• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest NRG-X3 Review (AC Power Cord)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money

Votes: 324 89.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Sorry is not the word I would use.
If the power out of each cord is identical there can be no audible difference.
If a device provides the same signal with each cord there can be no difference.

We are measuring a 60 Hz signal and harmonics plus noise.
That is all. Not MHz, not the speed of light, not the gravitational force.
There is NOTHING in this domain that can't be measured.

How do you think we manage 1,000's of sq miles of a power grid with interties to others? You realize an a xxx GW grid a differenence of 0.01 Hz will appear as a short circuit?

It is not unknown magic, it is well established, century old fundamental engineering.
We did not get to the moon, electrification of the world, etc., without this being dead b@ll$ accurate.
Plus we went to the moon with thousands of slide rules being used. They had an accuracy directly related to the shakiness of the user lining everything up correctly. Those moon shots are AMAZING that we didn't have lots of failures. Every launch the astronauts risked their lives, big time!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your completely closed mind about cables means that, if they are of any benefit, you will never know.
Amir got the cable with his money to measure on his own time to verify the claim the cable reduces distortion. It didn't.
What else is he supposed to do?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The old 'you never tried it' nugget is amusing.

I have never jumped off a bridge.
But yet, I know I will fall.
I have never seen anyone jump off a bridge. (Thankfully)
How do I know what will happen?
Physics
How long, how fast, the force, etc.

I do not need to 'listen' to a power cord to know it can't make a difference.

I would like to see a correlation of:
Cable believers, % of engineers, EE, credentialed, not self anointed.
vs
Non-believers

The 'you don't have an open mind to new experiences' is a trope too. Lol
Wait! What? OMG! You mean I can't use my self credentialed EE degree and my other PhD degrees on ASR? I am so screwed. I will now sulk off and think about my predicament!:oops::oops::facepalm:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait! What? OMG! You mean I can't use my self credentialed EE degree and my other PhD degrees on ASR? I am so screwed. I will now sulk off and think about my predicament!:oops::oops::facepalm:
Just be open minded, bro. :p

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Plus we went to the moon with thousands of slide rules being used. They had an accuracy directly related to the shakiness of the user lining everything up correctly. Those moon shots are AMAZING that we didn't have lots of failures. Every launch the astronauts risked their lives, big time!
Have 3 guys do the calculation.
Have 3 check each
Take the average of the closest 2
:)

Ingenieur

Would you have a more open mind about windows if the building was on fire and there was a swimming pool below? That’s the problem with generalisations made without context.

Your completely closed mind about cables means that, if they are of any benefit, you will never know. Same with regenerators.
No
The result is the same.
The swimming pool and window are mutually exclusive.

That's like saying a power cord that is plugged in is different than one that is not.
Absurd

I evaluate cables and power equipment for a living.
I approach each with 'an open mind' or more accurately, no preconceived notions.
But the result is ALWAYS the same unless the cable is faulted or damaged.

Your expectation bias is worse.
You EXPECT change, so even if not physically possible, you 'hear' one.
And it can never be refuted 'cause it's all in your noggin'.
Trying to prove a negative.
Imagination.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Have 3 guys do the calculation.
Have 3 check each
Take the average of the closest 2
:)
Think of all of the tolerance stacking issues they dealt with all the time without the sweet digital probe sensing systems of today. I tip my hat to all those men and women. They succeeded when working without the extreme precision of today.

CinDyment

It was the same test.
Scores declined
People are not 'dumber', just less educated.

I have no idea of what you mean by 'pinnacle' of intelligence. The Intelligent go into all areas of education. Still do.

It's the SAT. It is not "static", it is different every year.

They are not less educated. Arguably they are more educated. However, the participation in university level education has grown considerably, while intelligence has not climbed. It is totally understandable that results would go down.

In the 70's - early 90's, EE attracted the brightest students out of high school, on level with those who eventually went into law, if not medicine. It certainly attracted the brightest, on average, of major non-medical STEM programs. That is no longer true. While top schools will still attract top students, where EE sits in attracting the best and brightest has declined considerably.

CinDyment

Your completely closed mind about cables means that, if they are of any benefit, you will never know. Same with regenerators.

YOU keep misinterpreting education, experience, and intelligence as "lack of open mind". When you get cancer (I hope you don't), be sure to tell your doctor that as you explore homeopathy and other "alternative" treatments. It's not going to be "joe public" that develops a new "alternative" and successful cancer treatment. It is going to be a seriously educated researcher. Ditto for cables. I did a survey on Audiophiles North America on Facebook and asked what would change your mind about cables. The cable believers literally said "NOTHING". That was their by far majority answer. Talk about closed minded. What was the technical people's answer? ..... A technical explanation of how a cable could be audible. They didn't even need to hear the difference themselves. They just needed a viable reason. They are open to the possibility, but absent any evidence, and be honest, without validated blind testing, there is no evidence, they don't accept the claims.

