• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

YSC

Major Contributor
After further testing, it turns out it was partially an extension issue. Crossing to the sub at 40Hz with 48db BW obtained almost the same effect on the "punch" as crossing it at 80Hz with mild slope.
FYI, this is the low frequencies with and without KC62, post EQ, in my 45m3 room
View attachment 201131
I am actually surprised that the KC 62 did goes flat to 10hz in room! I thought it is severely limited in output down that low, although I myself found the 7040A going down flat to approximately 28hz in room is more than plenty for my taste.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am actually surprised that the KC 62 did goes flat to 10hz in room! I thought it is severely limited in output down that low, although I myself found the 7040A going down flat to approximately 28hz in room is more than plenty for my taste.
It’s digitally equalised for a lot of extension out of the box.

Reactions: YSC

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They're now available also in raw finish
2022_Genelec_RAW_8331_8341.jpg

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After demoing The Ones of different sizes, with and without sub, I've finally received my dream speakers with 8341A + 7350A!
Nice. You could try to put them on top of a pile of books and see if the desk bounce decreases. (Also you can tilt them such that the point a bit more up).

ethanchiu10

Nice. You could try to put them on top of a pile of books and see if the desk bounce decreases. (Also you can tilt them such that the point a bit more up).

This setup is really nice aesthetically, if perhaps not so optimal acoustically.

I actually got them for my (small) living room that is being renovated now. They will go on these stands then :D For now though, they are on my home office desk and are already tilted up as much as possible.

ethanchiu10

How's the sound ;)

Sounds great! When I demoed them with a sub at 2m at around 90db (based on the GLM mic left next to me), they sound exactly the same as the 8351B and the 8361A, and the red light never came on. The only time I saw a red light was with the 8331A with no subs.

YSC

Major Contributor
I actually got them for my (small) living room that is being renovated now. They will go on these stands then :D For now though, they are on my home office desk and are already tilted up as much as possible.
actually I am using similar setup at a much smaller desk space and smaller room, with 8030C and 7040A and they sounded phenominal with REW correction. IMO even the 8030C the acoustic axis isn't directly pointing to my ears with max tilt up isn't a big issue, the wide directivity kind of fixed that

ethanchiu10

actually I am using similar setup at a much smaller desk space and smaller room, with 8030C and 7040A and they sounded phenominal with REW correction. IMO even the 8030C the acoustic axis isn't directly pointing to my ears with max tilt up isn't a big issue, the wide directivity kind of fixed that

I agree. When moving my head around the space up down left right, the sound is very consistent. I believe Genelec built it as such for producers that are moving around their large control panels.

skraboutcha

Hello,

i'm a new member here.
After having read all those discussions about the 8341A, I would like to ask a question.
I have the opportunity of buying either a demo pair of 8341A or a demo pair of 8351A (so it's the "old" version of the model)
both pair have the same price.
I feel a bit lost... what model should I choose between both ? The goal is to use the speakers in a (untreated) living room for music listening.
thank you !

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

i'm a new member here.
After having read all those discussions about the 8341A, I would like to ask a question.
I have the opportunity of buying either a demo pair of 8341A or a demo pair of 8351A (so it's the "old" version of the model)
I feel a bit lost... what model should I choose between both ? The goal is to use the speakers in a (untreated) living room for music listening.
thank you !
8351A ..

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hello,

i'm a new member here.
thank you !
I'd get the 8341A
8351A is out of production and is basically a 8341 in a bigger cabinet but older design overall

Trell

Major Contributor
Hello,

i'm a new member here.
thank you !

Whichever of them you buy you should buy the GLM Kit to make the most out of the speakers. With the GLM Kit you can do room EQ (that you store in the speakers), update the firmware of the monitors, as well as other settings that are handy like setting the time for auto standby.

You don't need to have the GLM Kit connected after you're finished with the setup.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello,

i'm a new member here.
thank you !
I’m of the opinion of always going for the latest tech. My recommendation would be the 8341A. You can add one or two subs later if you think you need it… Also depends on the size of your room and listening position distance to speakers.

And yes, GLM is a must, it is night and day, especially in an untreated room.

Last edited:

skraboutcha

thanks for all the replies. The specs of the 8341A model looks fabulous, but I'll surely not add a sub in the future (because of eh... the waf). So maybe 51A will be more approriate to ensure low freqs and for a listening distance of +/- 3m. I've read old reviews of the 51A and all of them were praising. I guess until the model B was released.

Tangband

Major Contributor
thanks for all the replies. The specs of the 8341A model looks fabulous, but I'll surely not add a sub in the future (because of eh... the waf). So maybe 51A will be more approriate to ensure low freqs and for a listening distance of +/- 3m. I've read old reviews of the 51A and all of them were praising. I guess until the model B was released.
Remember that there seems to be a sound quality gain with GLM 4.2.0 . If I were you, I would check that the original 8351A can have that update.

But I can understand your dilemma - a 8351A goes deeper and can play louder than the newer 8341. So- if subs ( you need two ) are out of the question then a 8351A is not bad :)

Top Bottom