• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

pma

Major Contributor
To all of the arm chair engineers who think they could do better, here's a suggestion:
Raise capital
Design product
Market and sell said profuct.

This amp with one of their balanced DAC's fed by a lossless source feeding some 87 dB+ eff speakers will give SotA performance.

Do better than that, then your criticisms may bear weight.

I was selling this amplifier made in a small-lot production in 2011 at $2500. You speak about arm chair engineers, may I humbly ask if you are a real engineer? In what field?

PA4_box_sm.jpg

Description

Solid state, dual mono design, stereo power amplifier. Inputs: 1 pair balanced (XLR). Outputs: 2 pairs binding posts. Protection circuits: DC output, AC current overload, DC current overload.

Specifications

• Output power 2 x 300W/4 ohm, 2 x 150W/8 ohm
  • Input impedance 94kohm balanced
  • Frequency range 0.5Hz - 130kHz (-3dB)
  • Harmonic distortion <0.03%/100W/8 ohm
  • CCIF 19+20kHz intermodulation distortion <0.03%/40Vp/8 ohm
  • Slew rate >80V/us
  • Gain 27dB
  • Dimensions 450 x 440 x 190mm
  • Weight 30kg approx.

F1308

Major Contributor
You have 2 speakers + 3 dB
Level ~ 75 dBA +12 dB, 87 dB eff speaker
-10 + 3 + 12 = +5 dB
0.063 W average ~ 75 dBA

On 60 W ~ 29 dB headroom, 104 dB peaks
I usually see ~100-102 dBZ with my 87 eff speakers at 75 dBA.

imho actual Power requirements are misunderstood.
You are really an Ingenieur...!!!

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, If only people that can do better where allowed to criticize, Do you recommend that this site should be shut down? Have you ever been in business? If you want to put a product outr and are not able to take critics from the potential users, do something else... That's the most important thing what the market think. You don't make products for yourself. Since when only audio designers are allowed to have an opinion on audio products?
Simmer down cowpoke.
Constructive criticism vs unfounded, unarticulated, whining.
The power is sufficient if integrated into a matched system.
The price is not out of line in this hobby.
Bear in mind Amir's numbers iirc INCLUDE the preamp section.

The mfg. has not commented on the 'criticism', so leave them out of it.
You have not given a scenario where this falls short.
Here's one. 4800 cu ft room, 83 dB speakers, avg. level 80 dB.
Even then at 3 m may be fine.
Avg P 1.4 W, DR 16+ dB
Note: this does not include room gain, perhaps + 3 dB or lowering avg. power to 0.7 and DR to 19+.
Not the 90 W when clipping

F1308

Major Contributor
Any fixed relationship between inputs and volume ?
Or are we to go setting volume as inputs are changed ?

Ingenieur

Amir did not measure bridged performance at 4 ohm at all.

Specifcations also mention that 8 ohm is the recomended impedance for bridged performance.
I think the 8 Ohm is speaker load, so each channel would see 4 Ohm?

DWI

This pushes other companies to step up their designs and it is good for everyone.
It allows Topping not to be so offensive on the 100watts @8ohms market right now and to build attention to their company in regard of its future products that might achieve greater power.
I can't think any manufacturer is going to change their design objectives to focus specifically on these ultra-low distortion figures. The AHB2 was released almost 10 years ago and it not like every audio company said "let's stop what we're doing, let's focus on bettering the AHB2".

Making a Class AB 100w integrated amplifier with ultra-low distortion is a completely different proposition. No one knows if this amplifier has any dynamic ability, it could be a very transparent wet rag, and it has a rubbish feature list for an integrated.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Simmer down cowpoke.
Constructive criticism vs unfounded, unarticulated, whining.
The power is sufficient if integrated into a matched system.
The price is not out of line in this hobby.
Bear in mind Amir's numbers iirc INCLUDE the preamp section.

The mfg. has not commented on the 'criticism', so leave them out of it.
You have not given a scenario where this falls short.
Here's one. 4800 cu ft room, 83 dB speakers, avg. level 80 dB.
Even then at 3 m may be fine.
Avg P 1.4 W, DR 16+ dB
Note: this does not include room gain, perhaps + 3 dB or lowering avg. power to 0.7 and DR to 19+.
Not the 90 W when clipping
80 dB SPL is not loud. Average level is perceived loudness. To perceive a 30 Hz bass note at 80 dB SPL it would measure 110 dB SPL unweighted. (Fletcher Munson)

Ingenieur

I can't think any manufacturer is going to change their design objectives to focus specifically on these ultra-low distortion figures. The AHB2 was released almost 10 years ago and it not like every audio company said "let's stop what we're doing, let's focus on bettering the AHB2".

Making a Class AB 100w integrated amplifier with ultra-low distortion is a completely different proposition. No one knows if this amplifier has any dynamic ability, it could be a very transparent wet rag, and it has a rubbish feature list for an integrated.
This is meant to pair with their DAC.
How do you know it has a low slew rate?
It is not a completely different proposition.
Bigger PS, a few more stages.
Even if it gives up 3 dB, still = to the AHB2.
Give credit where credit is due until YOU can personally do better.

Ingenieur

80 dB SPL is not loud. Average level is perceived loudness. To perceive a 30 Hz bass note at 80 dB SPL it would measure 110 dB SPL unweighted. (Fletcher Munson)
80 dBA is loud.
Freight train loud
You will not have 110 dBA in you home

B03089C6-B207-4CFC-9FB7-6E8B7EF8A09F.png

You are not reading it correctly
First, 30 Hz is rare in most recorded 'music'
Second at 80 dB 30 Hz is <90, not 110
A0F94B7F-6366-4879-A547-868C2D263B39.png

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review Amir. Great work John Yang.

I was definitely surprised to see this blow the AHB2 out of the water. I knew it would happen someday, but that amp has reigned for a very long run.

I think the price is fine, actually very good, for an amp with a relay attenuator, nice centered volume knob, and better performance on the most interesting specs than anything Amir has measured in the category.

I am really looking forward to its bigger little brother!

Milesian

Amir’s review exemplifies everything I enjoy about ASR. Detailed, concise, informative. Many of the ensuing comments exemplify what I don’t like about ASR. Gripes about the price, cosmetics and perceived lack of power. Too many people are obsessed with muscle and think Watts are everything. $800 for a piece of what appears to be superlative electrical engineering is a steal. Well done Topping. If the sound matches the measured performance you have a winner.

PeteL

Major Contributor
80 dBA is loud.
Freight train loud
You will not have 110 dBA in you home

View attachment 202480
Sorry but most Recording engineers I know like to maintain 85 dB SPL, A-weighted for their average listening level at all time, pushing it once in a while to impress clients. Rock concert, 90-100 dB SPL. Again, I got nothing against that if 80 dB SPL (A-weighted) is what you want to listen at. I want to be able to get more.

Top Bottom