• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 review by Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
It's understandable that you wouldn't want a pro looking speaker in your living room, but to add some context to gnarly's position (I hope he doesn't mind) here is his latest speaker setup, almost JBL blue :)

Does the polygon in the middle contain drivers as well? I’m curious if it serves a special purpose other than being a stand for the horn.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's understandable that you wouldn't want a pro looking speaker in your living room, but to add some context to gnarly's position (I hope he doesn't mind) here is his latest speaker setup, almost JBL blue :)
OK, this is the paramount example of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". My eyes are hurt by this, sorry. And this is coming from a man who is in the pro loudspeaker business - designing, building, selling and renting big pro loudspeakers.
I will have nightmares tonight...

tuga

Major Contributor
Remind you, the (false) corollary was "JBL 4367 is not measurable better than RCF 945, although RCF 945 is a fraction of the price"

Having seen more measurements I am no longer convinced that the RCF is "better".
It would be interesting to listen to the two in identical contitions.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not at all - there are universally accepted aesthetic standards and some lines are not meant to be crossed...
No there aren't. I'd be fine with the aesthetics of the JBL or with the pro equipment that has been mentioned. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I accept that I'm in a minority of course.

Digby

Major Contributor
Not at all - there are universally accepted aesthetic standards and some lines are not meant to be crossed...

May I introduce you to the Most aesthetically pleasing amplifiers thread.

Sometimes it is not just oneself, but WAF that has to be taken into account. Obviously WAF for pro equipment is non-existent and the large JBL home stuff, well, let's just say you better have at least as much money for expensive handbags/shoes/insert item of choice here.

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If that were true, then much of the (text)books (artbooks?) from academies of art and design should be thrown away through the windows.
But I am not buying them as furniture or works of art, I'm buying them for their utility. What they look like forms no part of my purchasing decision, to me it's just the same as if I was buying a washing machine. I look only for performance, build quality, and reliability, that's it.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
Thank you. A score post EQ is the next question that interests me.

Since the axis is relatively flat and the off-axis cannot be corrected, I don't think the score moves much on the ascending side ..

That said, I prefer the KLIPPEL axis than the Harman axis

edit/
The score doesn't really influence me as long as it remains "correct"
On the other hand, I would have liked to see the CSD of his speakers but maybe erin will include it in the measurements a little later?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pio

puppet

If that were true, then much of the (text)books (artbooks?) from academies of art and design should be thrown away through the windows.
You're considering only one aspect of design. Historically, JBL has been pretty conservative in their "box" design and choices of color/veneers. End result? ... a visual "branding" that is distinctively JBL. In that regard, their designers have once again hit the mark.

Reactions: Pio

Vladimir Filevski

I like conservative/vintage designs of loudspeakers (Tannoy, JBL, ...) as much as contemporary/modern ones.
My post was about undeniable truth that there are universally accepted aesthetic standards.

DSJR

Major Contributor
No there aren't. I'd be fine with the aesthetics of the JBL or with the pro equipment that has been mentioned. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

You don't have a 'significant other' though, do you? Some he-men may dismiss the influence our 'non we' partners have, but it's there for most of us in non palatial homes. How she tolerates the current boxes I have here I've no idea (she's insisted we wait until we've moved to finally decide to pass them on), but whether she'd tolerate a dinky pair of 'studio monitors' I've no idea (now vintage Beolab 6000's in black here I come ;) )

DSJR

Major Contributor
But I am not buying them as furniture or works of art, I'm buying them for their utility. What they look like forms no part of my purchasing decision, to me it's just the same as if I was buying a washing machine. I look only for performance, build quality, and reliability, that's it.
I thought like that once ;)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't have a 'significant other' though, do you? Some he-men may dismiss the influence our 'non we' partners have, but it's there for most of us in non palatial homes. How she tolerates the current boxes I have here I've no idea (she's insisted we wait until we've moved to finally decide to pass them on), but whether she'd tolerate a dinky pair of 'studio monitors' I've no idea (now vintage Beolab 6000's in black here I come ;) )
no, but when I did she had to put up with large, DIY speakers with unfinished chipboard cabs sat in the living room. She was never bothered about that sort of thing otherwise I wouldn't have been with her in the first place.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
we must never forget that sight dominates and influences all the other senses...I like the vintage look of the 4367 but I couldn't live with the M2's that I find hideous.

puppet

I like conservative/vintage designs of loudspeakers (Tannoy, JBL, ...) as much as contemporary/modern ones.
My post was about undeniable truth that there are universally accepted aesthetic standards.
What are you referring to? An uncomfortable chair or hair styles?

hvbias

With all due respect how can you comment on fidelity with a pool table in front of the speakers :facepalm: This is reminding me of a forum where a user goes on and on about some Rogue tube amps and has one of his speakers behind a sofa.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Hi fluid :)

I don't mind at all, thx. It's healthy to show (and accept differences) in all of our various designs, priorities, & preferences.

If folks are heavily into visual aesthetics, more power to them!!!

I'm not........all i want from my audio gear is very simply, better sound than i've ever heard before...damn the looks.

Besides, for me, nothing man makes begins to approach the visual beauty of outdoors........the skies, the waters, the landscapes, plants & animals.....nature.
Looking indoors, nothing more beautiful than a woman ! (Not flippin audio gear for sure. Lol)

Ironically, nothing in nature sounds as beautiful to me as the music man humans makes.....philosophically a bit strange, that twist....

Anyway, if my latest setup gives nightmares, the one it replaced surely would have been worse.
I shrunk the current MEHs down to to try LCR.
The previous pair of MEH's i had up for just stereo are a full foot wider and proportionally taller
....and painted heaven forbid, Duratex black!

syn8 pair R.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom