due to the halved DF.

pogo

Major Contributor
Here is a short tutorial video about the new DL app:
Link

The new desktop version now also offers the new auto target curve function.

pogo

Major Contributor
Can someone check if the distortion issue (SW on, Tone Control off) still exists or has improved after yesterday's upgrade?
The upgrade took a suspiciously long time yesterday....

Powerbench

Do you need the sw outputs?
Maybe…I try to support NAD (Canada) but it seems some things are hit and miss. There is also the Anthem STR integrated with ARC , I guess really doesn’t help if a. Reliability b. Glitches are issues and are frustrating.

doorofnight

Can someone check if the distortion issue (SW on, Tone Control off) still exists or has improved after yesterday's upgrade?
The upgrade took a suspiciously long time yesterday....

Still there, but not as much as before (I think). I use Billie Eilish - Ocean Eyes for testing. Most of the distortion is gone, but yet, not all. I am still hoping and waiting for a final solution. NAD unworthy.

vanwalsum

I'm curious if there is someone with seriously proven Dirac live experience who can take a look at my settings. I'm losing punch when I switch on my subwoofer from the mains and in total. Can't solve it. Want to know if my settings and timing are good. I'm also curious if Dirac live works better on my Mac or on windows. Playing with DALI Epicon 2 and an NAD M-10D subwoofer. From the impulse response, don't know if it looks good!

Schermafbeelding 2022-04-27 om 20.39.58.png
Schermafbeelding 2022-04-27 om 20.40.06.png
Schermafbeelding 2022-04-27 om 20.40.26.png
Schermafbeelding 2022-04-27 om 20.40.39.png
Schermafbeelding 2022-04-27 om 20.40.41.png

Dreamps

Hi, I'm looking to buy the m33, I am demoing the unit now vs the model 40n. I noticed the m33 doesn't turn on or off with HDMI earc(LG remote). The input on the m33 also doesn't change to HDMI automatically, the 40n does these things without any issues. I am using a LG C1, any ideas?

spyne

I am demoing the unit now vs the model 40n.
How are you finding the 40n?
I'm considering replacing my PS Audio with an all-in-one and the Marantz 40n is on my shortlist (along with Cambridge EVO150 and NAD M10v2)

Dreamps

How are you finding the 40n?
I'm considering replacing my PS Audio with an all-in-one and the Marantz 40n is on my shortlist (along with Cambridge EVO150 and NAD M10v2)
it's amazing! sounds great has a bit of a warm feel to it but that helps with the 702 signatures that I have them hooked up to. The reason why i really want the m40n is due to ease and hdmi arc. It just works! i also have the evo150 here as well :) Evo is more clinical and the m40 is more warm but fuller sound. Evo has chromecast built in and the m40n doesn't. Don't let the 70wpc fool you as the AB design really pumps out the power vs the m33 or evo 150. using the app on the phone to match the volume, you have to turn up the volume to 70(m33 and evo) compared to 40 on the model 40.

I tried everything with the m33, it refuses to power on or off with the lg c1 with hdmi arc or earc enabled. That for me is the reason not to buy it.

Powerbench

it's amazing! sounds great has a bit of a warm feel to it but that helps with the 702 signatures that I have them hooked up to. The reason why i really want the m40n is due to ease and hdmi arc. It just works! i also have the evo150 here as well :) Evo is more clinical and the m40 is more warm but fuller sound. Evo has chromecast built in and the m40n doesn't. Don't let the 70wpc fool you as the AB design really pumps out the power vs the m33 or evo 150. using the app on the phone to match the volume, you have to turn up the volume to 70(m33 and evo) compared to 40 on the model 40.

I tried everything with the m33, it refuses to power on or off with the lg c1 with hdmi arc or earc enabled. That for me is the reason not to buy it.
Yup.

fcracer

Forum Donor
Don't let the 70wpc fool you as the AB design really pumps out the power vs the m33 or evo 150. using the app on the phone to match the volume, you have to turn up the volume to 70(m33 and evo) compared to 40 on the model 40.
Curious question, how is the volume control calibrated on the various amplifiers? Can a direct comparison be made via the volume controls?

pogo

Major Contributor
Curious question, how is the volume control calibrated on the various amplifiers? Can a direct comparison be made via the volume controls?
No. See also here for the M33: Link

fcracer

Forum Donor
No. See also here for the M33: Link
Of course you can’t. There are so many factors at play. The algorithm used for the volume control (linear, exponential, any funky curve the designer wants to use), the gain of the input, and the interpretation of the actual number displayed on the screen to name just name just a few. There could be several more variables, so level matching and then determining if an amplifier is more or less powerful by using the volume gauge is not scientific nor likely to be accurate.

Top Bottom