• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

24/96 playback stuttering with Allo Digione

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Hey Folks,

I've got an interesting issue and didn't know if anyone had come across this, or has more insight into what's going on.

My 24/96 files I host on my NFS server playback with frequent stuttering and hesitation which renders them inaudible.
If I play a single 16/44.1 file from the same server through the same system it always plays without issue and afterward 24/96 files playback without issue *until I reboot the system*.

Hardware:
Raspberry Pi 3B+ running MoOde Audio v.8.0.2 on a Samsung Class 10 micro SD card connected to network via 1Gbps LAN connection. Powered by an ifi 5v power supply.
Allo Digione set as i2s device in MoOde >outputting via coaxial output>
Topping D30 set to Coax >outputting via analog output>
Denon 4700H AVR receiving audio via analog input
NFS server running on Manjaro Linux on local network via ethernet

What I've ruled out:
Network/Server/Files: The 24/96 files play without issues on other devices on the same local network. 24/96 files play without issue on culprit system after playing a 16/44.1 file as mentioned above.
MoOde Raspberry Pi digital ouptut: The 24/96 files play without issue if outputting via Rpi HDMI output to AVR HDMI input.
DAC: 24/96 files stutter when outputting to both the Topping and 4700H DAC via coaxial output.
Coaxial Cable: 24/96 stuttering from two different cables

MoOde log:
I2S sync error: This occurs both with stuttering and without it -- some claim this is a non-issue

i2s sync error.png

Samba RPC error: The stuttering occurred before this error on a previous version of MoOde.

RPC error.png

In the end, it seems to me the issue lies within the Allo Digione transport. I've reached out to their support but have not heard a response. The other possibility is some discrepancy in how MoOde implements the i2s Allo Digione.

Thanks for looking and any input!

David

charleski

Major Contributor
In terms of diagnostics, it might help to reboot the Pi, play some high res audio that stutters, then attach the output of moodeutl -s. But it might be more useful to post this question on the moode forums or the moode thread on DIYaudio, where Tim Curtis and others would see it.

OP
Lttlwing16

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
In terms of diagnostics, it might help to reboot the Pi, play some high res audio that stutters, then attach the output of moodeutl -s. But it might be more useful to post this question on the moode forums or the moode thread on DIYaudio, where Tim Curtis and others would see it.
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I haven't looked at moodeutl -s yet, but will take a look. I have a post out for Tim over on the MoOde forum, and waiting for his response. I'll pass along the findings as they develop!

Thanks again,

David

mediocrebutarrogant

yeah stutter is problem with the pi as a streamer , i am streaming from mconnect lite tidal to moode audio dlna renderer pi usb to E50, and the stutter at the beginning of hi res files is something i am living with , :facepalm: but i could direct usb from my laptop , that works great but ties me to desk.. so i guess have to wait till i can get a good streamer with tidal connect built in.. bluesound node 2i seems to fit the bill but dont want to spend them bucks right now. Also a recommendation would help.. tried volumio premium with tidal connect as well.. its ok at best , not100% reliable, dont want to pay for a subpar implementation of buggy software

OP
Lttlwing16

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
yeah stutter is problem with the pi as a streamer , i am streaming from mconnect lite tidal to moode audio dlna renderer pi usb to E50, and the stutter at the beginning of hi res files is something i am living with , :facepalm: but i could direct usb from my laptop , that works great but ties me to desk.. so i guess have to wait till i can get a good streamer with tidal connect built in.. bluesound node 2i seems to fit the bill but dont want to spend them bucks right now. Also a recommendation would help.. tried volumio premium with tidal connect as well.. its ok at best , not100% reliable, dont want to pay for a subpar implementation of buggy software
In my case, the stuttering is related to a faulty Allo Digione board, per their support. They want me to pay shipping both ways from the US to India to have it repaired, with it only being 2 years old. The shipping charges would almost pay for a brand new one. I told them to repair it at no cost, or send me a new one.

Ball is in their courts, we shall see if they are a company that stands behind their product.

mediocrebutarrogant

yeah on LAN you shouldn't get any stutter but for internet streaming hi res to pi over dlna is, well meh...

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You could try using a USB port on the Pi and bypass the Digione. With the current generation of asynchronous USB devices like the Digione have become redundant.

OP
Lttlwing16

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
You could try using a USB port on the Pi and bypass the Digione. With the current generation of asynchronous USB devices like the Digione have become redundant.
You know I looked into this some and there is a thread here on ASR where the consensus is the 3B+ still stutters with hi-res files with output from USB.

Now, with the Denon x4700H, the AVR DAC may be good enough to output straight from the HDMI output of the 3B+ into the 4700H. This is the option I am considering.

I'd need to compare the DAC performance of the 4700H vs the Topping D30 I am currently using with the Digione.

kchap

Forum Donor
You know I looked into this some and there is a thread here on ASR where the consensus is the 3B+ still stutters with hi-res files with output from USB.

Now, with the Denon x4700H, the AVR DAC may be good enough to output straight from the HDMI output of the 3B+ into the 4700H. This is the option I am considering.

I'd need to compare the DAC performance of the 4700H vs the Topping D30 I am currently using with the Digione.
I have commented myself that the 3 is not as good as the 4 re USB performance but the impression I get on the on Volumio forum is the 3B should OK on USB. Give it a go on MOode, if it does not work you can revert to the current setup.

