• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 231 88.5%

• Total voters

RHO

Major Contributor
MQAphobia?
Nothing wrong with being critical about MQA. Especially when you have to pay extra for something that, most probably, makes your audio worse and is completely unnescesary.

kiyu

I just bought the X18, I should get it in 2 weeks.
X18 or D1SE ... I like the look of the Gustard much more but what else would make me get that beauty over the SMSL allrounder -- Remember guys, I AM the wife-factor that judges stuff by their look.

I was in the same spot, I decided to go with the Gustard, but d1se should be good as well, for the d1se I would like to try those sound colors (tube, rich, 1 more), but I also know that I will play with that 1 or 2 times and leave it on standard forever ..
there is an old post that I created some time ago, you can see the board of the d1se and compare it with su9 , is not a big difference is quite similar, the biggest difference is the toroidal transformer and the discrete components (which could be really good), but still not sure if those 2 things should cost 300$ (difference between su and d1se)
anyway I decided to go with Gustard

MalinYamato

I just bought the X18, I should get it in 2 weeks.

I was in the same spot, I decided to go with the Gustard, but d1se should be good as well, for the d1se I would like to try those sound colors (tube, rich, 1 more), but I also know that I will play with that 1 or 2 times and leave it on standard forever ..
there is an old post that I created some time ago, you can see the board of the d1se and compare it with su9 , is not a big difference is quite similar, the biggest difference is the toroidal transformer and the discrete components (which could be really good), but still not sure if those 2 things should cost 300$ (difference between su and d1se)
anyway I decided to go with Gustard
my female intuition says that I should get the X18 but about 4 reviewers give the D1SA high regard. I will primarily use it as a source for my ifi pro ICAN amp, thus for headphones and I am afraid that the DAC may be overkill.

RHO

Major Contributor
4 reviewers give the D1SA high regard
Why do they give the D1SA high regard?
Do they provide objective data or do they provide stories about how beautiful it sounds ... to them... while using their completely unreliable hearing ...and while you have no way to know if they are just saying things because it gives them more oportunity to review more stuff or are honestly telling you what they think they hear? And while you have no idea if you like the same thing they like if those experiences they have are even real? Or did they provide listening experiences while testing blind (this DAC > that DAC)?

edit: I noticed that in Europe the D1se is actually cheaper than the X18. It could be interesting to find some measurements for that DAC. I was looking at the much more expensive D1. I think in both cases (D1se and X18) you are looking at a DAC that is quite expensive for your use-case but at least the X18 is a great performer. I don't think you will hear any difference when using a great performing cheaper DAC. I have the feeling you are still stuck in the >$$$$$ = better dogma.

Last edited:

MalinYamato

Do they provide objective data or do they provide stories about how beautiful it sounds ... to them... while using their completely unreliable hearing ...and while you have no way to know if they are just saying things because it gives them more oportunity to review more stuff or are honestly telling you what they think they hear? And while you have no idea if you like the same thing they like if those experiences they have are even real? Or did they provide listening experiences while testing blind (this DAC > that DAC)?

edit: I noticed that in Europe the D1se is actually cheaper than the X18. It could be interesting to find some measurements for that DAC. I was looking at the much more expensive D1. I think in both cases (D1se and X18) you are looking at a DAC that is quite expensive for your use-case but at least the X18 is a great performer. I don't think you will hear any difference when using a great performing cheaper DAC. I have the feeling you are still stuck in the >$$$$$ = better dogma.
I don't know much about audio tech and I am stuck with trusting reviewers and you excellent guys here at ASR. hifi-express in Europa and hifigo in the US are having a 10% sale right now. Total including shipping and VAT: X18 sells for EUR 614 and D1SE for EUR 582 by hifigo US. hifi-express Europa delivers much faster and has a D1SE for EUR 580, not an X18 unfortunately. If X18 would weigh as little as D1SE and sell here in Europa at the same price, I would def go for Gustard X18 as my collective impression is that it is better wrt SQ. I have searched for quite a long time now and X18 seems to be the best below USD 1000, but I am like a gypsy moving between Japan and Europa and weight is important. Currently, I am doing research in Europa (AI applied to medicine) but will return in one year. I have two storage one in Stockholm and one in Tokyo with audio gear. In Sweden, I go with headphones and in Tokyo, I go with speakers as that is my base where I spend most of my time. I am getting a light DAC and D1SA is only 1.6 kg vs 2.5 of a Gustard X18. Your advice are very much appreciatred. :)

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
I am stuck with trusting reviewers
If they don't provide any objective data, you shouldn't trust them. ;)
I'm not saying there's no value in subjective experiences. But only with regards to ergonomics, features, ... maybe build quality.
Concerning sound, subjective experiences have very little value. For electronics I would say they have no value at all. For transducers (speakers, headphones) there can be some value but it still quite limited.

