• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio Monitors - Dynaudio Core 47 vs Neumann KH310

MixMaster

My control room measures approximately 12' W x 14' D and I am looking for a new pair of Studio Monitors. For the last week my focus of a dozen models has narrowed down to the Dynaudio Core 47 or the Neumann KH310. I should mention that for the time being my desk is not center justified but rather closer to my left wall than the right. I say that because of the enhanced bass buildup on the left side. I am using Auralex Absorption as well as Bass Traps and Diffusors. I use Sonarworks Reference ID to calibrate my Adam Audio monitors and my Genelec's use their GLM to calibrate. I use Coleman Audio monitor management as well.

Having said that the new monitors I will be purchasing will become my main monitors. I have found that the Adam monitors I have don't have enough headroom. I have seen a couple of reviews of the Core 47 and KH310's but those aren't the most recent. If anyone can tell me about these I'd appreciate it. If the Neumann KH310's win this shootout does anyone know if they can handle 85dB at the mix position with enough headroom? Do either of these model have audible hiss?

Best,

Rick

3125b

Major Contributor

dfuller

Major Contributor
KH310 absolutely wrecks the Core 47s. They will do 85dB all day, though they do benefit from adding a subwoofer (I use a Rythmik F12 with mine).

audio2920

Yeah 310 would probably be my choice too.

But, when I put the measurements for both side by side and ignore the comments, I'm not so sure I see such a total "chalk and cheese" wiping of the floor. 310 very clearly has more controlled dispersion, but for example, where the 47 has more high Q notches and things going on in on-axis FR (which, OK, is not a great sign) the 310 looks like it has a general bass deficit or HF lift.

So I wouldn't disagree, 310 probably is better. And I have used 310s myself before. But I might not be quite so quick to dismiss the 47 completely without hearing it?

(It does bug me that the 47 feels like an afterthought in the Core range though, with the amp module in the wrong orientation etc. At this price point that is pretty poor.)

OP
M

MixMaster

Both have been reviewed by Amir.
Dynaudio: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...io-core-47-review-professional-monitor.25113/
Neumann: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...neumann-kh-310a-review-powered-monitor.17723/

It's not even close, the Neumann are twice the speaker the Dynaudios are.
This is extremely helpful...thanks! May I ask, do you have personal experience using either of these in a mix environment or via testing? The articles are well written; I understand most of what is written. I am trying to focus on the best monitors for my room environment. Because my mixing desk is closer to the left wall than I like (~2' away) I want to reduce any low-end build-up on that side. Everything I've read indicates that the KH310's have a tight low end. My speakers have been calibrated to a reference of 85dB and headroom is key for me. If you can add anything that would be great. Otherwise those articles are fantastic.

One last question...Hiss. Is Hiss an issue with the Neumann's?

Last edited:
OP
M

MixMaster

KH310 absolutely wrecks the Core 47s. They will do 85dB all day, though they do benefit from adding a subwoofer (I use a Rythmik F12 with mine).
Thanks for the response! I'm not against adding a sub either. Curious as to what frequency you settled on to crossover at? Did you feel a need to add the sub for volume or bass extension? Let me ask you - at 85dB is there headroom for solid snare hits? I mix multiple genres of music and need speakers that will handle the transients. Any hiss?

Best, Rick

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on location in a slightly less than ideal room with 310s and I'm liking them a lot for tracking and mixing. Plenty of headroom above 85dB but some bass distortion at really high level. Super quiet, no hiss. Great midrange clarity, no fatigue. Recommended.

OP
M

MixMaster

Yeah 310 would probably be my choice too.

But, when I put the measurements for both side by side and ignore the comments, I'm not so sure I see such a total "chalk and cheese" wiping of the floor. 310 very clearly has more controlled dispersion, but for example, where the 47 has more high Q notches and things going on in on-axis FR (which, OK, is not a great sign) the 310 looks like it has a general bass deficit or HF lift.