OP
Lttlwing16

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
I have commented myself that the 3 is not as good as the 4 re USB performance but the impression I get on the on Volumio forum is the 3B should OK on USB. Give it a go on MOode, if it does not work you can revert to the current setup.
Yeah, it just grinds my gear I have a $120 piece of defective hardware that can't do what it's supposed to..

Let me ask you this -- do you have any deep understanding of the specifics of what's happening with an i2s sync error. How does this effect playback when switching between 16/44.1 and 24/96 files?

kchap

Forum Donor
Yeah, it just grinds my gear I have a $120 piece of defective hardware that can't do what it's supposed to..

Let me ask you this -- do you have any deep understanding of the specifics of what's happening with an i2s sync error. How does this effect playback when switching between 16/44.1 and 24/96 files?
No, except the explanation provided by that GitHub link seems plausible. The SAMBA error is interesting. What are you using as a file server?

OP
Lttlwing16

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
No, except the explanation provided by that GitHub link seems plausible. The SAMBA error is interesting. What are you using as a file server?
The Samba error is known to the MoOde dev's and I was told it's unrelated to my stuttering issues.

I'm using NFS file share on a Manjaro Linux machine.

kchap

Forum Donor
The Samba error is known to the MoOde dev's and I was told it's unrelated to my stuttering issues.

I'm using NFS file share on a Manjaro Linux machine.
Well, that's exhausted my knowledge. I would interested to hear if it gets resolved.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Folks,

I've got an interesting issue and didn't know if anyone had come across this, or has more insight into what's going on.

My 24/96 files I host on my NFS server playback with frequent stuttering and hesitation which renders them inaudible.
If I play a single 16/44.1 file from the same server through the same system it always plays without issue and afterward 24/96 files playback without issue *until I reboot the system*.

Hardware:
Raspberry Pi 3B+ running MoOde Audio v.8.0.2 on a Samsung Class 10 micro SD card connected to network via 1Gbps LAN connection. Powered by an ifi 5v power supply.
Allo Digione set as i2s device in MoOde >outputting via coaxial output>
Topping D30 set to Coax >outputting via analog output>
Denon 4700H AVR receiving audio via analog input
NFS server running on Manjaro Linux on local network via ethernet

What I've ruled out:
Network/Server/Files: The 24/96 files play without issues on other devices on the same local network. 24/96 files play without issue on culprit system after playing a 16/44.1 file as mentioned above.
MoOde Raspberry Pi digital ouptut: The 24/96 files play without issue if outputting via Rpi HDMI output to AVR HDMI input.
DAC: 24/96 files stutter when outputting to both the Topping and 4700H DAC via coaxial output.
Coaxial Cable: 24/96 stuttering from two different cables

MoOde log:
I2S sync error: This occurs both with stuttering and without it -- some claim this is a non-issue

View attachment 197420
Samba RPC error: The stuttering occurred before this error on a previous version of MoOde.

View attachment 197422

In the end, it seems to me the issue lies within the Allo Digione transport. I've reached out to their support but have not heard a response. The other possibility is some discrepancy in how MoOde implements the i2s Allo Digione.

Thanks for looking and any input!

David
What about taking a completely different (and simpler) route and leaving out the Pi, the DAC etc from your audio chain and use the X4700 UPNP client and stream directly from the NAS to the X4700 using for example mconnect?

Works great for me (up to 192/24)….

What also worked for me, but currently I do not use it, is from a Pi4/Moode via USB to my other DAC (Auralic Altair) …

. I found, although the Auralic has about 112dB THDN and the Denon „only“ ca 100dB THDN (in preamp mode only) I can’t hear a difference whatsoever.

OP
Lttlwing16

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
What about taking a completely different (and simpler) route and leaving out the Pi, the DAC etc from your audio chain and use the X4700 UPNP client and stream directly from the NAS to the X4700 using for example mconnect?

Works great for me (up to 192/24)….

What also worked for me, but currently I do not use it, is from a Pi4/Moode via USB to my other DAC (Auralic Altair) …

. I found, although the Auralic has about 112dB THDN and the Denon „only“ ca 100dB THDN (in preamp mode only) I can’t hear a difference whatsoever.
You know I strongly considered outputting the Rpi's HDMI output to the 4700H, but after reviewing @amirm review of the 4700H, the DAC just isn't up to snuff to the Topping D30 I'm using.

If Allo, won't support their product past warranty when it's a known issue, then I'll be moving on to @Audiophonics products.

OP
Lttlwing16

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
As an update, Allo offered me 30% discount towards a new Digione to replace the faulty one with stuttering and I2S sync error. However, barring the product is faulty after 2 years of light use, and considering their service requires a $45 shipping fee back to them, I decided to forgo any further investment in their products and went with the @Audiophonics DIGIPI+I2S instead. This will come with a 2 year warranty, the support so far has been superb, has multiple output abilities and their items have largely reviewed well here on ASR. Hopefully the sound quality won't be far behind the Digione.

mediocrebutarrogant

I'm streaming hi-res up to 192khz wireless from qobuz and tidal. MacBook + roon. To a roon endpoint.

No issues
my issue was with moode audio, volumio dont stutter on tidal connect! finally saved big bucks ! or I would go for bluesound :)

Top Bottom