• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Benchmark AHB2, in mono mode, really better than my Mark Levinson No. 536 monoblocks?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am not sure there are any pure class B amplifiers for consumer audio any more. Class A even for a few watts is to eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) crossover distortion, small glitches that appear each time the signal crosses 0 V as it swings from (+) to (-) and back. These glitches tend to be short, which means they generate a series of distortion components, not all harmonically related to the signal. Feedback reduces them, and Benchmark claims their circuit essentially eliminates crossover distortion. Most competent AB amps do not exhibit significant crossover distortion IME -- feedback kills them along with other distortion.

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
It does not break up the sine wave like other class does. Someone will bite me for this immediately.
That argument doesn't hold up, that was already explained to you in the other threat I just referenced. So your trolling.

jae

Major Contributor
I fully agree but I would not set such a limit. I think almost all systems would gain sound quality when using good active speakers. Their price/performance relation is very hard to beat.
I agree, I was moreso thinking from the perspective of needing to have external amplification/wiring for all of them and the whole logistics of multi-channel amplification, seems like it would be a mess especially with multiple devices, monoblocks etc. If OP did not already have expensive passives that are quite capable, I would be suggesting to go the active route. Actives are one of the few ways he could elevate the setup, and much cheaper at that.

OP
J

JasonH

I agree, I was moreso thinking from the perspective of needing to have external amplification/wiring for all of them and the whole logistics of multi-channel amplification, seems like it would be a mess especially with multiple devices, monoblocks etc. If OP did not already have expensive passives that are quite capable, I would be suggesting to go the active route. Actives are one of the few ways he could elevate the setup, and much cheaper at that.
Honestly, I’ve imagined selling my traditional HiFi and going with the higher end B&O active stuff. The experience of listening to traditional 2 Ch. HiFi in a large real living space has me considering that option vs. moving my traditional HiFi to a dedicated/treated room where I would go listen by myself. :)

jae

Major Contributor
Honestly, I’ve imagined selling my traditional HiFi and going with the higher end B&O active stuff. The experience of listening to traditional 2 Ch. HiFi in a large real living space has me considering that option vs. moving my traditional HiFi to a dedicated/treated room where I would go listen by myself. :)
The expensive B&O active towers look interesting. Would love to see more data from some of the more hefty contenders. Genelec 8351b + W371A, D&D 8C, Kii Three+bxt, ggntkt m2/m3 are all interesting options as well that are lauded here and have the numbers to back them up too. You could definitely have your cake and eat it too- keep your Revel, replace the more expensive amps with Benchmark/Purifi, sell the expensive amps and unused gear to fund your foray into actives in dedicated listening room at less cost. At least that's what I'd consider.

https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/scores.html is a good resource if you're looking at narrowing down or comparing speakers

PGAMiami

I’m using 4 AHB2s, all in bridged mono, on a pair of TAD R1s in an active biamp setup. The crossover is a Pass XVR1 that Andrew Jones, who designed the R1s, set up. They sound fantastic. Interestingly, Andrew’s twin brother designed the AHB2. These are the best amps I’ve had. prior the biamp setup, I used 2 in bridged mono, and 4 in bridged mono, passive bi amp.

These amps replaced Constellation Centaur monos, that sell for 10x the price. The Centraurs were the best amps I had prior to the ABH2s. This includes a long list of monos, including Cello, Levinson, Spectral, Pass and MSB. The AHB2s combine the transparency of Spectral, the timbral texture and color of Constellation, the shear power of Levinson and Cello, the smoothness of Pass and the dynamics of MSB. They are insanely free of noise and distortion. Not the least bit harsh. A bargain. Only complaint may be that they are quite ugly compared to the Centaurs, that are a work of art. But they do sound much better than anything I’ve had.

OP
J

JasonH

I’m using 4 AHB2s, all in bridged mono, on a pair of TAD R1s in an active biamp setup. The crossover is a Pass XVR1 that Andrew Jones, who designed the R1s, set up. They sound fantastic. Interestingly, Andrew’s twin brother designed the AHB2. These are the best amps I’ve had. prior the biamp setup, I used 2 in bridged mono, and 4 in bridged mono, passive bi amp.

