• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Announces New and Improved NCOREx Class-D Amplifier Technology

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice.

"The first new module with NCOREx implemented is the NCx500 OEM, and can be used as a drop-in replacement for the existing NC500 OEM module."

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I read THD+N of 0.00017% at our standard 5W and 4 ohms, which translates to SINAD 115, just shy of the best ever measured, the Benchmark AHB2, but the NCx500 does 700W in both 4 and 2 ohms!! (THD+N 1%).

amper42

Major Contributor
If I am reading the release correctly the new NCOREx 500 will drop idle power from 23W to approx. 19W. Closer to the Purifi 16W and provide improved SINAD. There may be less difference between the NCOREx model and the Purifi? Looks promising.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If I have to trust the fellow forum members (and there is no reason not to), I wonder how McIntosh will manage to squander those improvements. :D

amper42

Major Contributor
We need Dylan at Buckeye amps to provide an upgrade path where we buy the new NCOREx 500 modules from him with directions on how to easily drop them into our existing NC502MP stereo model. :D

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Let's not forget that the new hotness in audiophile amps is to pair a Purifi or Ncore module with a poorly-designed tube front-end buffer ...
Mac seems to have archived a degree of excellence that is capable of reducing the SINAD of Hypex without the use of tubes.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There may be less difference between the NCOREx model and the Purifi? Looks promising.
The low noise until 5-10W of NCOREx is better, but Purifi continues with lowering THD+N until the knee shoots up.
Powerwise the NCx500 falls between both Purifi modules, 1ET400A and 1ET7040SA.

We need Dylan at Buckeye amps to provide an upgrade path where we buy the new NCOREx 500 modules from him with directions on how to easily drop them into our existing NC502MP stereo model. :D
The NC500OEM is a module with no power supply and no buffer, so it is not a direct replacement of NC502MP.

But I bet there will be an NCxMP line coming out sometime maybe later this year or next year?

It's just that NC500OEM modules probably slowed sales a lot (because of MP line and Purifi modules) and they needed to refresh it sooner. MP line is selling a lot so no hurries there... Until Purifi comes with an all-in-one module too, then it is war all over. :)

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
If I am reading the release correctly the new NCOREx 500 will drop idle power from 23W to approx. 19W. Closer to the Purifi 16W and provide improved SINAD. There may be less difference between the NCOREx model and the Purifi? Looks promising.
NC500 OEM idle losses are 6.3W. dropping 20% means 5W.
1ET400A idle losses are 1.7W.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
As a reference, the NC500 OEM has a 5W 4 Ohm SINAD of 110.5 dB. So we have an improvement of about 3 to 4 dB.
I am wondering if this improvement is not mainly linked to a more stringent dead time, itself degrading idle losses. Then enters the "differential idle current" to compensate this inconvenient.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
THD+N in 4 ohms.

The original NC500OEM. All 3 frequencies went along together with a mid peak in 20W at 0.001%.

NC500OEM.jpg

The new NCx500OEM. Only 2 frequencies shown, and assuming the better one is 1kHz and the worst one is 6kHz, and assuming 100Hz is the same as 1kHz. It is all gone better, it's just that 1kHz improved more than 6kHz.

NCx500OEM.jpg

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a reference, the NC500 OEM has a 5W 4 Ohm SINAD of 110.5 dB. So we have an improvement of about 3 to 4 dB.
I am wondering if this improvement is not mainly linked to a more stringent dead time, itself degrading idle losses. Then enters the "differential idle current" to compensate this inconvenient.
From what I read, it improved from 0.0005% (SINAD 106) to 0.00017% (SINAD 115), no?
As to how, no idea. :)

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
From what I read, it improved from 0.0005% (SINAD 106) to 0.00017% (SINAD 115), no?
As to how, no idea. :)
I took 0.0002% and 0.0003%. Opti-pessimistic rounding ;).
I was wondering if Hypex would buy some IP from Purifi for their next gen products, doesn't seem so.
Anyhow, using % gives a bit of perspective on SINAD values: at these levels of performance, 9 points SINAD improvement is very difficult to achieve but it is indeed a difference of a few ten-thousandths of percent...

Keened

Forum Donor
I was wondering if Hypex would buy some IP from Purifi for their next gen products, doesn't seem so.
I mean it's kind of sink or swim time for them isn't it? Purifi is rapidly diversifying from not just a SOTA amp module but also SOTA speakers, and developing a SMPS should be fairly trivial for them so...

If they bought IP from Purifi they might be able to poke around and learn some things, but they wouldn't be able to use them (if the 'cleanroom reverse engineering' I read on here earlier was right). And having a few hints here and there isn't as advantageous as understanding the whole thing. So they have to make a go for it on their own, learn what they can along the way, and see if they can understand the whole well enough to beat Purifi (or at least remain competitive).

TimF

Forum Donor
I could be wrong but it seems to me that such power as delivered in this announced product was available only at high cost ten or more years ago, and often if not always the power was not as cleanly delivered. Products offering levels of high and clean power performance were the rarified and expensive boutique corner of home audio products. Assuming these new Hypex amps are reasonably priced (competitive with Purifi), then is this not the golden age? I have lived long enough for the promised land to come to me, albeit, long enough for substantial hearing loss. So be it, and bully for the younger of you.

Top Bottom