• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Martinvb

That's exactly what I'm doing. Follow this link for details.

I also use this setup with an active sub, but without a low-pass filter. This only works for the balanced input (IN-1) on the PA5. If you also need the IN-2 input, you cannot use this with a sub.

wjp007

Can you use the balanced connection to connect a Topping PA5 and the RCA unbalanced to a subwoofer ?

If not, is there a work-around to plug a subwoofer ?

Thank you
I have this exact setup. My sub only had one RCA input, so I created a Y cable by putting a series 10K resistor in line with the left and right RCA outputs of the E50 and then soldering the resistors together to connect to the center pin of the sub cable. Works great. Didn't want to just short the left and right channels.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let's not derail this thread into yet another anti-MQA rant. If you don't like MQA then don't listen to it.

Sorry, but this goes well beyond of simple... "if you don't like it, don't listen".

mqa IS SCAM and EVIL. Why? Because is DESTROYING music. They are marketing as lossless saying "master" quality, and other jargons. Don't be fooled by them:

Don't bother quoting me, I will not answer anything related to that mqa-crap anymore.

Boycott mqa forever!

Reactions: RHO

RHO

Major Contributor
Let's not derail this thread into yet another anti-MQA rant. If you don't like MQA then don't listen to it.
Even if you don't listen to it, you have to pay extra for it. And it is a fraude. It doesn't do what is claimed.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
About the power supply, be aware to the power supply. E50 want 5v, it has not accept 4,9 or 5,1 volts.
This is not good. If E50 just had a 5 V DC input, it could be strict with the voltage, but it has a USB power adapter, so it should accept standard USB voltages (4.75-5.5 V).

Eldus

I just reveived my E50 from HifiGo today. Such clarity and separation. It sounds like pure audio. A catalyst for the music. Loving it paired with my PA5. Kinda wish I also picked up the L50 with the sale. Oh well. Working peachy with a 10+ years old Ipad charger brick I had kicking around.

dsnyder0cnn

I just reveived my E50 from HifiGo today. Such clarity and separation. It sounds like pure audio. A catalyst for the music. Loving it paired with my PA5. Kinda wish I also picked up the L50 with the sale. Oh well. Working peachy with a 10+ years old Ipad charger brick I had kicking around.
I see an L50 in your future. It's a sweet headphone amp.

Gradius

This is not good. If E50 just had a 5 V DC input, it could be strict with the voltage, but it has a USB power adapter, so it should accept standard USB voltages (4.75-5.5 V).

Nah, there's a power regulator inside. It can accept ±10% w/o any problem.

Cote Dazur

Such clarity and separation. It sounds like pure audio. A catalyst for the music
Very subjective comment but still, what did you have for DAC before to have such a “massive” improvement, particularly from a DAC?

artsky

My E50 has just arrived and I'm still exploring the functions. The combination of orange and white display looks good to my eyes. Initial testing indicates that this sounds better than my D10s.

Gradius

My E50 has just arrived and I'm still exploring the functions. The combination of orange and white display looks good to my eyes. Initial testing indicates that this sounds better than my D10s.
Well, with all due respect... this is pretty much impossible to know.

Reasons:

As you can see is 118dB vs 120dB (THD), and for noise 121dB vs 122dB.

dsnyder0cnn

Well, with all due respect... this is pretty much impossible to know.

Reasons:

As you can see is 118dB vs 120dB (THD), and for noise 121dB vs 122dB.
To be fair, @artsky is comparing the D10s and E50.

So, 112 dB vs 120 dB SINAD and 116 dB vs 122 dB for noise. Differences will not be easy to hear, but come on…the E50 is so much more beautiful than the D10s, which looks more like a DIY project. :p

The improved cosmetics will come into play during any sighted subjective experience of each product, and there's nothing wrong with that in my view…especially if the effect is lasting. Most of us are here because we want independently verified performance; however, at the end of the day, music playback is about pleasure.

Eldus

Very subjective comment but still, what did you have for DAC before to have such a “massive” improvement, particularly from a DAC?
D30 into PA5 with RCA to TRS adapters. Going fully balanced with the amp likely made a large improvement.

Bow_Wazoo

I would like to connect my Topping e50 to the Pathos aurium via balanced output, what volume do you think I should select on the e50...?

dsnyder0cnn

I would like to connect my Topping e50 to the Pathos aurium via balanced output, what volume do you think I should select on the e50...?
I would put the E50 into DAC mode (no attenuation) and use your headphone amp to manage levels. I guess you might need to attenuate in the DAC if Pathos can't handle 4V or there are significant channel matching issues in the Pathos at greater attenuation settings.

Would this be a better choice for hd800s to pair with A50s (already have both of these)? What’s the reason to get it over D50s in this case?

Or should I get D50s?

dsnyder0cnn

Would this be a better choice for hd800s to pair with A50s (already have both of these)? What’s the reason to get it over D50s in this case?

Or should I get D50s?
If I had the A50s already, I'd probably buy the D50s to pair with it…unless I was planning to go a different direction on the headphone amp later. The D50s has Bluetooth; the E50 does not. But the E50 has MQA. Buy based on features you care about. Overall, the D50s is a nice cosmetic match to the A50s if you're building a stack.

If I had the A50s already, I'd probably buy the D50s to pair with it…unless I was planning to go a different direction on the headphone amp later. The D50s has Bluetooth; the E50 does not. But the E50 has MQA. Buy based on features you care about. Overall, the D50s is a nice cosmetic match to the A50s if you're building a stack.
So I actually swapped A50s for a90 and now am choosing between E50 and d30Pro. I am not sure why would I want d30Pro at all?

Top Bottom