These amps replaced Constellation Centaur monos, that sell for 10x the price. The Centraurs were the best amps I had prior to the ABH2s. This includes a long list of monos, including Cello, Levinson, Spectral, Pass and MSB. The AHB2s combine the transparency of Spectral, the timbral texture and color of Constellation, the shear power of Levinson and Cello, the smoothness of Pass and the dynamics of MSB. They are insanely free of noise and distortion. Not the least bit harsh. A bargain. Only complaint may be that they are quite ugly compared to the Centaurs, that are a work of art. But they do sound much better than anything I’ve had.
This is very interesting and reassuring. Your setups are top notch. TAD! I’m more surprised you swapped from Constellation than by my own willingness to give them a shot over Levinson. Benchmark should ship them soon. I’m eager to find out for myself.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning

But you did not own Gryphon. That"s mistake...

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also haven’t owned the recent vintage of Bryston amps which are also excellent.
Maybe.... Anyway AHB2 in active biamp should be class of it's own and not very expensive. 4 Gryphon mephistos would cost arm and leg...
Do you feel AHB2 lacking somewhat is timbre similar to perfect measuring class D amps?

Last edited:

PGAMiami

I haven’t heard digital amps in over 10 years, back when I owned a pair of Bel Canto Ref1000. Those were quite good. The Centaurs replaced them and are better. I expect digital amps have improved since.

The AHB2 essentially are totally noise and distortion free until they clip and then they quickly turn off. I’ve only had that happen once. And it was because the volume was incorrectly set very high and a very loud bass passage was played. Other than that they are pretty much a straight wire with gain from the first watt to the last. That’s been measured by many and is also what I’ve experienced listening to them.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Benchmark AHB2 is the one of of the best amps currently available, if not the outright best. This is simply objective truth, if you fall into the camp that believes amplifiers should have a certain sound signature, there are plenty of poorly designed options available for you.

If an amp that sounds different was designed for that sound signature, it isn't "poorly designed;" it hit it's design target.

Design goals matter in evaluating the success of a design.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW: I have a Benchmark LA4 preamp and a Conrad Johnson Premier 16LS2 tube preamp. Subjective impressions are that the Benchmark is more neutral and transparent to the source. (Which doesn't mean I automatically like it better, but I do very much like what I'm hearing).

OP
J

JasonH

I upset my plans. After three weeks of waiting, I cancelled the AHB2 order. Benchmark told me the wait would be that long and they were just about to ship when I cancelled. I instead purchased the Dutch & Dutch 8c speakers. I can say the D&D are very nice but the software is not as good as it should be for a $15k pair. Also, the Revel F328Be are simply more powerful and just as clear. I may still get the Benchmarks at some point but after considering all the available data I suspect I wouldn’t notice an improvement over my ML monos. So, for now, I’ve got to busy myself likely returning the D&D and going back to my Revel+ML setup.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I may still get the Benchmarks at some point but after considering all the available data I suspect I wouldn’t notice an improvement over my ML monos.
Quite possible.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Recordings vary so wildly so using the amp as a tone control is futile use actual tone controls or EQ .

That's not my experience.

Presuming we are talking using tone controls/EQ to alter the sound to taste (rather than as part of DSPing for neutrality):

1. If you are using the EQ to make an overall adjustment, then that's essentially the same situation as an amp creating a constant tone control.
(Someone will say "but you can at least defeat the EQ" but the point is if you leave it ON then it's the same as introducing a constant coloration).

2. If you are instead going to adjust EQ "per the program material," e.g. on specific tracks, albums or whatever, then many people just don't want to be that finicky.

I had an EQ in my system for many years and found little use for it. I found the coloration from my tube amps enhanced everything the way I liked it. In that way, it was a much easier "set and forget" way to have the sound I like, rather than fiddling with EQ.

To each his own, of course.

BTW, as to the question from the OP, my money would be on little to no sonic difference between the Benchmark and the Levinson. I'd think
both are well designed solid state amps.

Kijanki

Many people like the 2nd harmonic distortion it adds which has a pleasing character
Yes, added even harmonics can sound warm, often covering system deficiency like, for instance, bright metal dome tweeter, but also can produce bad outcome. Piano overtones don't follow exact multiples like harmonics, but are stretched. This stretching can cause beating between piano overtones and added harmonics making piano sound less real - in extreme case like out of tune. Also, unique Clarinet sound contains only odd harmonics. Is it still Clarinet, when system adds some even harmonics or Clarinet in 80% ?

JSmith

Master Contributor
bright metal dome tweeter

JSmith

Top Bottom