• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Ben1987

Audio Company
Has anyone try to use this board with their sbc board vim? If this tone board was connected to the vim through the 40 pin header, the usb c port in this tone board could still connect to your pc which means it could searve as your pc dac but when your pc is turned off it will then work as a network streamer. Khadas staff confirms to me that this board will always take the usbc signal first.
WOW,You are here!

Attachments

• IMG_20181102_123455.jpg
    IMG_20181102_123455.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 578

Veri

Master Contributor
Would be great if Amir measured an encased DAC in the future.

Case shouldn't change much, not like any obvious problems were seen in current measurements.

It will stay totally transpareo~~

Nango

Major Contributor
I went thru the Khadas site but never got the clue on what these VIM boards are supposed for .... is it like a Raspberry-PC only different or what?

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Nango

Major Contributor

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ok, like a Raspberry Board, so why didnt they work on the RPI, .... much inferior the RPI (in which terms?) or why?
I'm not well versed with these things but most of the time these SBCs only differ on features and specs they offer at different price point, similar to what you get with PCs, laptops, smartphones etc. If you want to use these SBCs specifically for audio use, Raspi is probably your best bet due to huge audiophile community support and software availability such as Volumio and DietPi.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding the case, someone has to have a 3d printer. Why not just create a plastic case based on the thing's dimensions?

willow

I went thru the Khadas site but never got the clue on what these VIM boards are supposed for .... is it like a Raspberry-PC only different or what?
it can be used on Rasppi, ordoid and other SBC or other O/S. The difference between using along with other SBC and using Khadas VIMs, it is that it can support SPDIF IN/OUT. if using along with other SBC, only can be support the SPDIF in.
More of the specs you can have a refer to szwesion.com/khadas-tone-board/

billqs

I'm ordering one of these. I'm going generic, but I think there should be a way to alter the VIM case for just the Tone Board by using spacers and maybe smaller length screws to hold the top and bottom in. Am I way off base on this idea? I have no idea what other cards I would have to buy to build a VIM and honestly the DAC is all I will use of it.

willow

I'm ordering one of these. I'm going generic, but I think there should be a way to alter the VIM case for just the Tone Board by using spacers and maybe smaller length screws to hold the top and bottom in. Am I way off base on this idea? I have no idea what other cards I would have to buy to build a VIM and honestly the DAC is all I will use of it.
Yes, about the case I think you can contact with #TimW in this forum, he just developed a new case for Khadas Tone board. As to us, we still don't have a plan to make out an enclosure. Here is a thread that you may interested in, I think TimW's case will be much more better chosen than the Khadas Case if you dont buy the VIM boards.
Posted a thread regarding the possibility of creating a 3D printable case design for the Tone Board.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rintable-case-for-the-khadas-tone-board.5098/

urfaust

I did order one for my desktop pc, im just confused, is it possible to fit the board in their DIY case? even it's meant for the wim version thing. Knowing how bad the dac/output of my motherboard is, it should be a nice upgrade, i ve already compared it with a dragonfly that i use with my phone and the difference was very significant, it will finally put to rest this horrible design Asus must have come up with on their Rog motherboards (im sure it would be the worst measuring thing around here)

Grave

I did order one for my desktop pc, im just confused, is it possible to fit the board in their DIY case? even it's meant for the wim version thing. Knowing how bad the dac/output of my motherboard is, it should be a nice upgrade, i ve already compared it with a dragonfly that i use with my phone and the difference was very significant, it will finally put to rest this horrible design Asus must have come up with on their Rog motherboards (im sure it would be the worst measuring thing around here)

The generic version will fit in a case.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ase-enclosure-for-the-khadas-tone-board.5054/

urfaust

invaderzim

Their site is very nicely done visually but it is really short on information for people that aren't familiar with their products. If I hadn't gone to forums like this to read about the board I'd probably still be confused about what a 'generic' version is.

helloworld

It looks like this tone board does not have the hardware volume control and @Ben1987 said they have scheduled a design of a small PCB with a volume control button. Now I have a question about the bit perfect: if a DAC comes with hardware volume control and connected with a PC through USB, should I set the PC volume to maximum and always use the DAC volume control to get the bit perfect?

Top Bottom