So I wouldn't disagree, 310 probably is better. And I have used 310s myself before. But I might not be quite so quick to dismiss the 47 completely without hearing it?

(It does bug me that the 47 feels like an afterthought in the Core range though, with the amp module in the wrong orientation etc. At this price point that is pretty poor.)
Thanks! very helpful. If only I could hear them before purchasing...
Please talk to me about your bass deficit comment. How big was the room you heard them in? Was it treated?
Again, I have a smaller room at ~12' W x 14' D

OP
M

MixMaster

For the last 8 weeks I have been working on location in a slightly less than ideal room with 310s and I'm liking them a lot for tracking and mixing. Plenty of headroom above 85dB but some bass distortion at really high level. Super quiet, no hiss. Great midrange clarity, no fatigue. Recommended.
Perfect and thanks. How big is the room that you experienced the bass distortion? My room is on the smaller size at 12' W x 14' D. If 85dB is comfortable, at what level did the bass distortion come in? Really appreciate the help.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hi again.

Hi again. In your comment above I thought you mentioned you added a sub?
I did - but not because of a lack of bass response. They go down to 30hz easy. This was more about taking some strain off the woofer (they are rather SPL limited below around 60hz).

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perfect and thanks. How big is the room that you experienced the bass distortion? My room is on the smaller size at 12' W x 14' D. If 85dB is comfortable, at what level did the bass distortion come in? Really appreciate the help.
I guess the room is about 16' x 18', with some temporary absorption. Pedal notes below about 45Hz get crunchy in the high 90dBs - mostly 3rd harmonic by the sound of it. But not distressing or terrible. Anything 50Hz or higher stays clean as loud as I can stand it.

I'm an old-school mains guy and avoid midfields when I can, but the 310s are surprising me.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Actually I'm surprised there's no KH310B or something because it's pretty old by now

OP
M

MixMaster

I did - but not because of a lack of bass response. They go down to 30hz easy. This was more about taking some strain off the woofer (they are rather SPL limited below around 60hz).
Thanks very much. I guess my decision is made.

OP
M

MixMaster

I guess the room is about 16' x 18', with some temporary absorption. Pedal notes below about 45Hz get crunchy in the high 90dBs - mostly 3rd harmonic by the sound of it. But not distressing or terrible. Anything 50Hz or higher stays clean as loud as I can stand it.

I'm an old-school mains guy and avoid midfields when I can, but the 310s are surprising me.
Fantastic!

audio2920

I can say for a fact that neither of those things are true.

Please talk to me about your bass deficit comment

I only felt it fair that if the 47 is being dismissed on measurement alone (since none of us seem to have A/B'd these two monitors) that I should give a bit of criticism of the 310 based on measurements.

Sure the 310s have never struck me as lacking bass on the occasions I've heard them, and of course, the LF region is so influenced by room placement / wall proximity that a few dB here or there in basic FR is almost irrelevant.

But I'll argue it because, internet, and even if I'm wrong that's what we do, right!? :) I can say for a fact that on Amir's on-axis FR plots, everything below about 120Hz is around 96-97dB and everything above 2k is more like 98-100dB. So it's not nothing.

The 47 is scrappier, but less tilted, to my eye.

FWIW, I've heard the 310 in a couple of very small rooms (14x10' maybe?) with little treatment and slightly larger rooms with what seemed like good treatment (22x16' maybe?) and they sounded pretty great in all setups!

Exactly like others have said, in the larger room it was a bit easier than I'd hoped to get them sounding stressed in their bottom octave. Not that bass overall didn't go loud, or deep, but that (like any speaker) it can't do both at the same time.

(I don't know if it has a DSP push to extend the LF cutoff at the expense of SPL maybe? Or maybe I'm just getting used to monitors where the LF that would trouble them is high-passed out these days.)

I do think in a 14x12 room you will be OK with typical material at 85dB, especially if you anticipate knocking the LF down for boundary reinforcement.

Top Bottom