• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Wow, you really should consider giving Bordeaux a taste. It's long been my favorite region, despite how unfashionable it's become. A top notch Bdx with proper age is really hard to beat, be it left bank or right.

If you find yourself in Manhattan let me know - there's still plenty aging gracefully in my cellaring units. Unfortunately, very little replenishment is happening at today's prices...
Do you have a shortlist for the value-ish end? Lately I've loved Pavillon de Taillefer, le Puy of course, and this Moulin de Tricot.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, you really should consider giving Bordeaux a taste. It's long been my favorite region, despite how unfashionable it's become. A top notch Bdx with proper age is really hard to beat, be it left bank or right.
I'm about ready for a trip to the liquor store so I'll keep my peepers open for a Bordeaux. :D Give the legendary nectar a try.

If you find yourself in Manhattan let me know - there's still plenty aging gracefully in my cellaring units. Unfortunately, very little replenishment is happening at today's prices...
Wowow. Thanks muchO for the invite. :D I don't think I'll be making my way to Manhattan but one never knows. :D

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My fav value is an Uruguayan Tannat, but you have to enjoy strong tannins and very dark fruit. Oh, and they are not easy to find... :)

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you have a shortlist for the value-ish end? Lately I've loved Pavillon de Taillefer, le Puy of course, and this Moulin de Tricot.
Unfortunately value can't be found among the 1855 classified growths on the left bank or the premiers grands crus of the right bank, obviously.

But the cru bourgeois of the left bank and the grands crus of the right can be sources of value. At least, they used to be. I'll paste a couple links below.

The nearby region of Bergerac is considerably less overpriced and grows some pretty decent cabernet so that may be of interest. Can't say I know it well at all though.

Personally, I've had the best success at sourcing 'value' among the classified growths from private cellar acquisitions that a couple of my most trusted merchants occasionally come through with. Then it's a function of being one of their early email recipients - and acting fast when the email hits!

Hmm, can't seem to get the links to paste in properly. Quick google work will get you there though.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
20220415_194954.jpg

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
You got a good thing going. Where?
That was at an outstanding restaurant in DC called Fiola. The wine list ain't cheap but it is excellent. Since most of this getaway is being covered by previously accumulated points / miles we decided to blow it out on some righteous wine!

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
That was at an outstanding restaurant in DC called Fiola. The wine list ain't cheap but it is excellent. Since most of this getaway is being covered by previously accumulated points / miles we decided to blow it out on some righteous wine!
The ArPePe post warmed my heart. That’s one of my father’s favorite producers but between him and me it’s turned into a joke. You know how whenever someone opens a bottle of G. Canonica, the proponent instantly tells you the bottle isn’t representative but the one yesterday/last week/last month was heavenly? Well that’s been my experience with ArPePe… every time he’s opened one for me, it’s what he calls an “off” bottle that doesn’t show quite correct. Waiting for that heavenly bottle!

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
The ArPePe post warmed my heart. That’s one of my father’s favorite producers but between him and me it’s turned into a joke. You know how whenever someone opens a bottle of G. Canonica, the proponent instantly tells you the bottle isn’t representative but the one yesterday/last week/last month was heavenly? Well that’s been my experience with ArPePe… every time he’s opened one for me, it’s what he calls an “off” bottle that doesn’t show quite correct. Waiting for that heavenly bottle!
Ha. That just sounds like life as a Nebbiolo tragic. Chasing the dragon and all.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I can't believe I missed this thread. It's right down my alley.

Some nice recommendations too. @GD Fan you're in New York?

F

freemansteve

Literally as I write, I'm drinking Yellow Tail Shiraz, with 25% off 6, yesterday at Tesco with a Clubcard, so £4.80 per bottle. Which means one-per-person is fundable almost indefinitely, for the crazy rich UK elites like me. When we party illegally, we just say "sorry" and it's no big deal!

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Love Dard et Ribo! Looks like heaven on earth.
This spot (Le Repaire de Cartouche) is the place for Dard & Ribo. It’s most of the list, with vintages going back to 2001. I guess they’re close. I asked about the 2004 and 2007 Hermitage Blancs, but that got shut down for this special S-J bottling from ‘17 at half the price. It was great.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This spot (Le Repaire de Cartouche) is the place for Dard & Ribo. It’s most of the list, with vintages going back to 2001. I guess they’re close. I asked about the 2004 and 2007 Hermitage Blancs, but that got shut down for this special S-J bottling from ‘17 at half the price. It was great.
2001 is a remarkably underrated vintage for Northern Rhone.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
I can't believe I missed this thread. It's right down my alley.

Some nice recommendations too. @GD Fan you're in New York?
Yes, in Manhattan. I (begrudgingly) acknowledge it as probably the best city for wine in the US but I'm still hoping to be proven wrong.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Ha. That just sounds like life as a Nebbiolo tragic. Chasing the dragon and all.
So true! He has shown me the greats—Cappellano, Giacosa, Gaja, B. Mascarello, G. Conterno, etc. so the ribbing is in the context of deep gratitude….

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Yes, in Manhattan. I (begrudgingly) acknowledge it as probably the best city for wine in the US but I'm still hoping to be proven wrong.
It's a big city, so it's not an easy task, but I know for a fact you can find Bibich wines and Korta Katarina wines in New York. The latter being owned by Americans at that. Those are from my parts. Korta's Zin got some bronze medals in the USA wine ratings. I worked with them a lot and can recommend them if you're interested.

Top Bottom