• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Custom linux DAP build - am I crazy?

tokyovigilante

Hi All,

I would really like a dedicated DAP to replace my phone, however I use a Subsonic-API music streamer (Navidrome) primarily. I have used the various iOS apps, but none really work well particularly regarding sync and shuffle play.

I have built my own desktop player using the Subsonic API in Swift, and have had the crazy idea of building a DAP based on this software running Linux. I could use something like the Pimoroni Pirate Audio board, but would rather have everything in a single board with a 4-5" display and larger battery.

I have made some initial research, and have asked an electronic engineer to create a prototype PCB based on the ESS ES9218 DAC/Amp and an ARM Cortex processor. An SD card slot or WiFi could be used to load the OS/music, and a 3.5" output would be included. If a WiFi/BT chip is included, there is no reason BT streaming to/from the device could not be included also, or USB audio out etc... The sky is the limit when a general-purpose OS is running and the hardware is open.

Has anyone done anything like this or would be interested in such a device? Any thoughts on the DAC/Amp combo? The ESS chip is relatively expensive, but does have a Linux driver as released by LG

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep dreading the fact that I will need to do this eventually as Rockbox ports get fewer and farther between.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The only Linux DAP I know is the Dethonray DTR1, so I'm curious to see where your project goes!

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think it's crazy. Buy a $250 LG V60 and uninstall or hide the stuff you don't want. That being said sounds like fun.

OP
T

tokyovigilante

Ok, this is what I've got so far (schematic, PCB in progress)
  • Based on RPi CM4 compute module
  • TI PCM5242 DAC (connected via I2S for audio and I2C/SPI for control) and TI TPA1620 headphone amp
  • 4.3" 800x480 display (planned from Waveshare) and an aluminium CNC-milled case (pending final board dimensions)
  • 3.5" headphone jack
  • 2x USB 2, USB-C charge/EEPROM flash with battery charging/UPS while in use.
  • SD card slot
  • micro-HDMI port
  • BT/WiFi (on CM4 module).

Pros:
  • RPi board means much easier and easier support than a full custom SBC
  • TI combo easier to integrate and more easily sourced than the ESS chips
  • Can actually be used as a full desktop computer with networking as well as a portable DAP, plus all the bidirectional USB and BT support of the Pi.
  • LVGL is a near perfect tool for building a touchscreen UI for the player.
  • I'm hoping for 8-12hrs of battery life with sensible power management.
Cons:
  • CM4 potentially overpowered for this application
  • SNR/THD of TI DAC slightly lower than the ESS (~94dB THD at best)
  • Potential inability to use eMMC variants of the CM4 with an SD card (this is an issue with the SDIO pins being disabled, but there is a second SD (storage only) set of pins on the GPIO.
  • Will end up being bulkier than a single board solution once battery taken into account.
  • My crap EE skills and absolute state of the world/chip supply chain mean it may never be built. (Good luck actually getting a CM4...)
Thoughts? (Schematic licenced under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

Attachments

• Schematic_Compute Module 4 Tokyo_2022-04-22.pdf
    404.2 KB · Views: 73

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, this is what I've got so far (schematic, PCB in progress)
  • Based on RPi CM4 compute module
  • TI PCM5242 DAC (connected via I2S for audio and I2C/SPI for control) and TI TPA1620 headphone amp
  • 4.3" 800x480 display (planned from Waveshare) and an aluminium CNC-milled case (pending final board dimensions)
  • 3.5" headphone jack
  • 2x USB 2, USB-C charge/EEPROM flash with battery charging/UPS while in use.
  • SD card slot
  • micro-HDMI port
  • BT/WiFi (on CM4 module).

Pros:
  • RPi board means much easier and easier support than a full custom SBC
  • TI combo easier to integrate and more easily sourced than the ESS chips
  • Can actually be used as a full desktop computer with networking as well as a portable DAP, plus all the bidirectional USB and BT support of the Pi.
  • LVGL is a near perfect tool for building a touchscreen UI for the player.
  • I'm hoping for 8-12hrs of battery life with sensible power management.
Cons:
  • CM4 potentially overpowered for this application
  • SNR/THD of TI DAC slightly lower than the ESS (~94dB THD at best)
  • Potential inability to use eMMC variants of the CM4 with an SD card (this is an issue with the SDIO pins being disabled, but there is a second SD (storage only) set of pins on the GPIO.
  • Will end up being bulkier than a single board solution once battery taken into account.
  • My crap EE skills and absolute state of the world/chip supply chain mean it may never be built. (Good luck actually getting a CM4...)
Thoughts? (Schematic licenced under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)
Some random thoughts:
  • I would consider dropping the RPi4 CM for a RPi Zero 2, it can be compared to the RPi3 in terms of computing power and has potentially lower power draw.
  • BT is a problem with metal enclosures.
  • Drop the "Can actually be used as a full desktop computer", either you build an appliance or a general purpose computer. Just because i can transport wet cement with my bike doesn't mean i work with it on a construction site.
  • If you stick to the RPi4 CM you will never reach 12h battery life or you need a comically large battery.
  • A dap only needs one USB out/in. I would drop the exposed SD card for internal storage.

Top Bottom