MalinYamato

If they don't provide any objective data, you shouldn't trust them. ;)
I'm not saying there's no value in subjective experiences. But only with regards to ergonomics, features, ... maybe build quality.
Concerning sound, subjective experiences have very little value. For electronics I would say they have no value at all. For transducers (speakers, headphones) there can be some value but it still quite limited.
because of all my confusion and uncertainty wrt electronics, my life is extremely hard in this audio land. :(

Guys, do you know how much an X18 DUC weighs? According to the spec, it weighs 2.5 kg with everything, including packaging. Please totally undress the X18 with all packaging and auxiliaries and tell me how much it weighs?

RHO

Major Contributor
because of all my confusion and uncertainty wrt electronics, my life is extremely hard in this audio land. :(

Guys, do you know how much an X18 DUC weighs? According to the spec, it weighs 2.5 kg with everything, including packaging. Please totally undress the X18 with all packaging and auxiliaries and tell me how much it weighs?
If weight is such an important parameter why not look for something smaller? Topping E50 for instance?

kiyu

d1se
objetive and subjetive
there is the review and the measurements
not as good as x18 but not bad either 118 -120 sinad

but if you want to see the data is on the fist link,
also L7 wolf also measure it, long time ago ;) hope that helps

Reactions: RHO

MalinYamato

Well, Gustard X18 is clearly the better DAC and I love it, I am convinced. However, I am ordering a D1SE based on other considerations. This DAC is light, in Europa and will feed my IFI Pro iCAN signature for the time being. Currently, I am feeding my IFI Pro iCAN signature with a tone 2 pro and the DAC is great but not better than what SMSL may provide. My main headphones are LCD-5 and Denon AH-D9200 and the former respond really well to tweeks.
ifi.jpg

flz

Well, Gustard X18 is clearly the better DAC and I love it, I am convinced. However, I am ordering a D1SE based on other considerations. This DAC is light, in Europa and will feed my IFI Pro iCAN signature for the time being. Currently, I am feeding my IFI Pro iCAN signature with a tone 2 pro and the DAC is great but not better than what SMSL may provide. My main headphones are LCD-5 and Denon AH-D9200 and the former respond really well to tweeks.
View attachment 196786
If you want light weight, there are other choices that also measure very well (as measured by Amir on ASR) and should sound just as good. For example, I'm very happy with my SMSL Su-9n which weighs 0.79kg. There are other choices even lighter. So I agree with RHO's post above (#448). Or, do you think you can hear a difference between 123 & 120 SINAD DAC? good luck with that!

Last edited:
Reactions: RHO

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gustard X18 measurements by GoldenSound:

MalinYamato

Very good performance ;)
do you think I should have gotten a X18 instead of D1SE? D1SE I can get cheaply and easily through Mandy @ hifi express in Europa but the Gustard I have to import from the US, which takes about 3 weeks to reach me. D1SE: USD 720, X18: USD 750

Veri

Master Contributor
do you think I should have gotten a X18 instead of D1SE? D1SE I can get cheaply and easily through Mandy @ hifi express in Europa but the Gustard I have to import from the US, which takes about 3 weeks to reach me. D1SE: USD 720, X18: USD 750
The X18 is heavy though, right? You will need a man to carry it around the house ;) D1SE is lighter, I think you already took it into consideration :D [this is just going with what's been said don't take me seriously LOL]

MalinYamato

The X18 is heavy though, right? You will need a man to carry it around the house ;) D1SE is lighter, I think you already took it into consideration :D [this is just going with what's been said don't take me seriously LOL]
I was talking about X26 as heavy... which one would you pick of them two, X18 or D1SE? X18 looks nicer ... but ... does it sound better? ASR ppl here say that D1SE looks messy inside but I don't know what is considered messy on the board and how that matter to SQ. Yes, looking at the pcb of X18 it looks tidy but I dont know... D1SE has a big transformer that is said to be better,,,, is said to be made in Norway if that matters? Hmm?

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
I was talking about X26 as heavy... which one would you pick of them two, X18 or D1SE? X18 looks nicer ... but ... does it sound better? ASR ppl here say that D1SE looks messy inside but I don't know what is considered messy on the board and how that matter to SQ. Yes, looking at the pcb of X18 it looks tidy but I dont know... D1SE has a big transformer that is said to be better,,,, is said to be made in Norway if that matters? Hmm?
You can get the X18 from hifistudio79.nl or Audiophonics, both trusted retailers in Europe.
The Gustard X18 has a slightly more powerful transformer and a very stable housing, which accounts for the higher weight of approx. 1.9 kg.
I think you would be happy with both the D1SE and the X18. If you want to take the DAC with you more often, you should still check whether the transformer on the D1SE is only screwed to the circuit board or also to the housing. Perhaps an owner can post a picture of the underside of the case. With the X18, the transformer is screwed directly to the housing.

kiyu

just got mine
1649442941291.png

unfortunately until, 3, 4 hours I won't be able to test it as I have to continue working... I am so exited to connect everything.
We will see

MalinYamato

just got mine
View attachment 198547

unfortunately until, 3, 4 hours I won't be able to test it as I have to continue working... I am so exited to connect everything.
We will see
if it wasn't as heavy I would have picked that one....enjoy :)

Top Bottom