• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG 371 Equivalent of Open Backed Headphones?

luft262

The AKG 371 closed backed headphones measure incredibly well, especially for the price. They mirror the Harmon Curve and have low distortion. What is the best example of some open backed headphones like that? The HiFiMan Sundaras come to mind. Are there other or better examples of inexpensive and open backed headphones? I'm asking, because I want to make sure there isn't something out there I've missed. If the AKG 371 is the close-backed budget king, is there an open-backed budget queen? I'm not sure where the cutoff for "budget" would be, but I would think $500 would be the absolute maximum cost for such a designation, IMHO.

Thanks.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The AKG 371 closed backed headphones measure incredibly well, especially for the price. They mirror the Harmon Curve and have low distortion. What is the best example of some open backed headphones like that? The HiFiMan Sundaras come to mind. Are there other or better examples of inexpensive and open backed headphones? I'm asking, because I want to make sure there isn't something out there I've missed. If the AKG 371 is the close-backed budget king, is there an open-backed budget queen? I'm not sure where the cutoff for "budget" would be, but I would think $500 would be the absolute maximum cost for such a designation, IMHO.

Thanks.
I'm guessing you mean with stock response, not after EQ? The bass response let's many of the open back 'phones down.

But take a look at the sennheiser HD560S. Or some of the Hifiman 400 range. Neither have the Harman bass extension though.

staticV3

Master Contributor
HD560S:
Screenshot 2022-04-14 at 18.00.18.png

OP
luft262

luft262

I'm guessing you mean with stock response, not after EQ? The bass response let's many of the open back 'phones down.

But take a look at the sennheiser HD560S. Or some of the Hifiman 400 range. Neither have the Harman bass extension though.
I always EQ my headphones, since it's so easy, but it would still be nice to know what model(s) can get as close to Harmon with as least distortion as possible for the lowest cost. I personally prefer open-backed headphones and that's why I was interested. Thanks for the input!

Top Bottom