• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

more powerful version of MiniDSPs miniDC isolator ?

mamba76

Can anyone reccommend a DC isolator similar to MiniDSPs 3watt miniDC isolator ?
It does the job but I could do with 10 watt. I bought a dedicated PSU once that I thought I could use in my car to power the tablet, DSPs and USB peripheral etc from one 'clean' line but the opposite happened. It was a horrible experience so I binned it. Is there a holy grail PSU you can use for in car supply, I would be comparing it to the miniDC as I know these work.
The USB hub I use is capable of 10 watt but it doesn't like the noisy car supply.

OP
M

mamba76

I think thats where I got my 'wonder' PSU, the one with perforated silver case, like art.205 etc, use to use them at work but the noise that came out of it was like a pig being slaughtered, I tried adjusting its adjustments but crap. I will not believe a product anymore unless its been reviewed by a proffesional. The miniDC works. I don't know why but it does.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is from the miniDC product page.

miniDC.png

Here is from the CUI DC-DC converter datasheet. The miniDC has time delay and REM out, whereas the CUI does not, otherwise their functionalities look very similar to me. If you can't trust manufacturers' datasheets, then you will have test them yourself.
cui.png

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it should work. You may want to add a couple of capacitors (10 μF electrolytic + 0.1 μF ceramic) at the output to help smooth out the ripples.

ripples.png

cout.png

OP
M

mamba76

Ok, does the first ones you suggested need these caps?
Actually 10 watt is fine, this will be supplying just the front end equipment which is all attached and powered from a lavaSync 10watt hub.
Ill use the miniDCs right next to the DSPs and Iv litterally just gone optical for the signal connections from front to back.

EMF really is one of the biggest problems in car audio the other being the fact that cars are the most hostile place for sound waves!

Cheers

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. The caps are recommended. They are required to meet the output ripple spec. Below are the recommendations in the CUI datasheet. If the source DC isn't clean, you should also install the input capacitor too.

If you are ordering from Digikey, you can order the caps along with the DC-DC converter. They are cheap.

cui_app_notes.png

OP
M

mamba76

Thats good to know thanks. Probably a silly question but why are they not built into the device?

OP
M

mamba76

Got it.
Im re approaching and improving all the electronics and supplys in my car so no doubt Ill be back lol.

Reactions: NTK
Top Bottom