• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Rode NTH-100 headphones.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have cooling gel pads on my DT770s and im baffled that it isnt the industry standard in pads, its literally the most confortable feature i vave ever tried in a headphone.

I'm also quite perplexed why Alcantara isn't more widely used as well. So far I like the NTH100's earpads material a lot.

I'm also wondering why Røde couldn't manage to find a way to properly seal the cable entry ports and vent the headphones in another way. Their solution (the little rubber cap) is in my opinion quite inelegant and prevents proper channel matching to ever occur. I'm tempted to make a trip inside if I decide to keep them.

Last edited:

cheapmessiah

I'm also quite perplexed why Alcantara isn't more widely used as well. So far I like the NTH100's earpads material a lot.

Maket not demanding it, crappy fleece and pleather are cheaper too, so companies have 0 incentive for it, then custom pad companies aim for leather as the defacto top tier material beacuse it is percieved as fancy, but it isnt as comfortable as some fabrics that are more breathable and do not retain as much heat.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

The NTH-100 material is a synthetic material (cloth) that feels and looks like suede.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
The question for me is, is there any human ability to monitor sound at 5hz. :rolleyes:
I think my headphones go up to 40kHz. Why?

I guess these headphones are ideal for the whole family, from your pet whale to your favourite cat!

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It isn't real alcantara which is some type of leather.
The NTH-100 material is a synthetic material (cloth) that feels and looks like alcantara hence the registered trademark after the word alcantara.

Wasn't Alcantara always a (registered) synthetic material ? Aren't you rather referring to suede ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes indeed, synthetic that feels like suede but is more durable but also somewhat expensive (luxury item).
Shure has alcantara pads for the 1540 and Vesper Audio and Yaxi makes custom pads also in alcantara.
Also AiAiAi has some alcantara pads as well as Master & Dynamic and Meze.

Last edited:

mslim

Patiently awaiting for Amir to test this model before deciding.

Vinylgabfest

Does this seem like something that would be decent for gaming? Any impression on soundstage for instance?
I found they seem to place things pretty well so yeah might be good for gaming. Definitely better than some for soundstage. For footsteps and stuff you might want to boost the highs a bit.

Vinylgabfest

Review is up.

Good for studio work.
Those looking for a headphone for 'audiophile' music enjoyment should look elsewhere (misses details/nuance/sparkle/clarity).
Can't do more measurements as it is returned.
Thanks for the review I saw the comparison chart vs the HD650s. Can you suggest optimal 5 EQ settings to improve tonality generally for music? The bass seems pretty good but maybe can add a bit below 30hz, boost around 8Khz for more detail?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I tried to EQ the mids treble and while the tonal balance got better the quality of the treble (too much and too steep correction needed above 12kHz) and the dip around 8kHz depends on several factors and is harder to correct it still did not have the treble quality I am looking for.

Absolutely no issue for its intended purpose but less suited for hifi... unless you are O.K. with it of course. Some don't really care about treble quality as long as it is not sharp/sibilant.

I do not use parametric EQ myself (have my own methods) so just try to EQ the 30Hz to 1kHz band about -4dB so closer to the 90dB trace.
The dip around 8kHz I would not raise more than 5dB. You will need a +10dB lift at 20kHz. It is responsible for the lack of sparkle and nice 'shimmer' on cymbals. When the part below 1kHz is lowered you may not want to EQ the 2kHz band.

fr-nth-100.png

I hope people noticed the excellent channel matching (you MUST use the rubber stopper in the cup that does not have a cable in it !)
Also the smoothness of frequency response. The plot itself is NOT smoothed !!!
This is very rare, certainly with a closed headphone. This was not cherry picked.. just a regular order from Thomann.