Ingenieur

Redundancy and a tolerance to error :)
My 'calculator'
No battery required, it's brain powered ;)

F1CC481B-7120-47BC-93AF-518597C812DB.jpeg

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
YOU keep misinterpreting education, experience, and intelligence as "lack of open mind". When you get cancer (I hope you don't), be sure to tell your doctor that as you explore homeopathy and other "alternative" treatments. It's not going to be "joe public" that develops a new "alternative" and successful cancer treatment. It is going to be a seriously educated researcher. Ditto for cables. I did a survey on Audiophiles North America on Facebook and asked what would change your mind about cables. The cable believers literally said "NOTHING". That was their by far majority answer. Talk about closed minded. What was the technical people's answer? ..... A technical explanation of how a cable could be audible. They didn't even need to hear the difference themselves. They just needed a viable reason. They are open to the possibility, but absent any evidence, and be honest, without validated blind testing, there is no evidence, they don't accept the claims.
OMG, you are bringing facts and common sense to the internet?? :facepalm:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
My 'calculator'
No battery required, it's brain powered ;)

View attachment 197438
I now need the obligatory magnifying glass to read it! Eyes are not what they used to be. In fact, nothing on my body is what it used to be. I do have to say that is one cool pic! I wonder if newly graduated engineers even know that slide rules existed? Hmmm.

Ingenieur

It's the SAT. It is not "static", it is different every year.

They are not less educated. Arguably they are more educated. However, the participation in university level education has grown considerably, while intelligence has not climbed. It is totally understandable that results would go down.

In the 70's - early 90's, EE attracted the brightest students out of high school, on level with those who eventually went into law, if not medicine. It certainly attracted the brightest, on average, of major non-medical STEM programs. That is no longer true. While top schools will still attract top students, where EE sits in attracting the best and brightest has declined considerably.

It is static for long periods on time.
It is 'revised' when scores get too low.
Less educated.
Not their fault, it is the system.
Higher education enrollment has grown but so has population.

Please do not equate law with STEM.
Medicine has not typically attracted the 'brightest, but the driven.
Physics drew the 'brightest' on raw brain power.

Ingenieur

I now need the obligatory magnifying glass to read it! Eyes are not what they used to be. In fact, nothing on my body is what it used to be. I do have to say that is one cool pic! I wonder if newly graduated engineers even know that slide rules existed? Hmmm.
I use one of these too. RPN ftw

A prof once told us when calculators were first becoming affordable:
Draw a picture of the system
Label it
Show your work, if you make a mistake you can see where and he can give partial credit. Can't do that with only a 'number'.

A wrong answer to 4 decimal places is still a wrong answer. A correct one to 1 significant digit is still correct.

D8D040FA-6860-4C58-9CD6-D73BAD6A30B1.jpeg

Last edited:

CinDyment

It is static for long periods on time.
It is 'revised' when scores get too low.
Less educated.
Not their fault, it is the system.
Higher education enrollment has grown but so has population.

Please do not equate law with STEM.
Medicine has not typically attracted the 'brightest, but the driven.
Physics drew the 'brightest' on raw brain power.

Sorry but this is wrong on many count. Not just enrolment has increased, but the percentage of the population attending higher education has grown significantly. So has education level. However, absent intelligence increase, there is no reason not to expect SAT to go down.

That said, the SAT has, in the mind of many experts fundamentally changed, shifting almost more towards knowledge, easily obtained by simply studying, and less a test of raw underlying ability.

I never equated law with STEM. I recognized that Law is a career that traditionally attracted people of high intelligence.

Medicine has absolutely attracted, on average, the brightest. Perhaps not the Einsteins, but on average highly intelligent people near the top of any professions.

At the PhD level, Physics draws perhaps those with the highest abilities in many measures of intelligence. Of all those with Physics degrees? No.

DonR

Major Contributor
Critical thinking skills appear, to me, to have fallen over the last 30 years. Perhaps it is no surprise that snake oil like power cables has risen in tandem.

CinDyment

Critical thinking skills appear, to me, to have fallen over the last 30 years. Perhaps it is no surprise that snake oil like power cables has risen in tandem.

Arrogance and a need to assert control more so than critical thinking.

Top Bottom