• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio-GD NFB-11.38 Performance Edition Measurements (DAC, Preamp & Headamp)

Zensō

Major Contributor
no, like does the actual sound output seem degraded when listened to or not.

In other words, if one listened to it FIRST, would these measurements be "Obvious" as to degrading the sound output., without knowing it measured blah?
In my opinion, adding subjective impressions of this DAC/amp would add nothing to the review. Speakers and headphones are another story though.

tcli

Something has to be going on with the grounding for the USB and coax to be that dirty in comparison to Toslink.
It is not coming from my rig, actually.
I think @KxDx was speaking about an internal grounding problem in the device.

About multitone, @KSTR , in his extremely interesting thread about "ESS hump" analysis, shown that the more the tones is not necessarily the better :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ted-khadas-tone-board-v1-3.30136/post-1063686
In this weird case, high frequency tones were masking the problem ! :facepalm:

In fact, if the multitone goal is to test with a signal that "looks more like music", then high level, high frequency tones are unrealistic and a multitone test with few low-mid frequencies tone is better :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ted-khadas-tone-board-v1-3.30136/post-1077778

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think @KxDx was speaking about an internal grounding problem in the device.

About multitone, @KTSR , in his extremely interesting thread about "ESS hump" analysis, shown that the more the tones is not necessarily the better :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ted-khadas-tone-board-v1-3.30136/post-1063686
In this weird case, high frequency tones were masking the problem ! :facepalm:

In fact, if the multitone goal is to test with a signal that "looks more like music", then high level, high frequency tones are unrealistic and a multitone test with few low-mid frequencies tone is better :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ted-khadas-tone-board-v1-3.30136/post-1077778

Depends on what you're testing for. Multitone test is not designed primarily to simulate music, it is to measure the response and distortions across a specific frequency range in a single measurement. While it's true that as you increase the number of tones, the individual tone levels decrease in amplitude, the result can still be very telling. In any case, Multitone app can create any multitone sequence that you like, you can specify a frequency range and the number of tones to be any reasonable combination. In fact, you can also randomize the individual tone amplitudes, so these even better "resemble music" :) I've yet to see a case where this makes a significant difference in the measurement.

1650457652796.png

Koeitje

Major Contributor
no, like does the actual sound output seem degraded when listened to or not.

In other words, if one listened to it FIRST, would these measurements be "Obvious" as to degrading the sound output., without knowing it measured blah?
These errors are within the theoretical limit of our hearing, so some people might hear them. But not all of them and it's pointless to only base it on what the reviewer can hear. Better just buy something that has errors that are outside of theoretical limit of our hearing or at least closer to it.

Last edited:

Glitch

Wait, it's just a DAC and the USB is already handled by the small board?
What is all that circuitry on the main board for?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir does give subjective impressions [as well as measurements.] Of loudspeakers.
Which many ignore. Your choice do take them into consideration.

Here is a subjective sound description (without actually listening of course;)):

The effortless punch in the deeper notes was only surpassed by it's shininess in the micro-dynamics. Veils where lifted. Soundstages got wider. Then the reviewer had a cup of coffee, which resulted in more drive in voices and snares. Indeed, bass notes appeared to have greater authority only minutes after the bitter drink was consumed.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait, it's just a DAC and the USB is already handled by the small board?
What is all that circuitry on the main board for?
No. USB chip has a dedicated board (green surrounded) on top of the DAC circuit (red).
PXL_20220418_162533392.NIGHT (1)~3.jpg
The ES9038 PRO chip is beneath the aluminium heatsink.

3125b

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review ... with unsurprising results.
Not the worst "graveyard of parts" offender from Audio-GD, but still a lot of components to achieve lackluster performance.

Katji

Major Contributor
Fit and finish of those switches isn’t great—they aren’t completely straight. Metal toggle switches would have at least looked better.
Cheap generic switches, usually on/off power switches.

....I like old-school metal toggle switches over anything else.

KEFCarver

Well done, informative and nice photography! I was not bothered by the insulated wire touching the cap- as long as the unit is not going to be installed in an environment where there is a lot of vibration (motorhome, yacht, private jet :cool:)

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good work!

If they could clean up the coax/USB inputs and dropped the price by $200, this might be worth a look as in many respects it's not bad. But for the price, with those major problems on the inputs most people are most likely to use, this is a hard pass.

fastfreddy666

The problem is that discrete components like capacitors, transistors, resistors etc etc are more susceptible to failure than IC's.
I had an earlier version and as you can see there are a lot of discrete components. It stopped functioning just after a year.
It sounded fine to me but how it measures is anyone's guess.

I'm a sucker for Toroidal Transformers. They are supposedly better for audio.(amplifiers) but I don't think this is true for modern equipment like those from topping (1)

gd11.jpg

The invoice :

invoice_cr.png

The invoice is dated February 4, 2015. I was stupid and believed all the bullshit on their website. I know better now.
I now have a Topping D10s, DX3 Pro+ and for my smartphone a Tempotec Sonata HD PRO (1)
You can do better for US $54 including shipping on Amazon.

I can't recommend buying stuff from Audio-GD. Go for Topping instead or other brands that test well on this site.

(1) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ei-transformers-vs-toroidal-transformers.18586/#:~:text=Toroidal transformer is better at,is also not an option.

(2) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sonata-hd-pro-review-headphone-adapter.22625/

kencreten

Forum Donor
I'm partially colorblind and find this color scheme very confusing. Black/orange/... blue green? not sure.

Top Bottom