• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO FD5 Review (IEM)

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 53 25.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 138 67.0%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Nah, there’s a guy on YouTube who says all you need is your ears.
Well, my ears are not available to borrow if that is what you are asking. I need them myself!

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
Distortionwise it looks extraordinary, but the frequency response gives me headaches..way way too much (5dB!) energy in upper bass/lower mids and those peaks at 6khz and 8 khz (compare https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/harman_in-ear_2019v2/FiiO FD5) where hearing is very sensitive.....
maybe someday at a much lower price point....
Just curious, but why not EQ? The distortion is low enough that you could probably make it sound like whatever you wanted, right?

Tempted to try these and def will if they go on sale.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You need some help!!!
More than help, I need a bodyguard to protect me from all the riots that start when I test an IEM! :) It is more work to deal with them than the review itself. I have to psych myself up for all the aggravation before testing one!

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
More than help, I need a bodyguard to protect me from all the riots that start when I test an IEM! :) It is more work to deal with them than the review itself. I have to psych myself up for all the aggravation before testing one!
This is truly unfortunate; I'd have thought viewers of your reviews would be sensible, sincere about seeking the truth and be open to difference and civilized discussion

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Well, my ears are not available to borrow if that is what you are asking. I need them myself!

It was meant as a joke regarding the oft used play of the reviewers who say that objective measurements do not matter, all you need are subjective ears and flowery prose to state whether something is of worth.

Azathoth

Fiio knows

urfaust

Amazing you are reviewing more IEM's Amirm! I can't wait for some more. I had the Fiio FH5, different driver design. It had some flaws imo. Makes me want to try this one out now.

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
Ordered a pair. Free returns on Amazon so low-risk. Tempted to try the Moondrop x Crinacle but not as easy to buy/return w/Shenzhen Audio.

deafenears

Forum Donor
Yeah, I really don't understand - people can't just accept it as another data point but rather come out and say "you're wrong!".

Hopefully this doesn't put you off further IEM review/measurements. Keep up the great work!

fricccolodics

Just curious, but why not EQ? The distortion is low enough that you could probably make it sound like whatever you wanted, right?

Tempted to try these and def will if they go on sale.
Not having to eq gives me a wider choice of sources and apart from that: at work i am using a laptop without PEQ possiblity(i am not allowed to install software) and i do not want to use my phone (battery) or my ipod, because my desk is already cluttered with files and food ;)

CinDyment

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I received mine today. Very pleasant first listenings, quite loud when sourced from an AP80 PRO, no need for additional amplifier. FLAC files from 16/44.1 master files (CDs). They come with a balanced connector as well: I have not tried it, as I am listening to Music now through the mounted 3.5 mm. I have not played with the different ear plugs as I am listening to Music now. And I do not wish to do anything else but listening to Music. What I experience is typical: a quality component that makes me wish to rediscover by listening again to my well know recordings, songs and composers. I am not skipping to the next song either, but I am transfixed to listen to the whole album. Amir is right: spatial effects are very, very precisely delivered. Try Al Stewart's intro of "Midas Shadow" from The Year of the Cat, or Franco Battiato's "Bandiera Bianca" from La Voce del Padrone (a great album from the 1980's, very very well recorded).
True, I miss the spatial clues from the room. Is it bad? I am isolated from the (soft) noises of the (quiet) home tough: no fridge buzzing, no woosh from HVAC heating, a more focused experience, the closest I can get to the source before they find a way to inject music in my occipital cortex, or make my neurons receptors dance to the tunes of implanted micro-electrodes. Thank you Amir for a well documented and well presented review of an affordable Gem. Very highly recommended!

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
Received mine today. First impressions: Lots of stuff in this package, including a dozen sets of ear tips, none of which fit. Some of them don't fit the headphones, either. There are a bunch of little tools that don't make any sense. I managed to wedge the largest memory-foam tips into my ears, and wrap the cords around my ears; if I don't move, they stay. I can't lean back because the cord is so short it barely reaches across my desk.

As for the sound... it's bearable for a few minutes? The spatial effects are good, as has been mentioned. If I use the bass tips, there's bass and not much else. If I use other tips, there's some treble. I think if you don't mind messing with different tips, trying them out, spending weeks to perfect the sound, etc., you wouldn't mind this; as *I* type this, I'm staring longingly at my PM-3s and their rapidly disintegrating ear pads, thinking about how much more I prefer them. The FD5 is like listening to an iPhone speaker in a noisy room. If I use my fingers to apply a perfect amount of pressure to the headphone, I can get some music; too much and it shuts off (?!).

The whole experience is just annoying, and they're going back. My Airpods and Bose ANC headphones are a more pleasant experience, even though I'll never argue that they're "better."

Archsam

I just bought a pair of FD5 after reading this review. I have been listening to them for 2 full days now. So far I think it has combined the best attribute of my current IEMs - the clarity of the Etymotic ER4-XR, with the bass of the Shure SE535. Spatially the sound do resemble my big headphones, which is pretty impressive.

Comfort is so so - I am using the large vocal silicon tips, which fits my right ear well but is not sitting properly in my left ear, and I have to fiddle with it to get a good seal. A trick I discovered this morning - if I don't push the tips right down to the bottom of the sound tube, the extra 1-2mm extension really help with my fit. The left ear fit is much improved after this tweak.

I am pairing the FD5 with my Sony WM-1A, which only have a simple 10 band equalizer. I applied an EQ of -4dB @ 250Hz, and +3dB @ 4000Hz, and the difference is subtle but noticeable. The bass tightens up nicely, especially on Jazz tracks. But on bass heavy tracks I sometimes prefers the EQ turned off. I don't find the midrange lacking detail, as some online reviewers suggested. It doesn't have the absolute clarity of my Etymotic but I wonder if this is simply because the FiiO has such a great bass presentation the mid is perceived as less 'front and centre'? I also wonder if this is down to the fit for some.

The FD5 are efficient enough that I turned off the high gain setting on my WM-1A. I am using the 4.4mm balanced jack on my cable.

So far I am very happy with the FD5. They are possibly the most balanced earphones / headphones I have at the moment. I am having trouble putting them down (to the annoyance of my partner!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom