• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have been lucky enough to spend time with both. Ignoring other factors if I were to chose based on my own subjective experience it would be the DD8c for sure. I simply enjoyed it more.

CMB

I have been lucky enough to spend time with both. Ignoring other factors if I were to chose based on my own subjective experience it would be the DD8c for sure. I simply enjoyed it more.
I respect that.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can u state some of the reasons u went for the 8361 over the DD8c?
Are you with the SEC, or running from it?

I think if I used your handle on line I'd be out of a job.

Reactions: CMB

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The 8Cs have 24 peq filters and tone controls, bass output, delay for the mid and treble are adjusted when you set the speakers position via its app , distance from front and side walls listening triangle etc.
Keith

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
Just for reference. The Genelec S360-444B won’t work with 8361s if you want <5 degrees tilt-down. The weight of the speaker pulls it down quite a bit at the horizontal adjustment. It’s still in tolerance according to genelec support but I just expect the possibility of 0 tilt if advertised.

As for the Audiophonics aes shield. Are the problems with distros like ropieee solved? I’m using a pi with Fiio 10k currently, since it was the only coax interface I had handy right now

nerdoldnerdith

Btw does d&d8c have something like glm which evens out the frequency response with dsp?
It actually has something a bit better IMO. You can connect the monitors to your local area network over ethernet and access them by going to a website. You don't have to purchase an external box and daisy chain them together like you do with Genelecs.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hopefully we might have the 8361s here in the not too distant future, we can run a direct comparison.
Keith

MBI

MBI

You heard both side by side?
Yes, in the same room, with and without GLM calibration, with and without a Genelec SAM sub, as well as next to 8361A with or without W371A. 8351B sounded great, as far as my ears could subjectively tell. 8361A sounded way bigger compared to 8351B without and with SAM sub (can't remember which), and 8361A sounded even bigger with W371A (of course). The step between the two is important in the bass region. The 8361A is more powerful, much more in the bass region. Measures must indicate this, don't they? Don't know how they compare to Dutch.

nerdoldnerdith

Yes, in the same room, with and without GLM calibration, with and without a Genelec SAM sub, as well as next to 8361A with or without W371A. 8351B sounded great, as far as my ears could subjectively tell. 8361A sounded way bigger compared to 8351B without and with SAM sub (can't remember which), and 8361A sounded even bigger with W371A (of course). The step between the two is important in the bass region. The 8361A is more powerful, much more in the bass region. Measures must indicate this, don't they? Don't know how they compare to Dutch.
I'm crossing over with subs at 120Hz, so the difference in deep bass probably isn't as important for me.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

MBI

I'm crossing over with subs at 120Hz, so the difference in deep bass probably isn't as important for me.
As explained, I listened to 8351B with SAM sub. Still not as good as 8361A alone (without A371A). But good still, as far as I could subjectively tell.

nerdoldnerdith

As explained, I listened to 8351B with SAM sub. Still not as good as 8361A alone (without A371A). But good still, as far as I could subjectively tell.
Maybe I will have to upgrade at some point. Right now I am quite satisfied with the 8351B's though. I can crank it up loud without the woofers throwing in the towel.

At what frequency were the crossed over when you listened?

MBI

Maybe I will have to upgrade at some point. Right now I am quite satisfied with the 8351B's though. I can crank it up loud without the woofers throwing in the towel.
I wouldn't update anything if your listening room isn't hudge. 8351B surely is sufficient for many rooms, even more so with a sub. I chose 8361A for a future larger location. In my today 18m² living room, 8361As are way too powerful for my ears and close neighbours (and not so close ones too as a matter of fact - I tried to crank it up once, will not do it again).

At what frequency were the crossed over when you listened?
I don't remember, if I ever asked, sorry. It was in a studio monitor dedicated section of a music instrument shop.

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
I wouldn't update anything if your listening room isn't hudge. 8351B surely is sufficient for many rooms, even more so with a sub. I chose 8361A for a future larger location. In my today 18m² living room, 8361As are way too powerful for my ears and close neighbours (and not so close ones too as a matter of fact - I tried to crank it up once, will not do it again).

I don't remember, if I ever asked, sorry. It was in a studio monitor dedicated section of a music instrument shop.
That was my thinking exactly. I'm not planing to upgrade anytime soon. I decided to add a small bass shelf on top of the glm calibration for casual listening at lower spl.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
How would the 8361 compare to something like the Kanta 2 SPL wise and bass output wise?
They cost about the same.
Screenshot_20220403-212546_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: CMB
Top Bottom