• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is your equipment on the floor?

JWAmerica

aynr1Ue.jpg
giphy.gif

... said never "is that a speaker cable in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?".

JSmith
As a connoisseur of idiocy, this image absolutely made my day. I love it. It's now my desktop wallpaper.

LarryRS

I won't link the video so no views are sent to it, but ol' Paul claims they don't care about dust and dirt at PS Audio when equipment is on the floor... supposedly it adds to the imaging.

JSmith
I really hate to belabor the obvious here, but cheap shots seem to have become the norm on this forum.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... this is why electricity transport is done at 750kV instead of 120V.
No, that's to avoid overhead wires ten times thicker than suspension bridge cables. Volts high, amps low, remember?

And with respect, your premise is wrong. Every record you have ever enjoyed has been made with line-level cables often hundreds of feet long. Somehow the volts made it through!

JWAmerica

No, that's to avoid overhead wires ten times thicker than suspension bridge cables. Volts high, amps low, remember?

And with respect, your premise is wrong. Every record you have ever enjoyed has been made with line-level cables often hundreds of feet long. Somehow the volts made it through!
RIP to all the watts lost to resistance.
#NEVERFORGET ✊

LarryRS

Very nice looking. You have the perfect reason for keeping your monoblocks off the floor. Those Macs meters are definitely nice looking enough to want to keep them prominent.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hi Kal, no I don't have any supporting data and I invite you to provide us yours. My reasoning is simply based on the law that a low amplitude voltage is likely to be more affected by its transmission line than a higher one; this is why electricity transport is done at 750kV instead of 120V.
I have no direct references at hand because I am not willing to make the effort.

Speaker cables must convey power. Increasing their length and resistance will reduce the current as well as reduce damping with typically reactive speaker loads.
(See here: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-damping-factor-isnt-much-of-a-factor)
Increasing the voltage to improve efficiency (and save on copper) is not an available option for us.

Interconnects convey voltage into better defined and more resistive loads.

Neither approximates a true transmission line.

morpheusX

What about a "DIY" (or Done By Others) furniture, that seems a regular furniture, but is indeed 4 18" subwoofers, hidden in plain sight :cool: ?

UbdpgyL.png

1) and 2) have already a BMS 18N862, the others 3) and 4), waiting for cash, as well as an AV that accepts 4 sub inputs and corrects them separately, as MSO or Dirac Live Bass Control.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have no direct references at hand because I am not willing to make the effort.

Speaker cables must convey power. Increasing their length and resistance will reduce the current as well as reduce damping with typically reactive speaker loads.
(See here: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-damping-factor-isnt-much-of-a-factor)
Increasing the voltage to improve efficiency (and save on copper) is not an available option for us.

In the big picture I believe your probably right Kal.
But if the cable for either application is correctly spec'd and of some reasonable lengths, and the input and output impedances of the involved gear was intelligently designed, as far as being an audible issue, there shouldn't be any problems.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
In the big picture I believe your probably right Kal.
But if the cable for either application is correctly spec'd and of some reasonable lengths, and the input and output impedances of the involved gear was intelligently designed, as far as being an audible issue, there shouldn't be any problems.
Sure. I don't believe that any of this is would be the basis of setup/wiring choices in most domestic systems. Even though my wiring arrangements accord to these principles, the actual decisions were based on ergonomics/aesthetics. A full rack of equipment near the listening position and the placement of multiple monobloc amps behind the speakers dictated use of long (balanced) interconnects and short speaker cables.

Sined

Thanks. Very informative !

BeepPeep_61

20220407_183752.jpg
20220407_183812.jpg
20220407_183825.jpg
20220407_183727.jpg
Good evening ClearNFC, It is a DIY device that serves to turn on the audio / video system on different groups, using a power relay controlled by the front switches. Also on the display you can view the power supply voltage, the absorbed amps or watts or the load cosφ, in practice a simplified electrical network analyzer

wus

Even though my wiring arrangements accord to these principles, the actual decisions were based on ergonomics/aesthetics. A full rack of equipment near the listening position and the placement of multiple monobloc amps behind the speakers dictated use of long (balanced) interconnects and short speaker cables.
Wasn't it the other way round - you placed the monobloc amps behind the speakers because you wanted speaker cables to be as short - and, thus, as low resistance - as possible, which dictated long interconnects, which needed to be of the balanced type to avoid interference induced on it deteriorate the signal - ?

Last edited:

wus

index.php

@beeppeep61: interesting - did you describe it somewhere? Or do you have a link, where you got the idea(s) for it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom