• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MT-602 and bookshelf speakers

ZoroBK

Hello, how are you doing?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have found some conflicting information online and I would like some thoughts on what I am trying to do.

Currently i have a Topping e30 DAC + MT602 tube amplifier.
I use this set up to power up my HD650, and I truly love it. However, i would like to get some passive bookshelf speakers so i can listen to music without headphones on.

MT602 has an aux out. Can I plug in passive bookshelf speakers on this aux out? I have read multiple different things on this issue. First, I heard that this aux out is "Pre-amp" only. Is this enough for a good listening experience?

What is a common set up for passive bookshelf speakers? Can my MT602 power passive bookshelf speakers?

Also, are there any sub US$ 200 dollars passive book shelf speakers that provide a good listening experience?
I listen to a variety of styles. Currently using Apple Music lossless.

Thank you for your help, sorry about my confusion.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, how are you doing?
Cheers, fine, hope you do too. And welcome :cool:
MT602 has an aux out. Can I plug in passive bookshelf speakers on this aux out?
Nope, you either hook up an active speaker (it has a apower amplifier built in) or a power amplifier and that then plays into passive speakers.

I have read multiple different things on this issue. First, I heard that this aux out is "Pre-amp" only. Is this enough for a good listening experience?
Not by itself. The pre-amp part means the volume is attenuated as to not drive the power amplifier (or active speaker) at full tilt all the time.
In contrast to line-level output, which is not attenuated and can not used for a power amplifier (unless it has a volume knob) or active speakers (unless a volume knob is there).

What is a common set up for passive bookshelf speakers? Can my MT602 power passive bookshelf speakers?
No, it can not. You could buy a power amplifiers between 80€ to 100k€, lots of choice.

The Aiyima A07 would be a good fit, it's cheap, but of course doesn't have that much power. Probably good if your room is not large and the speakers have good sensitivity (larger than 86dB/m). You can get away with speakers with low sensitivity (lower than 86dB/m) if you listen at low volumes.

If you want better power handling, try to get a used Yamaha R-S700 for 200€ or so, you can ignore all of it's features and hook up your pre-amp to it's main-in, it then becomes a powerfull and cheap power amplifier.

Also, are there any sub US$ 200 dollars passive book shelf speakers that provide a good listening experience?
I leave this to other people, as i have no experience in that area. I know that you can get a pair of Focal Chorus 706 around here for maybe 200€ used, they probably beat everything you can get new for that money.

Buying used is where it's at :cool:

Thank you for your help, sorry about my confusion.
No worries, mate.

OP
Z

ZoroBK

Cheers, fine, hope you do too. And welcome :cool:

Nope, you either hook up an active speaker (it has a apower amplifier built in) or a power amplifier and that then plays into passive speakers.

Not by itself. The pre-amp part means the volume is attenuated as to not drive the power amplifier (or active speaker) at full tilt all the time.
In contrast to line-level output, which is not attenuated and can not used for a power amplifier (unless it has a volume knob) or active speakers (unless a volume knob is there).

No, it can not. You could buy a power amplifiers between 80€ to 100k€, lots of choice.

The Aiyima A07 would be a good fit, it's cheap, but of course doesn't have that much power. Probably good if your room is not large and the speakers have good sensitivity (larger than 86dB/m). You can get away with speakers with low sensitivity (lower than 86dB/m) if you listen at low volumes.

If you want better power handling, try to get a used Yamaha R-S700 for 200€ or so, you can ignore all of it's features and hook up your pre-amp to it's main-in, it then becomes a powerfull and cheap power amplifier.

I leave this to other people, as i have no experience in that area. I know that you can get a pair of Focal Chorus 706 around here for maybe 200€ used, they probably beat everything you can get new for that money.

Buying used is where it's at :cool:

No worries, mate.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

I also have a Fosi T20 amplifier, and per their website description, I can plug in passive speakers.
Do you know if this would provide a decent lossless audio listening experience?

Thank you!

TimW

Major Contributor
Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

I also have a Fosi T20 amplifier, and per their website description, I can plug in passive speakers.

Thank you!
Yes the Fosi has speaker outputs and a built in power amplifier (TPA3116 chip) so it can power passive speakers. It's not a very powerful amplifier and probably doesn't measure excellently but it will work. Not sure what you mean by lossless.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This would do to get sound.

I think not, tube amps/preamps introduce heavy distortion.
Some people like it, some people don't.
If you want accuracy, which is what i'm after, tube amps are a nogo.

But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy them or groove to the music using them. :cool:

TimW

Major Contributor
For decent passive speakers that can be found for around $200, I would look at:
Emotiva Airmotiv B1+
JBL Stage A130
JBL Studio 530
Polk ES15
Polk XT15

OP
Z

ZoroBK

I have purchased a JBL Stage A130, as they were exactly in my price range.
I will connect it to my T20 and see if it gets loud enough.
I will update you guys on my findings.

Thank you for your support!

Top Bottom