• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADAM Audio A series 2022

Filio45

10 W at idle is quite a lot for something with a 90 W Class D + 15 W Class AB amp (I mean, my old K+H O110s are at 11 W each and all AB), so that 24/96 DSP goodness may be slightly power hungry. They do apparently have a sleep mode at 3.5 W, though available documentation does not mention any kind of auto standby

(Since I've gotten my PC at home to 15 W at idle and around 20 W lightly loaded, its power draw is being dwarfed by my peripherals, so I'm slightly sensitive to this issue now...)
It's conceivable that the power draw will be less in practice (through a kill-a-watt meter) than stated in their specs, but disappointing if they don't include an 'auto-off' feature considering the use of class AB amplification, I agree.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Not bad at all. A8H might be a viable competitor for the KH310, assuming they've tuned it correctly.

EDIT: GC prices are $1500 each for the A8H. If it's good, it's a no-brainer buy.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Canadian pricing is revealed:
ModelType$CDN
A4V2-way$650/ea
A7V2-way$1030/ea
A8H3-way (Personally, most excited about)$1900/ea
A77HDual 7", 3-way$1650/ea
A44HDual 8", 2-way$900/ea

I'm seeing ETA of July.

In comparison:
Neumann KH310 is CDN$3250/ea, so A8H is 41% cheaper.
Genelec 8050B is CDN$2100/ea, so A8H is 10% cheaper.

I really hope A8H is a viable competitor...since these prices are very competitive.
Very excited! :)

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20220407-215701_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220407-215639_Chrome.jpg

Pretty similar

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How is this an event ? I fail to understand this hype.

Adam sells expensive (with regard to performance) loudspeakers which are not cutting edge technology nor performance in any way. Best one could say about them is that they properly implement solutions that are known to be reasonable.

People like to buy new things...

cutting edge seems to cost 5 figures these days...

Reactions: Zvu

Jerico

They made a digital monitor with no digital connectivity...FAIL:confused:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Adam sells expensive (with regard to performance) loudspeakers which are not cutting edge technology nor performance in any way. Best one could say about them is that they properly implement solutions that are known to be reasonable.
I'm not one to defend Adam, but "properly implementing solutions" seems to be a very difficult thing for a lot of audio manufacturers.

tktran303

Forum Donor
Well I could build my golden sample to near perfection. But to manufacture it at +/- 0.5 dB is not an easy thing to do cheaply. Most of these manufacturers are small (<300 employees) because it’s a niche market.

Many probably don’t employ six sigma or other strategies of the big companies.

But this is music reproduction; it ain’t critical like this automatic transmissions or airbags…

Last edited:

Zvu

I gather that +/-0,5dB tolerance was/is a problem for passive crossovers but DSP's, being cheap as they are, makes that practically non existent problem.

HansHolland

I gather that +/-0,5dB tolerance was/is a problem for passive crossovers but DSP's, being cheap as they are, makes that practically non existent problem.
Drivers build within +/-0.5dB no problem?

I have the feeling that you are just trying to make ADAM Audio look bad.

Zvu

Drivers build within +/-0.5dB no problem?

I have the feeling that you are just trying to make ADAM Audio look bad.

You can have any feeling you like, that's subjective category i don't care for.

On objective part of your post: who cares about the driver tolerance (which is always good enough unless you use real junk) if you adjust for it by dsp in final design ? Tymphany have tolerances lower than 0.5dB in lowest priced products. I have 8 pieces of Peerless TC9FD18-08 on my hand, small 12€ fr's, produced 5 years apart. They measure spot on: ts parameters and frequency response.

Last edited:

Gang

A7V looks good to me. But why are there no measurement charts on the site yet? And the maximum of 105 dB SPL is very strange.

Last edited:

Zvu

Well, that is not uncommon peak loudness for 7" mid-woofer with 33mm voice coil diameter. It probably has lower Xmax than the 7" mid-woofer used in S2V which has larger voice coil and is advertised as ELE (extended linear excursion) which does 120dB/1m for a pair. I like the looks though as it reminds me of A7X.

Filio45

A little disappointed that they opted to go with a 4" instead of 5", but I guess it's targeted as a Neumann KH80 competitor for modestly-sized desk use at quite close range?

mightycicadalord

"You can rotate the tweeter and maintain dispersion characteristics"

Not of the woofer is moved to the side.

temps

How is this an event ? I fail to understand this hype.

Once upon a time Adam absolutely dominated the midrange monitor market. I can't quantify this but it seemed like, back in 2010 or so, every "serious" bedroom producer was using A7Xs. The A series was very, very popular... so them finally getting a major update after over 10 years is noteworthy.

These new monitors have quite the feature set. I'm very curious to see how they compare to the equivalent HEDDs.. I'd been of the opinion when Klaus left that the majority of Adam's engineering capability went with him, but then the T series was absolutely excellent so we'll have to see what the measurements look like.

Zvu

I see, and tend to agree. I really liked A7X. In my opinion S series represents real update of their top line monitors and something that is equivalent to (or slightly better than) HEDD models. New A series really looks like downgraded S series, made to be cheaper and of lower quality. They've obviously just needed something that will be performance wise and priced right between serious S series and plastic T series. S2V measures great and i can't imagine what would new A7V do better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom