• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

10-year-old Revel Salon2 ?

Nicolas

Forum Donor
Hello and thank you for having a look at this,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 10-year-old pair of Salon2 in good condition for roughly half the list price.
I am looking for new high-end loudspeakers - a major, long-term purchase for me - and did not consider this model because : too expensive, somewhat older design nearing end of sales, and most likely unavailable at this time in Europe.
Still, this is uncommon enough here to at least contemplate the possibility.

Does anyone have an idea of how well these speakers hold over time ? What kind of useful life expectancy am I looking at ?
Also, I'd be interested in experiences good and bad with Revel after-sales/servicing in Europe... if any: their presence here seem tenuous at best.

Thanks !

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor

I have an opportunity to purchase a 10-year-old pair of Salon2 for roughly half the list price.In my search for new loudspeakers

I wouldn't consider that a great deal. It's not unusual to be able to purchase a new pair for approximately 40% off. Depending on usage and where they were stored the speakers could need repair sooner than you would like. As the speaker gets older it becomes harder to find exact parts and replacement drivers are expensive. I would suggest getting competitive bids for a new pair and weigh that in your decision making. Expect half the life expectancy in 10 year old speakers versus new. If you are 70 years old maybe that doesn't matter. :D

OP
N

Nicolas

Forum Donor
Thank you both for your answers [edit: apparently one was deleted in the meantime].
Although I liked the idea of owning such outstanding speakers, after looking around it does indeed not look like a good deal, and I'll let it pass.
I arranged a demo of the f328be next month; I'll see where that leads me...

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
the salon 2 is a better speaker than the 328be for the same money. The problem I found with the salon 2 is the amp I was using to drive them (see sig) rated 250/425 wpc didn't have the juice to get the spec'd output from the speakers. If you can give each speaker 500 wpc I think they would out perform most other speakers new or used you could grab for $10k.

warthor

Since you are in the EU it seems you might be able to get a good deal on the KEF Blade 1 or 2 (non meta). A number of these have come up half off in the US because people are chasing that 1-2% upgrade on the new Meta models. Those models still measure very well.

steve59

Major Contributor
The blade are much easier to drive and the drivers are better integrated, but $10k a pair? doubtful.

Lsc

Thank you both for your answers [edit: apparently one was deleted in the meantime].
Although I liked the idea of owning such outstanding speakers, after looking around it does indeed not look like a good deal, and I'll let it pass.
I arranged an demo of the f328be next month; I'll see where that leads me...
The F328Be is probably your best bet for new Revels especially if you are risk averse.

I went with the salons because I had the F208 and F228Be so the F328Be would have been a third speaker with the same basic cabinet design that I thought was good on the F208 but less so on the F228Be as it’s double the cost.

The Salon2 is a phenomenal speaker (especially the bass) with the build quality to match. I’m sure they would last 20 more years under normal operating conditions. But Revel says F328Be is better so take that for what it’s worth (real or marketing).

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I cant speak for the market outside the US, 1/2 for a 10year old pair is not a great deal. I sold mine, less than 1 year old for just slightly more than 1/2 off. I have seen them (less than 10 years old) going for $8k in good shape

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I have an opportunity to purchase a 10-year-old pair of Salon2 in good condition for roughly half the list price.
I am looking for new high-end loudspeakers - a major, long-term purchase for me - and did not consider this model because : too expensive, somewhat older design nearing end of sales, and most likely unavailable at this time in Europe.
Still, this is uncommon enough here to at least contemplate the possibility.

Does anyone have an idea of how well these speakers hold over time ? What kind of useful life expectancy am I looking at ?
Also, I'd be interested in experiences good and bad with Revel after-sales/servicing in Europe... if any: their presence here seem tenuous at best.

Thanks !
I own a pair of Salon2, which I bought new. They are better than the KEF Blades, IMHO. I am lucky enough to buy anything I want and because of the money I spend, dealers demo what I want. So far nothing made me change the Salon2.

However, there’s no support in UK for Revel, I expect Europe to be similar. When I had a driver failure I bought a used pair just to repair it.

Lsc

I wonder if it matters if the Salon2 was made in the USA, Mexico or Indonesia? Perhaps the older salons had better quality control? Just throwing it out there.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
However, there’s no support in UK for Revel, I expect Europe to be similar. When I had a driver failure I bought a used pair just to repair it.

A TOTL speaker with no dealer support or spare parts? Seriously? I don't believe it.

Revel would have shipped you a driver from the US wouldn't they?

OP
N

Nicolas

Forum Donor
Thank you all for your feedback, very appreciated.

Just so we are on the same page:
In my area, the list price for a pair of F328be is €19,2k / $21,2k since february '22 (was €18k / $19,9k before).
The Salon2 were €23k / $25,4k, officially End-of-Sales, not available at all anymore.
I don't know about support/parts availability but I am not overly confident; the demo I have arranged is with the benelux distributor so hopefully I'll have a clearer picture in a few weeks.
So in the end the value proposition (new or used) may be quite different here than in the US.

I certainly am also looking into the Kef range (and others as well) but since Revel -and particularly the Salon2- has a stellar reputation, now is the time for me to look into it, even if it is to eventually just check that box and look elsewhere.
I should mention I haven't heard any Revel speaker yet, ever. (...but that bass extension of the Salons certainly intrigues me... and is not found in the Kef range.)

I own a pair of Benchmark AHB2s, so amplification is taken care of (and I am not looking for actives).

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
I had the salon 2 for nearly a year and the Blade1 for about the same and just want to say bass is room dependent and amplifier dependent. I bought the salon 2 based on their reputation for the low end and was never able to experience it. I bought used and was able to resell the speakers without loss. All the experts say speaker response below 300 hz is quite room dependent and in my room I get better bass from speakers with side firing woofers. good luck.

Lsc

It’s always interesting to hear so many different experiences from the same speakers. It’s like an Expedia hotel review. “This hotel is awesome!” “This hotel is just ok” “this hotel is terrible!” .

My Salon2 that I bought used looks like it’s about 10 years old as it’s made in the USA. It looked flawless when I got it and it still looks brand new. More importantly, the bass from my Salon2 is thundering. The scale and dynamics is incredible and it also has the accuracy and clarity with no listening fatigue. Female vocals, male vocals, strings, organs, guitars, drums, you name it…it sounds amazing on the salons.

Yes, there could be a possibility of it being room dependent or it could possibly have been setup dependent. So, while you may get feedback that’s less than a 10, for me these speakers will hopefully last a long time. At least until salon3 comes out :).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A TOTL speaker with no dealer support or spare parts? Seriously? I don't believe it.

Revel would have shipped you a driver from the US wouldn't they?
Maybe you missed others posting where Revel said they don't offer spare parts for an old (10-15yrs) subwoofer in the USA?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Maybe you missed others posting where Revel said they don't offer spare parts for an old (10-15yrs) subwoofer in the USA?
I saw that, and commented.

Just a little hard to believe a company with aspirations to be anything other than just ordinary would be so short sighted to not provide spare parts for loudspeakers that cost as much as they do.

I'm disgusted with the anecdotes in relation to the lack of spare parts these days. But it's all changing, back to the way it was.

In the meantime, anyone buying should get a guarantee in writing ensuring reasonable access to an ongoing availability of replacement parts. Just like the auto industry.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the meantime, anyone buying should get a guarantee in writing ensuring reasonable access to an ongoing availability of replacement parts. Just like the auto industry.
I'm afraid the phrase "consumer goods" explains the issue. We are expected to "consume" those goods as fast as possible so that we buy new ones...

Top Bottom