Last edited:

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Absolutely no issue for its intended purpose but less suited for hifi
If I understand correctly, this is intended for content creation that is not pure music? For podcasts, tv and radio shows and whatever, right?
This is not for audio engeneers, producers?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yes, it is primarily intended for production of YT videos etc and podcasts.
The reasoning behind the tonal character is that spoken word monitored/mixed/produced on these headphones will result in voices that sound clear on TV's, computer monitor speakers etc.
Were one using a DT770 or MDR7506 the one 'mastering' the sound would get the urge to dial down the treble as both these (very common) headphones used in such circumstances have elevated treble. When it sounds 'nice' on those headphones at a louder volume then those productions sound dull and not clear on TV's, nearfield monitors and such.

Having slightly recessed clarity and treble as a starting point (the NTH-100) you end up with clearer sound.

Audio engineers and music producers can still use it but either need to 'learn' how it should sound on these headphones compared to their studio monitors or would have to EQ them. Otherwise they would end up with not so full sounding productions which may have too much treble / sibilance.

Sebyelcapo

9D68EE88-A554-46D0-9AEB-016CF36B91FC.jpeg

These rode sound like CALs with better imaging (both using the same eq). Without eq they sound even more similar, very surprised with this since the CALs are my favorite closed backs. It's like they're CALs on steroids (better build, better comfort, better imaging for games).
Punchy and deep bass, great mids and normal highs, regular soundstage (worse than dt770) and very good imaging (tested in games), they respond well with eq, specially bass boost, it's like having 2 headphones in 1.

Last edited:

Hamster

Finally a second audiophile review after Z
Who will be next. DMS?

Tim D

(you MUST use the rubber stopper in the cup that does not have a cable in it !)
This is such critical information if you buy these. That rubber stopper is tucked in the bag that holds the colour clips and seems like a trivial or cosmetic thing. It isn't. At first I thought that the phones had been wired wrongly. I played around with the polarities in the DAC (RME), and nothing helped. Then I saw this... thank you!

So... that's one problem solved...

Next one, is that these may be "closed-back" headphones but they surely should be considered "closed-back, open-sided". The pads attenuate almost nothing. Once I put the rubber stopper into the open right-hand jack, some of the weird phasing effects from (for example) an off-centre, rear 3/4 fan noise went away. But not all of them.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Rode's products. But I think the second generation of these will take some different directions.

Vinylgabfest

Using parametric EQ I found these have significant headroom for critical listening. Boosting sub 100 Hz and above 500 kHz I found these headphones responded well. They seem veiled before EQ ing. By that I mean the difference was like having the music in another room. Once EQed they really open up. At this price point for gaming and casual listening with EQ I think they are good. I can't wait to see if Amir reviews them how he EQs them and if they do get a recommend or not following his tests :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When he does you'll see the high levels of bass distortion (compression) which is higher order (3rd and 5th) and can not be fixed in any way.
Not an issue for the intended purpose. Also not an issue at background to 'long sensible level' listening levels.
The compression at higher levels kind of 'invents' extra harmonics in the already 'beefy sounding' bass.
They will thus not get a recommendation because of the huge amount of distortion at 114dB and their non-compliance to Harman.
With EQ they might as Amir also did not hear the substantial compression in the ZX110 which is much worse. :)

Amir will lower the upper bass and mids, add about 5dB at 8kHz and probably do nothing above 13kHz because the test fixture (with correction) over-reports the upper treble so would appear to be the correct amount.

The pads attenuate almost nothing.

I have (can, actually) not measure attenuation but thought it was decent and a bit higher than say DT770 (one of its competitors) and about on par to MDR7506 which is closed.
The pads that are somewhat leaky (on purpose to obtain the right bass response) makes the NTH-100 a semi-closed headphone.
Given how much the frequency response is affected when seal is broken it is just lightly semi-closed.

The pads have a layer of gel near the cloth which are supposed to cool the skin by conducting heat from the skin so it can radiate heat on the outside of the pad. The surface area is very small and covered with cloth so suspect the cooling effect is wishful thinking and perhaps a bit gimmicky. The thin gel layer will not leak air but the soft foam layer underneath which, combined with the used cloth may just a little.
The gel layer is a bit firm so seal might be harder to obtain when wearing glasses.
Again, no issue in studio usage for the intended purpose but maybe an issue for glasses wearing sub-bass fans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom