• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SACD 30n Measurements (SACD Player, DAC & Streamer)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on, it wasn't that broken.;) Surely not competitive at its price, with not terrible results.
For 44.1 KHz content is definitely is very broken.
1651046884358.png

Last edited:

Steve Rogers

Maybe the unexpected grass explains the price tag?

Attachments

• dynamics.png
    dynamics.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 86

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this is 100% speculation and entirely conditional.
Then just don't give a figure.
"5 or 6dB" seems very objective, while, in fact, it's a (very) wild guess, based on nothing really objective.

Also, why to test at -3dBFS ?
You typically sacrifice 3dB of dynamic range just by doing that.

fricccolodics

Superb testing! Thx!
Double thx for running the headphone output test!
NIce unit with a bit of a high price, but we always have to keep in mind that average income in Japan is 4x the income in China, so prices in the end have to reflect MADE IN JAPAN-circumstances

stvnharr

Hi Vintage Flanker,
Thanks so much for the review.
This is the first post Ken Ishiwata Marantz product. I have the swansong unit, the Ruby player.
One thing though minor, the Marantz MMM system first came with the SA-10 player. The SA-11S3 player uses the Burr Brown DSD1792A dac chip.
Folks always go on about price of units, and well.............Marantz has different pricing in different marketing regions. The US is always cheapest, with highest sales volume I assume, and Australia has the highest price and lowest sales volume. Thus this player is $3k in US and $6K in Australia, where I live.
Players may be so "Yesterday" but if one has a large disc collection and wants to play the discs, these Marantz players are good. I really like my Ruby player, and I run it in to a Starkrimson Ultra - great music playback.

morillon

Major Contributor
good morning
I can't always grasp...
I have the impression that sometimes jitter tests are presented using only a 12khz.. or "bi-tone" j-tests
why?
I often find it confusing...
what is it now?

;-)

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, it lacks the Roon Ready certification, but I have been told that the latter should come with a firmware update.​
The device is on the market since late 2000. If that update hasn't appeared yet, it probably never will.

All PCM signals are also unsampled to DSD 11.2Mhz.​
1640962865777.gif

Unsampled to DSD you say? What a time to be alive.;)

In any case, I would like to address my gratitude to Sound United (AKA Denon/Marantz) for sending me this unit and that way, consenting to third-party verification. This is the kind of transparent behaviour we should expect from any manufacturer.
Indeed, thanks Sound United.

Flanker rating: Competent
Seems to be very nice piece of kit indeed.

Nice review as well, excellent pictures. Looks like LED light and Google Pixels Night mode. Very stylish :cool:
Thanks for the measurements.:)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, just please make photos with normal lighting. These red blue colors are distracting.
Normal photos can be acquired at the manufacturers site. Let the man do something different than the usual drab stuff

However, it is still the most widely available format for purchase of multichannel recordings.
Yet most "better" SACD players don't play it. For example my Yamaha CD-S 1000.:confused:
It's my main gripe with the format. Other than that, not audible to me if i have switched to SACD or CD layer.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
where do you live mate? the 100hz and subsequent harmonics is likely a harmonic of the units power supply from the mains - you live in a country with 50hz mains supply?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for this excellent review. I was looking at this for a while and hesitated based upon other, recent reviews that were not so flattering.
Excellent to know they can still manage to make good stuff if they try

morillon

Major Contributor
where do you live mate? the 100hz and subsequent harmonics is likely a harmonic of the units power supply from the mains - you live in a country with 50hz mains supply?
what?
?

we come across standardized j-test..
or that sort of thing
an explanation?
I admit that I see a bit of confusion there.
j-test? juste so noisy we can t see the harmonics of the 250hz?

Attachments

• Jitter USB 2.7.png
    Jitter USB 2.7.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 65
  • SPDIF Jitter.png
    SPDIF Jitter.png
    77 KB · Views: 62
  • Wiim Mini Measurement Jitter Analog Streamer Android Bluetooth.png
    Wiim Mini Measurement Jitter Analog Streamer Android Bluetooth.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Multitone 64
(192Khz, 20Hz-22Khz bandwidth, 10 averages, 262K FFT)
Can you show multitone out to 96kHz, since you used 192k signal already?

Especially since this is upsampling everything to DSD256, it would be nice to see the out of band results.

Last edited:

Putter

Forum Donor
I feel like I'm sh_tting on the parade, but a $3000 SACD player that can't do multichannel with at best inaudible improvements over a few hundred dollar Sony Blu ray. Would it have hurt them to at least had an HDMI out on this piece of audio jewelry?

Top Bottom