• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a big city, so it's not an easy task, but I know for a fact you can find Bibich wines and Korta Katarina wines in New York. The latter being owned by Americans at that. Those are from my parts. Korta's Zin got some bronze medals in the USA wine ratings. I worked with them a lot and can recommend them if you're interested.
Right on, thanks for the recommendations. Looks like a merchant I've bought from in the past has a couple of the Bibich bottlings, so I will give them a try!

killdozzer

Major Contributor
What a
Right on, thanks for the recommendations. Looks like a merchant I've bought from in the past has a couple of the Bibich bottlings, so I will give them a try!
What are your thoughts on Washington wine? I hear much praise lately. I'd love to have a taste, but it's so far away from me.

Trouble Maker

Pet Nat is new to me, a friend brought this for dinner over the weekend. Some of the flavors reminded me of Dogfish Head 61, would love to taste the two back to back.

1650297382361.png

I couldn't find too much talk about Pet Nats in this thread. Any other recommendations to explore this genre?

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Pet Nat is new to me, a friend brought this for dinner over the weekend. Some of the flavors reminded me of Dogfish Head 61, would love to taste the two back to back.

View attachment 200735

I couldn't find too much talk about Pet Nats in this thread. Any other recommendations to explore this genre?
And from Austria, no less.

Give people here some credit. Ask what you're interested in. Maybe someone will know.

DWI

I realize that I am a total newbie here doing such an awkward thing as giving a link to the Swedish government-run Systembolaget that you all probably hate as you look elsewhere around the world for the best possible whine while I just, not knowing better, simply go to the Systembolaget getting a wine you probably would not consider or pay a huge premium for -- LOL. Today I will go there again to get a Côtes du Rhônein but masqueraded in secret, so no one will get to know I have been there.

a problem, after I drink any of the Côtes du Rhôneins, I feel bad the other day but not when I drink Rioja.

Riojas I like ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Côtes du Rhônein I like
View attachment 187404View attachment 187405 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, View attachment 187406View attachment 187407
Riscal had a fabulous hotel, their old cellars going back to 1855 and an ultra modern bottling plant and modern cellar with about 8million bottles. The wine is very good.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor

View attachment 200735

In my opinion, the best Pet Nat is from Les Capriades in the Loire valley. Another staple for us is Moussamoussettes from Mosse, also Loire. These tend to be cleaner/more refined, not defined by “funk”, and still very fresh and easy to drink.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
What a

What are your thoughts on Washington wine? I hear much praise lately. I'd love to have a taste, but it's so far away from me.

Can't say I know much / anything about Washington state wines. Since leaving the west coast I've also left west coast wines and become a bit of an old world snob, truth be told... Likely some good things happening there, however.

*Edit - I should add that a sommelier friend brought a Washington state pinot and blind tasted a small group of us on it not too long ago. It had more age than one typically sees for WA pinot and it stumped everyone!

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Can't say I know much / anything about Washington state wines. Since leaving the west coast I've also left west coast wines and become a bit of an old world snob, truth be told... Likely some good things happening there, however.

*Edit - I should add that a sommelier friend brought a Washington state pinot and blind tasted a small group of us on it not too long ago. It had more age than one typically sees for WA pinot and it stumped everyone!
I hear ya. I'm even worse. Not only Old World, but old styles as well. If you don't know how to imbue a tiny amount of diacetyl in your chardonnay, perhaps go do something else. :D

Anyway, Global Riesling Masters raved about the Kung Fu Girl. I guess you won't have any problem finding it. It's a Washington Riesling.
1650352914508.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I hear ya. I'm even worse. Not only Old World, but old styles as well. If you don't know how to imbue a tiny amount of diacetyl in your chardonnay, perhaps go do something else. :D
One of the reasons I love Chablis over all other Burgundies is the general lack of diacetyl. Same with the excellent local Chardonnays. The butter thing annoys me and gets in the way of terroir.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
One of the reasons I love Chablis over all other Burgundies is the general lack of diacetyl. Same with the excellent local Chardonnays. The butter thing annoys me and gets in the way of terroir.
Look for Arnot-Roberts Trout Gulch Chardonnay, at least 4 years post-vintage. I think it'd be right up your alley.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Look for Arnot-Roberts Trout Gulch Chardonnay, at least 4 years post-vintage. I think it'd be right up your alley.
Merci! I will do so.

We’ve been enjoying the hell out of one of the Dr Frank chards, which is barrel fermented and raised, but oddly had no malo. Ditto the non-oaked Weis Vineyards.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
One of the Arnot-Roberts Chards tends to have the strong yoghurt/sour cream character which bugs me, and I always forget if it’s Trout Gulch or Watson Ranch.

I’m a fan anyway.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought some Catena Malbec 2019 vintage, quite cheap to be in Sweden ($15). Saving up for the summer "churrasco".

Attachments

• IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 41
OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
A decent value, this one. Personally a little less dosage is more my taste these days, but BdB always goes over well.

20220423_214422.jpg

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Just back from a business trip where I held lecture on some specifics of hot region roses.
Radionica Kruno Filipović1.jpg

It was very interesting. In warm climate, you have very few varieties light enough to create usual rose wine. Most of them are very strong and complex. Many of these are zero maceration, but check the colour. Very high gastronomic value. They are complex, herbal, mineral, intense. You can pair dozens of dishes with these.

I have a feeling we're about to see a big step towards complex rose wines in upcoming years. People are getting tired of those simple "strawberry+raspberry+floral" styles.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Oh, back on topic.

I found some Colombard at my local shop which is a rarity in my country. It has some, almost sandy quality to its minerality. I was very surprised to see these are not aged all that often. The structure is good and this minerality could really contribute.
1650902202749.png

This is a market wine, but as I said, if you want to taste Colombard, that's pretty much it.

Ken1951

Just back from a business trip where I held lecture on some specifics of hot region roses.
View attachment 202272

It was very interesting. In warm climate, you have very few varieties light enough to create usual rose wine. Most of them are very strong and complex. Many of these are zero maceration, but check the colour. Very high gastronomic value. They are complex, herbal, mineral, intense. You can pair dozens of dishes with these.

I have a feeling we're about to see a big step towards complex rose wines in upcoming years. People are getting tired of those simple "strawberry+raspberry+floral" styles.
My wife and I love rose wines, almost exclusively French. We eat salads and grilled fish very often and from now until sometime in the Fall we have a rose with it more often than not. Also when our tomatoes come in we have a great recipe for quiche with goat cheese topped with cherry tomatoes. Recommendations always welcome!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Most rosé we drink (other than local) is Jura or Loire. But there is an amazing little rosé from California, of all places, that has the crisp minerality that I love: Edmunds St John Bone Jolly, made from cool climate Gamay.

And with summer coming, we're stocking up on Renardat-Fache and Bottex Bugey Cerdons...

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Edmunds St. John is hardly the stereotypical California winery! Good taste you have... (why am I writing like Yoda?)

Top Bottom