• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR-Research "Little Giant Killer 2.0"

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So i saw this video of Danny presenting his new "Little Gian Killer 2.0", a 3" wideband speaker box he developed:

The kit without case costs almost 280 US, so i thought to myself "Maybe you can just ignore the pricey filter parts and use a MiniDSP instead".

So i asked him:
1649073791374.png

He didn't like it.

So, do MiniDSPs really suck the life out of the music?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So the filter costs $ 209,10 a pair :oops:

Get the miniDSP!

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

It's part of a special code used by industry insiders...

You have to replace 'life' with 'money,' and 'the music' with 'my pocket.' Only then can you decode the true meaning.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

kongwee

Major Contributor
I won't use any DSP or even bother. The graph look good enough.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I won't use any DSP or even bother. The graph look good enough.
How do you know that it looks like that on your desk?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've gotta say -- using DSP on a "design" like this one (i.e., a FR driver in a little box) would be (i.e., could be) a great acid test of the two dueling approaches to the same basic challenge. Wouldn't it be fun to compare (both objectively and subjectively*) a filter/contour networked morph vs. a DSP'd, network-free morph? :)

image0000001-2.png

84 dB sensitivity!?! :(

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Have you, or anyone else here on ASR done an ABX with a mini-dsp (flat) in and out of circuit?? Have they published the results for peer review? Ha. I doubt it.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh, allow me to take a momentary digression* to share my philosophy about crossovers. :rolleyes:
The idea of passive XOs in loudspeakers (i.e., contouring networks that have to sink large amounts of electrical power) has long struck me as a dumb idea. Passive or active, analog or digital -- doesn't it make more sense in terms of component cost and (electrical) efficiency to do the "crossover" stuff at line level rather than at full power?

Full disclosure: I am still using singly-amped loudspeakers with passive XOs -- but that's mostly because I am nothing** if not preternaturally lazy. :facepalm:

kongwee

Major Contributor
I've gotta say -- using DSP on a "design" like this one (i.e., a FR driver in a little box) would be (i.e., could be) a great acid test of the two dueling approaches to the same basic challenge. Wouldn't it be fun to compare (both objectively and subjectively*) a filter/contour networked morph vs. a DSP'd, network-free morph? :)

image0000001-2.png

84 dB sensitivity!?! :(

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Have you, or anyone else here on ASR done an ABX with a mini-dsp (flat) in and out of circuit?? Have they published the results for peer review? Ha. I doubt it.
Not quite sure how to quantify life (or, more to the point, the magnitude of life suckout).
I think "we" would need the machine that goes ping (from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life).
Someone'll have to start a kickstarter campaign to fund one for @amirm...

:cool:

(ok -- I'll stop now...)

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All i read is you having doubts. Danny knows.
HE KNOWS!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
3"inch, you can't play very loud.
There are more sensitive 3" drivers (although 4" is probably more practical... boxes full of sensitive 4" "Fullrange" drivers here).

Hoffman's Iron Law applies, but... sure, you can. You just can't play loud and low (frequencies).

The famous, or perhaps infamous, PartsExpress (Pioneer OEM) 269-469 4-inch 69-cent wonder. A remarkably pleasant little "fullrange" driver that's also sensitive enough for 'fleapower' amplification.

Loathecliff

I can see it clearly. That instant moment of a fait accom.
I present:-
The Amstrad Amazon Basics GR Signature speaker £29.99, the pair

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think small wideband speakers may have potential in the nearfield and with DSPing. You have to wonder why there are no comercial solutions like it.
Just add a tweeter and it works fine.:p

Top Bottom