• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 230 48.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does what a streamer should do perfectly
-300dB must be the level for those "hearing" their dust mites farting :D
-300dB would be more like hearing whats happening in oort cloud

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
However, Amazon Music only supports Alexa Cast which I suspect is still only lossy SD. Hopefully the imminent app update will help confirm this.

If the WiiM app follows other third party implementations of Amazon Music, they’ll be able to support lossless bit perfect 16 and 24 playback over SPDIF in the near future - if their claim to support these hires tracks when casting, they’ll be the first to do that in my experience.
Screenshot 2022-04-16 6.57.52 AM.png

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
you do if you want to stream bluetooth to your DAC.
also mine that has a transmitter can be used to stream bluetooth from DAC to a bluetooth speaker

Right. I just don't know a use case for streaming Bluetooth to my DAC. I have two DACs with Bluetooth I've never used.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Yeah, aware of that from the other main WiiM thread and other forums, and direct contact with WiiM themselves.

However, still a little sceptical of their claim for HD/UHD support (when implemented) when casting - as I say, they’ll the the first to do that if they pull it off.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were OEM to Amazon on some devices. Their website confirms that they are OEM to a lot of familiar names. https://www.linkplay.com/

mateolo2

There are only advantages to using the Spotify app. The WiiM app is extremely weak in queue and playlist management. You don't want to use it if you don't have to.
Ok but there is now answer still to my question. Amirm said "transparent output via Toslink when using native wiim app" - so again. I open Spotify app click on Spotify connect, select wiim - music playing. Is it transparent or transparent is only, when manually open wiim app and play hard drive files or radio? Because when I click Spotify in wiim mini app it doesn't showing my playlists etc. Its showing only one message - use Spotify app as remote for wiim mini. Its not clear at all

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Right. I just don't know a use case for streaming Bluetooth to my DAC. I have two DACs with Bluetooth I've never used.

well, it turns any system into a "bluetooth speaker". and there sure are usecases for a bluetooth speaker. personaly I use mine when I take my pa speakers down to the yard when we have a party with our neighbours. I don't need to bring a laptop, any phone can become the "DJ"

PeteL

Major Contributor
I use that all the time, the use cases are legion. Most used for me is if I am having guest over that want to put music from their phone. Just to clarify, is this audio trough Bluetooth at large that you find useless, or just the fact that a high performance DAC would accept Bluetooth. Do you use Bluetooth at all? I think it's totally OK to not use it, but in 2022 not "knowing" a use case comes across as odd. Bluetooth audio may be the most widespread general way of transmitting audio today. Just not sure if I understood your statement correctly, or if you have been living under a rock, or you mis-expressed yourself.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Ok but there is now answer still to my question. Amirm said "transparent output via Toslink when using native wiim app" - so again. I open Spotify app click on Spotify connect, select wiim - music playing. Is it transparent or transparent is only, when manually open wiim app and play hard drive files or radio? Because when I click Spotify in wiim mini app it doesn't showing my playlists etc. Its showing only one message - use Spotify app as remote for wiim mini. Its not clear at all
Spotify uses lossy compression. The transport here, via Spotify Connect, is no doubt 16-bit, until Spotify (if ever) supports 24-bit streaming.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The lack of recommendation, and the delay to test was likely because they didn’t pay Amir for the review.
You do realize that unlike other ”reviewers”, this site does not do any paid reviews. No advertising, etc... You are new here so maybe you were unaware of how the site works... people send things in, Amir reviews them, publishes his measurements.

drmevo

Thanks for the review! Just ordered one. I was waiting for this to confirm the optical output is good. I think that’s mostly what a lot of us care about. I don’t really care about the built-in DAC or lack of Roon support, and I also don’t care that it’s not personally recommended. @amirm uses Roon so that’s why he “personally” doesn’t recommend it, I take it. I’ll be using it mostly to get away from my old AppleTV I use for AirPlay, as it gets interrupted by just about anything else I do on my phone. I might also dip my toes on Amazon HD. For the current price, it’s not much of a gamble and could always be used in a secondary system somewhere else in the house.

mateolo2

Spotify uses lossy compression. The transport here, via Spotify Connect, is no doubt 16-bit, until Spotify (if ever) supports 24-bit streaming.
I know that, im talking about measurements in review and how wiim mini behave.

mateolo2

Thanks for the review! Just ordered one. I was waiting for this to confirm the optical output is good. I think that’s mostly what a lot of us care about. I don’t really care about the built-in DAC or lack of Roon support, and I also don’t care that it’s not personally recommended. @amirm uses Roon so that’s why he “personally” doesn’t recommend it, I take it. I’ll be using it mostly to get away from my old AppleTV I use for AirPlay, as it gets interrupted by just about anything else I do on my phone. I might also dip my toes on Amazon HD. For the current price, it’s not much of a gamble and could always be used in a secondary system somewhere else in the house.
Same situation here! Apple TV 3 - airplay to Dac for last years. Now wiim mini to Dac :) How it sounds to you vs Apple TV with airplay?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I know that, im talking about measurements in review and how wiim mini behave.
??? WiiM is most likely using the open source librespot on their device. It will connect directly to the optical output via ALSA or similar. It will be as transparent as possible.

PeteL

Major Contributor
How do you know manufacturers don’t pay Amir? You have no idea of the deals made behind the scenes. This is a for-profit LLC. Amir has every right to make a profit. As he makes the businesses he has deals with, tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars from his reviews. That’s the advertising. The reviews themselves! He does not need pop up ads.
He can profit from donations, we know because these assumptions have been raised before. This site is independant from the manufacturers. You joined today, just to make an accusation like that. Please. By the way it's not legal to pay the press for good review, some people tend to think this industry is Mafia controlled with brown enveloppes being slipped trough or bitcoins transfers. You guys watch to many movies. Yes some publications will tend to be favorable to customers who buys advertisement in their pages or site. I get that, most reviews from other sites are biased by that. Yes it's difficult for a "reporter" to completely trash a manufacturer that just said "You can keep it" to the 500$ piece of equipment he send for review, I get that too, bias is everywhere but pushing that to be paid, receiving money, to lie about a product that you think is poor. It doen't work like that. For a reviewer to ask money to put a good review on a product, that's not how it is, if not are all honest, all would still be careful because once it's known, and to profit from that it has to be known, this reviewer's carreer is over. There is a different between bending the truth to not hurt a great source of advertising money, than receiving a check to falsify measurments... Please.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Yes. @amirm's conclusion here is completely off base for the vast majority of users. The Roon community is TINY compared to Spotify users; hell, even compared to Tidal users, lol. My subjective conclusion: BUY IT!

RichT

Hi all, this is a great device for <$100. I needed a streamer and really wanted something better than a raspberry pi. Not sure this is it but it looks great using the toslink. Regards

Top Bottom