• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 review by Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Written review https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/jbl_4367/

CEA2034 -- JBL 4367.png
Early Reflections.png
Estimated In-Room Response.png
SPL Horizontal.png
SPL Vertical.png
JBL 4367 Horizontal Contour Plot (Normalized).png
JBL 4367 Vertical Contour Plot (Normalized).png
JBL 4367_360_Horizontal_Polar.png
JBL 4367_360_Vertical_Polar.png
JBL 4367 Group Delay.png
JBL 4367_Compression.png

JBL 4367 FR_Linearity.png
JBL 4367 Harmonic Distortion (86dB @ 1m).png
JBL 4367 Harmonic Distortion (96dB @ 1m).png
JBL 4367 Impedance.png
JBL 4367 Step Response.png

Last edited:

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Completely agree with erin s about listening to them below the tweeter axis and this analysis confirms me on my choice to have them with an increase of 23 cm. These are certainly the speakers that gave me the most trouble to get the right positioning.
Subjectively, it is true that they are very destabilizing because they make appear what it occurs and what the sound engineer wanted to make in the mixing /mastering the good things as in the bad things not succeeded, the whole in a big comfort of listening.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
I'm interested in looking at the response at different tweeter heights and also a room response measurement, to see if this gets rid of the small directivity issue at the crossover frequency.
As it's been measured by Harman this speaker seems to have some BBC dip, expect that it's at a perceptually wrong range.
Maybe it should have been designed a 3-way.

7RX31bk.jpg

TimVG

Major Contributor
There is no issue in the horizontal plane if you look at the early horizontal reflection DI. This is one of those issues that isn't really an issue.

changer

As it's been measured by Harman this speaker seems to have some BBC dip, expect that it's at a perceptually wrong range.
Maybe it should have been designed a 3-way.
No, it's a crossover effect of two-way speakers with wavguide/horn, where woofer and waveguide pattern sum. This will leave a small dent in DI and PR, but you cannot hear it, it is a problem on graphs.

Wow, spin looks fantastic:

CEA2034 -- JBL 4367.png

But the solution of the three top octaves narrowing a lot is questionable. Good for PIR but only 50 degree total pattern width left at 10k.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh wow, this is the big one with the 15" woofer.

Without anything for scale it's even harder to tell these JBLs apart from each other than Genelecs.

nerdoldnerdith

The crossover is at 700Hz, so what is going on at 1000Hz? Why does the directivity index dip like that? Baffle diffraction?

mainframe

The crossover is at 700Hz, so what is going on at 1000Hz? Why does the directivity index dip like that? Baffle diffraction?
a phenomenon of the LR4 XO - the crossover has a 3db dip in sound power at the XO frequency resulting in the rise/wiggle in the DI jsut after the XO frequency

Last edited:

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
With this new data , I am curious to see the updated score?

Reactions: Pio

Zvu

I kinda don't quite like the measurements. The sound Erin claims to pop out more than usual could be an indicator.

When i look at horizontal off axis response, i see at 40° a peak at 5kHz that travels towards 3kHz as you move more and more off axis. An artifact not found in M2 or DIYSG 12.

While i do like the looks of spinorama, i think that this case is one of those where some flaws are hidden behind it and we get much better idea of performance by looking individual on and off axis curves rather than all those curves crunched into a single one.

We also don't see individual drivers and port responses, no waterfall, no EPDR so lots of stuff missing where clues might be found.

Last edited:

hvbias

Great review. I'm interested in these large format compression drivers/horn combinations that can crossover so low. Klipsch K402 using 1.5" or 2" exit compression driver also had that effortless, huge dynamic sound when played at any volume level. This was using hardware DSP for the crossover, they remain to this day the speakers that have impressed me more than all these smaller bookshelf sized DSP speakers for pure fidelity where size/aesthetics/cost aren't an issue.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I heard a pair a few years ago, albeit fleetingly and fell in love with them myself! So glad the measurements are pretty good (bloomin' incredible for the standards of passive speakers thirty years ago I reckon). I stood there (so not on axis) with tears in my eyes at the big hearted and 'intimate' quality a good big speaker gives that no piddly squeak-box can, no matter how well they measure on a Klippel :D

I feel envious of those with a bit of space to accommodate them (they're beer budget money in high end terms so will be avoided by the status symbol and cachet/price tag crowd) and hope the review will tempt more to investigate them, as a good BIG speaker just does things in ways I never seem able to achieve with smaller boxes. Thanks for sharing Erin's review and to Erin and the donor for going to the trouble! I just chuckle when I think of those half way up the UK plenty-box upgrade path having spent many multiples of the £12k cost of these and getting a way inferior sound quality compared to what these can give with sensible and not expensive amplification.

Last edited:

changer

Good point @Zvu. I learned from the video that the time frame was quite constrained and @hardisj worked through all the night to make this spin happen. So maybe this is why we don’t have individuell driver measurements, or do we, Erin? However, individual axes will be preserved and we can probably find them later in the graphs by maiky or pierre.

nerdoldnerdith

If this is the passive version of the JBL M2 and the JBL costs about $6000 per speaker wouldn't it better just to buy the JBL M2 and use your own active crossover? The M2 has better measurements all around IMO and doesn't have the weird directivity dip from the passive crossover.

nerdoldnerdith

The M2 has more cancelations and dips While the 4367 has a high frequency boost that is offset by the listening window. I would Hardly say the M2 has better measurements all around. SPECIALLY for an active design.

JBL%20M2%20FR_Linearity.png

JBL%204367%20FR_Linearity.png
I'm talking about off-axis measurements. It goes without saying that if you are using an active crossover you will be using EQ to fix any frequency response anomalies. The M2 has constant directivity from 700Hz on up while the 4367 has wonky directivity up to like 1800Hz apparently because of the passive crossover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom