• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 89 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 262 69.9%

• Total voters

EvaGrin

I'm using TRI TK2.
If i upgrade to this DAC, would it worth the price?
I mean, can i feel the sound wise upgrade?

I'm using Focal Celestee, Thieaudio Monarch mk1, Seeaudio bravery, KOSS KDE250.
Will dx5 be a good matching for my phones?

yuchen

Recent I bought the SONUS FABER SONETTO II, and I need to upgrade my integrated ampto power amp. Can I use Topping DX5 as DAC+PRE AMP intil I have more budget to buy Topping D90SE+Topping PRE90?
Is it good enought to SONETTO II?Attach files
I'm waiting new topping power amp...
278272793_5387459277931554_3783192052519080152_n.jpg

RHO

Major Contributor
Recent I bought the SONUS FABER SONETTO II, and I need to upgrade my integrated ampto power amp. Can I use Topping DX5 as DAC+PRE AMP intil I have more budget to buy Topping D90SE+Topping PRE90?
Is it good enought to SONETTO II?Attach files
I'm waiting new topping power amp...
View attachment 201175
Your speakers will always be the weak link in the system when using audibly transparent gear in front of them. The DX5 will not change the performance of your Sonus Fabers in any audible way.

Zhouya

What's the main difference between this one and Topping Ex5?Is it worth 100USD?

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But dx3pro+ doesn't have a bal output, I need that. So I prefer EX5 or DX 5
What kind of balanced output do you need? Line outputs (for active speakers) or headphones with balanced cables?

audiofun

A headphone with balanced cables. HD650
EX5 does not have balanced headphone output. it has a 4-pin XLR jack, but the output is single ended.
You can refer to the official spec and find xlr and 1/4 jack have exactly the same spec.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
A headphone with balanced cables. HD650
If there's enough power available there's no need for a balanced connection to headphones. It makes no difference.
Having an XLR or 4.4mm connection available for convenience is nice to have.
If the SE output is lacking in performance a balanced output with 4x the power is great.
But with the performance of the SE output on these recent Topping products there's no problem with the XLR connection being only for convenience. It should be plenty for your HD650.

Zhouya

EX5 does not have balanced headphone output. it has a 4-pin XLR jack, but the output is single ended.
You can refer to the official spec and find xlr and 1/4 jack have exactly the same spec.
yeah I checked it carefully, and found that. Thanks for attenting me.

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

yeah I checked it carefully, and found that. Thanks for attenting me.
Yup. I'm rocking my HD650 headphones this morning from the DX3 Pro+ this morning. I have a balanced cable on them now, which I bought for use with another amp (THX AAA 789), but I can use the HD650 just fine on the DX3 Pro+ with this little adapter…easier than changing cables.

I definitely don't feel that I'm missing anything. No crosstalk issues, etc.

Zhouya

Yup. I'm rocking my HD650 headphones this morning from the DX3 Pro+ this morning. I have a balanced cable on them now, which I bought for use with another amp (THX AAA 789), but I can use the HD650 just fine on the DX3 Pro+ with this little adapter…easier than changing cables.

I definitely don't feel that I'm missing anything. No crosstalk issues, etc.
It looks nice, I will search this in a shopping website in china. Thanks a lot.

Plcamp

Couple of questions…

I have seen several topping DACs with reported problems syncing to toslink from devices like TV’s and CD players. Do we know if this one has that issue?

On this device, is the volume control for headphones independent from the volume control on xlr/rca out?

Is there a distance limit on usb connections between this and a pc?

Bow_Wazoo

I could not resist any longer,
and ordered a dx5 today.
Finally a design from Topping that I like.
The housing / ground , are connected to PE, right?

Last edited:

mario_rouge

another hpa dac with 9038pro, the battle of cheap HPA DACs is getting richer and richer in contenders

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
another hpa dac with 9038pro, the battle of cheap HPA DACs is getting richer and richer in contenders

And this one has beefy handles at the front, which will make it sooo much easier to move it around…

Top Bottom