• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D1SE Balanced ES9038PRO

Roland68

Major Contributor

Mr.XO

Does this really have ELNA caps as said in this review?

"C. Treble

I’m not sure what’s making it so different in here compared to the rest of the SMSL flock. Maybe those discrete components are adding some organic textures, maybe that Noratel transformer relaxes the upper octaves, maybe those ELNA caps are adding silky smoothness or maybe all of the above combined made it so easy-going in here.
"

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this really have ELNA caps as said in this review?

"C. Treble

I’m not sure what’s making it so different in here compared to the rest of the SMSL flock. Maybe those discrete components are adding some organic textures, maybe that Noratel transformer relaxes the upper octaves, maybe those ELNA caps are adding silky smoothness or maybe all of the above combined made it so easy-going in here.
"

Or maybe, just maybe, the sonic characteristics he waxes lyrical about are more in his brain than his ears?

Mr.XO

Or maybe, just maybe, the sonic characteristics he waxes lyrical about are more in his brain than his ears?
I think so too.. I get the sense he's got great imagination.. which is coming in the way of honest reviews.

Mr.XO

Just curious.. is the ess dac chip in this in voltage mode or current mode like in the d90se n x18..?

MalinYamato

D1SE at hifi-express
FYI, Hifi-express has switched to YANWEN LOGISTICS which is one of the worst curious services with terrible reveews all over. The store has options to select Europa but that is no longer true, as all packages are sent from China. 22 days have passed since I placed the order and it is stuck with no change in the tracking. Yes, their rationale for switching from the Amazon warehouse in Demark to this is obviously to save costs.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Soundimports.eu has same day shipping within the EU.

Aoshida hifi has 2 in stock shipped from a EU warehouse.

Hifistudio79.nl , Audiophonics has them too.

You might end up paying a bit more but you don't have to bother with shipping, warranty and returns to china.

If you really get it for 600USD delivered to your door it's still a good deal if you are not in desperate need for a DAC.

Veri

Master Contributor
D1SE at hifi-express
FYI, Hifi-express has switched to YANWEN LOGISTICS which is one of the worst curious services with terrible reveews all over. The store has options to select Europa but that is no longer true, as all packages are sent from China. 22 days have passed since I placed the order and it is stuck with no change in the tracking.
I can tell you it will suddenly pop up and be delivered though :) but always good to pay with PayPal to have additional buyer protection against lost packages.

MalinYamato

Soundimports.eu has same day shipping within the EU.

Aoshida hifi has 2 in stock shipped from a EU warehouse.

Hifistudio79.nl , Audiophonics has them too.

You might end up paying a bit more but you don't have to bother with shipping, warranty and returns to china.

If you really get it for 600USD delivered to your door it's still a good deal if you are not in desperate need for a DAC.
I know audiophonics well but they are pricey.... another option is hifigo.com in the US, cheapest besides hifi.express, and that has everything included: tax, custom and shipping.

Veri

Master Contributor
another option is hifigo.com in the US, cheapest besides hifi.express, and that has everything included: tax, custom and shipping.
I heard terrible things about their warranty upholding etc though, would not buy expensive items with them.

MalinYamato

I heard terrible things about their warranty upholding etc though, would not buy expensive items with them.
thank you for the info, very valuable :)

MalinYamato

the stuff finally arrived to the pickup point after being very active in pushing for things to move.

Mr.XO

the stuff finally arrived to the pickup point after being very active in pushing for things to move.
Congrats!

So far I'm enjoying mine, at times on certain tracks I go for the Tube1 sound color. And, to be honest as much as I hate to admit this, it needed some burn-in time, so connected it to a streamer and left it running for couple days before I put it my actual 2ch speaker system.

One issue I have is .. sometimes when I put it to standby using the remote it immediately turns back on!

MalinYamato

Congrats!

So far I'm enjoying mine, at times on certain tracks I go for the Tube1 sound color. And, to be honest as much as I hate to admit this, it needed some burn-in time, so connected it to a streamer and left it running for couple days before I put it my actual 2ch speaker system.

One issue I have is .. sometimes when I put it to standby using the remote it immediately turns back on!
ure avatar sooo funny :) we all here will end up that way.

MalinYamato

celebrated the arrival of the babe with a luxurious cafe latte ...
and, after the addition of the D1SE my setup looks like this --- setup for a lady of style.
the red stripes on the unit really matches the rest,,,, :)
20220427_122942_03_resized.jpg

3024-3024-max (6).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom