• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to CA CXNv2 for 2in1 DAC/Streamer <$1K?

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for all the comments. For better or worse, I don't use Roon. If a 1 box solution within my budget doesn't provide the answer, perhaps I need to consider a 2 box solution. Maybe a Wiim mini streamer connected via optical out to a $300-400 DAC (many good choices as I've learned from this website).
Go easy on me guys, I'm just sharing an experience that works effortlessly for me, which is a priority, and sounds like for the OP. I've got a current version Node and love the ease of use and feature set. After reading Amir's review, I bought an SMSL M400 DAC to make up for the measured "issues" by just using it as a streamer and leaving DAC duties to the M400. I also upped my Tidal subscription to MQA since I now had the hardware to do it. Must note, I'm 65, so that's got to be a reality in my experience. After living with it for a few months, I came to the subjective conclusion that I couldn't tell when the DAC was online or when I was listening to MQA. I sold the DAC and lowered my Tidal subscription to Hi Fi. So I'm back to my original one box solution, into my amp, that's it. I love the minimal nature of it. My point is, for $600 I love what my Node does, how it sounds and it's new top panel that makes is SO easy to use. I know that there's not a big Node fanbase here, but it answers the OP's needs, I think. He can always get a great tiny DAC with Amir's approval for minimal $... if he insists... lol.
1649533306083.jpeg
1649533342099.jpeg

OP
F

flz

I decided on a WiiM Mini Streamer + SMSL Su-9n. Very happy with the pair.

biglebowski

Forum Donor
Go easy on me guys, I'm just sharing an experience that works effortlessly for me, which is a priority, and sounds like for the OP. I've got a current version Node and love the ease of use and feature set. After reading Amir's review, I bought an SMSL M400 DAC to make up for the measured "issues" by just using it as a streamer and leaving DAC duties to the M400. I also upped my Tidal subscription to MQA since I now had the hardware to do it. Must note, I'm 65, so that's got to be a reality in my experience. After living with it for a few months, I came to the subjective conclusion that I couldn't tell when the DAC was online or when I was listening to MQA. I sold the DAC and lowered my Tidal subscription to Hi Fi. So I'm back to my original one box solution, into my amp, that's it. I love the minimal nature of it. My point is, for $600 I love what my Node does, how it sounds and it's new top panel that makes is SO easy to use. I know that there's not a big Node fanbase here, but it answers the OP's needs, I think. He can always get a great tiny DAC with Amir's approval for minimal $... if he insists... lol.
View attachment 198786View attachment 198787
very nice set up ! I guess it sounds pretty warm ! ;)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
FWIW I have had the CXN V2 for a couple of years. The update that brought Roon compatibility made it the perfect device for me. Right up to the point I stopped using Roon. No reliability issues with the CXN though.

The CXN V2 offers really alot. Sure there are cheaper and better options if one wants to go crazy with multiple devices but the CXN V2 supports usb drives. And you can browse everything on the display if necessary.

Let's assume the internet has problems and you are all digital (like me).

The streammagic app is alright. Tidal connect, Spotify, Chromecast. Airplay.. plenty of options.

I use airplay for my apple TV 4k .

The usb input works with uac 1 +2. So the Cxn V2 supports gaming consoles.

The device gets regular updates since years.

And there is roon support.

WiFi and Lan connection + multiple inputs and outputs.

Plenty of DACs still have issues if you use XLR and RCA out at the same time.

Top Bottom